4 mg Rapa every 10 days - Seeking Feedback on my Overall Supplement Stack

Link to Dr. Walter Pierpaoli, MD, PhD web site;

https://culturapierpaoli.ch/?lang=en

REPLAY - Webinar - Melatonin deficiency

Russel J. Reiter presenting some of his work.

2 Likes

@prophet1
Its good to see someone with a very well developed supplements stack. Although I also take a lot of supplements many of them i dont use on a daily basis.

You have a lot of good ones in there as long as theyre not overly high doses that damage or disrupt some other function. My only suggestion may be to error on the lower side of dosages if on the fence. I personally see no issue with the low-dose aspirin someone mentioned its effect on melatonin? but thats not going to majorly affect it. aspirin will predominately be a good antinflammatory plus it extends lifespan in mice studies.

Also a low BMI like yours is a good thing in terms of reducing the rate of aging. Most people dont fully appreciate that aging is a entropic process and having more of different forms of repair is better than a few high dose supplements.
(at least for those aiming for max/indefinite lifespan )

4 Likes

You need help brother. I would reevaluate your priorities.

Appreciate the counsel - thanks!

Fully agree to err on the low side with dosages and do no harm – trying that with staying low at 4 mg RAPA for now and keeping the interval out at 10 days . . . “first, do no harm”

4 Likes

Joseph, I watched the video. And he suggested to take 0.1 to 1 mg Melatonin. This is low dose compare to 180 mg? What is your thoughts about this?

2 Likes

Review the commentary by Shallenberger

See posting number 45 above, posted at the end.

I take 200mg of melatonin, 200mg of zinc and 400mcg of selenium at the same time.

The zinc and selenium are based on Pierpaoli dosing.

See post 49 on this thread, link to
Pierpaoli web site

2 Likes

I take varied amounts of melatonin between 10mg and 0.99g. Today, however is a drinking day and we are having a party and i am already drunk. This may mean a low melatonin dose as i may sleep through.

4 Likes

Starting low is, however, a good idea.

3 Likes

Certainly appreciate your perspective, but . . . in “do no harm”, I’m not trying treat a “condition / illness” . . . I am a pretty healthy 63 year old who would “normally” live another 20-25 years give or take.

I’m new to the forum, as I just started RAPA 4 months ago. Anecdotally from reading past threads, I’m seeing several members experiencing significant side effect – materially worsening Lipid panels, immune disregulation manifest in canker sores, bacterial skin infections and shingles, plus the known glucose metabolism side effects . . . I have already been taking low dose metformin more than a decade.

Canker sores are noted frequently because they are obvious. But one has to wonder, what other less obvious viral (or worse) manifestations are being unleashed by immune disregulation? Lots of smarter folks here than me, but trying to understand why a healthy person would risk a significant adverse event in the short term with the higher doses and short intervals discussed . . .

Alternately, seeing very few people citing short-term positive impacts – actually to the contrary on the day(s) of the dose . . . I’m concluding much of this is a pursuit on faith of possible benefits a decade or more down the road for me. Would certainly see it different if there were myriad reports here of short term positive improvements in biomarkers and functional measures – I may have missed those.

Regardless, why not start at very low dose and long interval, observe the mid-term effects over the 1st year or two and adjust from there – this is not rhetorical question . . . i.e. “First, do no harm”

3 Likes

Really appreciate the input – intuitively agree that having many smaller (hopefully) synergistic interventions is lower risk and potentially more effective than a handful of “big bets” . . . much like portfolio theory in finance. Erring on the side of low dose 100% agree – going to relook at some of my doses. Metformin already down at 500 mg / day.

4 Likes

Yea its not only lower in risk but also likely suitable for the aging situation (diseases of aging is another matter). Aging itself isnt a quantitative change but rather a decrease in the signal to noise ratio of the whole phenotype. Some interventions may significantly slow the overall rate of damage but they are rare.

4 Likes

Make sure you do at least annual kidney function tests. Lithium is nephrotoxic.

1 Like

The amount people are using for longevity purposes is in micro-dose levels, 1mg to 5mg or so. Not the multi-hundred mg levels used in bipolar disorder.

More info: A primer on Lithium, Lithium + Rapamycin & other Lithium salts with potentially more stable and safer pharmacokinetics

And related: Low-dose lithium may slow kidney aging

4 Likes

I would drop the NAC and CoQ10

3 Likes

Although I might agree that dropping NAC and CoQ10 relying on a page posted by an company (Novos Labs) which aims to promote their own supplement (Novos Core) is not the best thing to do.

There are, however, good arguments to cycle certain anti-oxidants such as Vitamin C.

These are the Novos Core ingredients

I wish people would say how ingredients are taken ie Magnesium as what form?

2 Likes

I take a lot of supplements as well and have decided that, rather than just supplementing based on good data about a nutrient, I would actually like to see if I can target better to my actual needs. I am extremely focus on high quality food but don’t know the nutrient load I am getting from all the vegetables, fruit, mushrooms, and proteins that I eat. Am I supplementing nutrients that I already have in abundance? Am I missing some area that just isn’t adequately covered in my intake? So… following the approach of precision medicine I have just ordered Search Tests

I am hoping to start to get a better picture of deficiencies, over consumption or just sufficient levels. In this way I am hoping to dial in my supplements.

3 Likes

(Gly) nac and coq10 supppletion are 2 of few on that list that actually has a bit of research supporting them

4 Likes

This is the problem with manufacturer papers. I personally don’t take either coq10 or NAC.

In a sense this is where examine.com are trying to go. I did try a paid account there, but in the end I find it better to go back to the original papers.

The problem is that dosage and timing of dosage are such important things that if they are not taken into account the conclusions are often not much use.

3 Likes

Great point – last Creatinine (6 months ago) was 121 so lots of room for improvement – will be careful and maybe do lithium every other day – intent was neuro-protection and I had read that it supports autophagy.