Anyone taking Selegiline / Deprenyl For Longevity?

There are some who say it’s a good idea to take something with cysteine to go with these dopamine agonists. The cysteine is a precursor for glutathione.

1 Like

What testing service did you use to see this?

Have you (or anyone else) tested actual dopamine and neurotransmitter levels?

May I ask best way to test for this?

Ooh, I’m sorry you got glutened. It’s so easy to be ambushed.

I’ve been gluten-free since the '80s because I noticed it caused health problems. I’ve been ambushed so many times.

My current doc says she believes I have celiac disease but I’m not going to eat it for 6 weeks to get lesions in my small intestines for them to count to confirm it. If it hurts don’t do it.

And I get a lot of neurological symptoms from gluten- Confusion, fatigue, and irritability. Several years ago, I started going to a restaurant and the waiitress claimed they had a separate fryer for the french fries. I was so excited that I could have french fries again.

Gradually, I started getting irritable, confused and my joints started hurting. I had no idea why because I was eating gluten-free french fries.

Next time I went to that restaurant and talked to them about their separate fryer and safe fries. They said they don’t have that.

I was so delighted to know why I was feeling poorly.

At the beginning, I had lots of very nasty gut symptoms but after several years of being gluten free, when I get hit now it’s neurological and my joints. Probably has a dose response. Cuz at the beginning I was still eating gluten but now if I get hit it’s cross-contamination.

1 Like

That’s a bummer. It’s really hard to trust restaurants but I’m glad you figured it out. I work in a hospital and there’s hardly anything there I can eat. I would have a hard time trusting the food if I had to be hospitalized.

I tried 1,25 mg every other day for 6 months in 2020 after reading the book Super Human from Dave Asprey. I experienced no side effects, one positive effect: a little beter sexual sensations. I now only take it once a week in the weekends

1 Like

Below is a deprenyl study on dogs.

http://sci-hub.wf/10.1016/s0024-3205(97)00611-5

and my post in another thread on deprenyl (selegiline)…

Looking at the numbers on the table, stats fail to convince that Deprenyl is life prolonging.

Average age of the top eight dead placebo dogs is 5722 days. Average age of Deprenyl surviving dogs is 5120.69 days. Can those surviving dogs live another 601 days?

Average age of all dead placebo dogs is 5443 days. That is still 322 days older than the surviving Deprenyl dogs (5121). That is almost a year longer.

Longest lived dead placebo dog lived 6021 days. Longest lived deprenyl dog, dead or survived (it survived) is 5772 days. Can it live another 250 days? Maybe, maybe not.

Table is on the fifth page of RapAdmin’s link to the full text.

1 Like

What dose are you taking?

1 Like

1,25 mg. Haven’t tried a bigger dose

1 Like

Hi Jay,

i apologize for the delay. I just went into the app and saw I have a draft that didn’t get sent,

I take started taking dopamine precursors because I got hired to measure how taking them changed EEG. I added myself to the study to increase the sample size and my nervous system loved it.

Later, I found I have a homozygous over active MAOa SNP than makes me break down dopamine which explains why I like dopamine agonists so much.

Mucuna at 15% l dopa 200 mg capsule am and noon
Tyrosine powder 1 tablespoon am and noon
Modafinil 100 mg am and noon

I have taken selegiline on an off for about 25 years. It is an MAOb antagonist. Until recently, MAOb was thought to oxidize dopamine because is efficacious for Parkinson’s. Newer research suggests the effect is from breaking down subcortical GABA. I posted an article on this.

I noticed that selegiline did not to reduce the amount of dopamine precursors i needed which led me to the search where I found that it was not a dopamine agonist.

That said, I like what it does a lot.

lawson415,

Do you have a specific brand of mucuna that you prefer? I’ve tried NOW Brand “Dopa Mucuna”, but it upsets my digestive system. And, do you find that mucuna works better with food or on an empty stomach?

As for modafinil it is helpful when I need to stay on task (physical or mental) for a few hours, but it usually gives me a modafinil hangover a few hours after taking which I suspect is the beginning of dopamine depletion. So, I only use it if necessary early in the morning. I usually take only 50 mg to reduce the bad side effects. How do you manage to get to sleep if you take 100 mg at noon? If you have any thoughts about these questions I’ll be glad to hear them. But, I understand if you don’t have the time.

Thanks.

We got the MAOa SNPs from reanalyzing the raw genetic data from 23andMe. Over the years, I’ve used Genetic Genie which is the easiest , Nutracker, and Prometheus to re-analyze 23andMe data.

It may be possible to measure neurotransmitter levels from cerebral spinal fluid. There are alternative docs who believe you can tell about neurotransmitters from testing their levels in urine but I suspect that says more about the kidneys than about the nervous system.

I shared an office with a naturopath for a while and she ordered the cortisol test. We learned about the diurnal cortisol from doing a saliva test four times a day waking up, noon dinner time and bedtime. Salivary cortisol tests are used for psychophysiology research as well as clinically.

These tests showed I had low cortisol early in the morning and it didn’t become normal until close to bedtime, which may be why I stayed up late for a lot of my life.

I started doing dopamine agonists because I got hired to measure brain waves associated with taking tyrosine.

It was a pilot study so I figured I would participate just to get a larger sample size. And the dopamine agonist made me feel great. When I re-analyzed the 23andMe data and found out about my overactive homozygous MAOa, I understood why I liked tyrosine and mucuna so much.

Because of this overactive MAOa, I break down dopamine very fast. The references in Prometheus said this SNP is associated with chronic depression and that makes sense because if I don’t take my dopamine precursors, I can’t get out of my own way.

I suspect I can take such a high dose of tyrosine and mucuna because of the overactive MAOa. People without the overactive dopamine oxidation system I have would probably get very anxious with these levels of dopamine Agonist.

And I suspect I don’t crash from taking modafinil because I’m taking so much tyrosine. I do dopamine and mucuna both because the L DopA in mucuna only takes one step to become dopamine. There are more steps to convert tyrosine.

Deprenyl? I’ve been taking it since grad school in the early 90s.

It’s also a neuroprotectorant. There was a documentary about catatonic addicts about 35 years ago. I think it was part of the Nova series. The addicts had been using synthetic heroin and the fella making it let it get a little bit too hot and. made MPTP, a neurotoxin that quickly destroys the substantia nigra. The documentary discussed the Swiss chemist who discovered MPTP and had destroyed his own substantia nigra and had been catatonic in a mental hospital for decades and he was quickly brought back with L dopa.

The chemist reported remembering hearing and seeing everything that happened in his room during all this time.

Deprenyl has been known to protect from neurotoxins for a long time. This is part of why I started taking it. Here is a study from 20 years ago. There are also studies from this year looking at the mechanism of this protection.

“Pretreatment with selegiline can protect neurons against a variety of neurotoxins, such as 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6 tetrahydropyridine (MPTP), 6-hydroxydopamine, N-(2-chloroethyl)-N-ethyl-2-bromobenzylamine (DSP-4), methyl-beta-acetoxyethyl-2-chloroethylamine (AF64A), and 5,6-dihydroxyserotonin, which damage dopaminergic, adrenergic, cholinergic, and sertoninergic neurons, respectively.”

3 Likes

Thank you @Vulcan , appreciated

I’ve been taking seligeline since the 90s. It was a big smart drug back in those days. I just Googled seligiline central nervous system inflammation. Here’s a great article I found that suggests part of the neuroproductive aspect of seligiline comes from reducing inflammation in the central nervous system.

“In this study, we aimed to investigate whether selegiline has a protective capacity in the impairment of the BBB in both in vivo and in vitro experiments. In a sepsis mouse model, administration of selegiline ameliorated lipopolysaccharide (LPS)–induced impairment of BBB integrity. Additionally, treatment with selegiline increased the expression of the tight junction protein junctional adhesion molecule A (JAM-A) against LPS. Also, we found that selegiline inhibited the production of the proinflammatory cytokines tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α and interleukin (IL)-1β. In an in vitro experimental model, bEnd.3 brain endothelial cells were exposed to LPS. Results indicate that stimulation with LPS significantly increased the permeability of bEnd.3 cells and reduced the expression of JAM-A, both of which were rescued by treatment with selegiline. Additionally, selegiline prevented the activation of the NF-κB/MLCK/p-MLC signaling pathway in LPS-challenged bEnd.3 cells. These results indicate that selegiline exerted a protective effect on BBB dysfunction, which might be attributed to the inhibition of the NF-κB/MLCK/p-MLC signaling pathway. These findings provide a basis for further research into the neuroprotective mechanism of selegiline.”

4 Likes

Excellent Vulcan! I’m revisiting this after my gluten fiasco earlier this year. So far for just a few days it’s going much better. It definitely seems good for my marriage.

3 Likes

What is something that raises dopamine? (supplement or medication?)

Lucky man, I like this, especially coming from a woman :smile: !

1 Like

Tyrosine is a precursor for dopamine.
Mucuna puriens is too. It has L Dopa and works fast. Tyrosine is slower to come on but lasts longer.

I have homozygous overactive MAOa SNPS that quickly break down the dopamine. I make. Apparently, these SNPs are associated with long-term depression. My sweetheart has the underactive MAOa SNPS so she cannot break down dopamine very well. When she was prescribed ropinirole for a restless leg, she got so anxious, she became agoraphobic and couldn’t leave the house.

If you’ve got 23andMe or other kinds of genetic analysis that can help figure out which pathways are broken and help choose appropriate supplements.

I take modafinil 100 mg am and noon. I’m actually a perfect candidate this med because i need naps everyday and that’s what is designed for- daytime sleepiness This raises dopamine in the sleep wake cners, focus and cheerfulness. It does not raise dopamine generally which can be unpleasant…

Now brand mucuna is standardized to 15% L dopa son cap is 60mg l dopa. I take one cap am and ohe at noon

5 Likes

This is where we really need an AI that can parse our genetic data and suggest supplements and medications based on our specific genetic makeup.

4 Likes