Who in the Health and Longevity Field are Taking Rapamycin (part 2)

Yes, this is something under discussion a lot on social media these days, and something being pushed by Allergan (botox manufacturers), and Derms.

they call it “preventative botox”…

There are no large scale clinical or observational studies of preventative Botox. One 2006 study looked at identical twins, just two people, over 13 years. One received regular Botox injections. The other did not. The researchers found that lines were “not evident in the regularly treated twin” where she had received injections, but did appear in her sister. The untreated areas of both their faces showed “comparable aging.” In a follow-up, when the twins were 44, the twin who received treatments did not have static lines at rest; her sister did.

A 2011 study looked at whether the effects of repeated injections reduce or eliminate forehead wrinkles long term. Every four months, a group of 45 women, aged 30 to 50, received small amounts of botulinum toxin in their foreheads. Doctors assessed them two years after they began treatment, once the last treatment would have worn off, and found that the neurotoxin significantly reduced their wrinkles.

The Downside: Cost, about $450 each series of injection, on average. Internalized Negative Beliefs about Aging & Beauty

“Neurotoxin injections are a huge cash cow for dermatology offices,” said Valerie Monroe, the former beauty director at O, The Oprah Magazine and the author of a Substack newsletter on beauty.

Alternatives do exist. Many doctors pointed to sunscreen or retinols, which can increase collagen in the skin and work to counteract the visible effects of aging.

And few women in their 20s and 30s have deep, static lines, which means they have little use for the so-called preventative injections. If you’re considering Botox in your 30s, seek a dermatologist who will talk to you about why you want the treatment. Sometimes, dermatologists will suggest patients wait.

Dr. David A. Colbert, the co-founder and head physician of the New York Dermatology Group, said he worries that some patients have internalized damaging messages about aging and beauty.

“It’s a pretty toxic, heavy message,” he said. “People don’t even really analyze it anymore. They’re just like: ‘I can’t get too many wrinkles or I just will look awful.’”

2 Likes

Yes, I would not want to be without it. If you are brave you can DIY. You’ll need to learn facial anatomy, etc. but it’s not nearly as dangerous as self-injecting with filler.

I would post a pic but I am too shy. So I will PM you if you do not mind.

Edited to add-- I did not get botox until 43, and then I skipped it for about 15 years because I couldn’t convince myself it was worth the money. But recently I started again and it is amazing me.

I doubt it is preventing wrinkles when started in youth. That’s probably a huge waste of money. Sunscreen and retin-A can take care of lines in youth and early middle age.

But Botox is frigging amazing after 55.

1 Like

Ok, found this:

What muscles does the Katalyst System activate?

Katalyst is a full-body workout that stimulates all major muscle groups (arms, legs, back, chest, core, glutes) at the same time, even hard-to-reach muscles like back stabilizers. The impulses can reach up to 90% of the fibers within each muscle, more than twice what you could engage with conventional training.

Some people ask us about training certain muscles, such as calves and forearms. Directly stimulating these muscles with Katalyst would be difficult and potentially cause you to lose your balance. They are, however, indirectly stimulated through exercise movements and the nerves that run through your upper extremities.

1 Like

And on use within family / friends

https://support.katalyst.com/en-US/how-many-accounts-can-i-create-with-one-membership-274497

Mark T. Bertolini (born 1956) is an American businessman who is the Co-CEO of Bridgewater Associates, one of the world’s largest hedge funds. He was previously the CEO of Aetna

Source: https://twitter.com/chrissyfarr/status/1705205408632127830

2 Likes

Wow - @Krister_Kauppi , you want to add this guy to the list.

But - the Wiki article is old - he’s now at a company called Oscar Health, a health insurance company (that, as people in that twitter thread point out, does not cover rapamycin for longevity applications):

Bridgewater is a very famous hedge fund, formerly run by Ray Dalio. In fact I was just reading about the company last week:

More info:

3 Likes

Because?
“People with psychopathy crave power and dominant positions, experts say. But they are also chameleons, able to disguise their ruthlessness and antisocial behavior under the veneer of charm and eloquence”
“One route to grabbing power for the highly intelligent psychopath is to climb the corporate ladder.”

4 Likes

I can’t find the interview though, you always come up with magic, maybe you can give it a go.

2 Likes

@RapAdmin & @DeStrider: If you look at this image what would you guess Robert Nelsen’s rapamycin dose is? 6mg or 8mg?

1 Like

@Jonas Great finding regarding Mark Bertolini.

@Jonas & @RapAdmin It would be great if we could find his dose regime. I have asked Christina where I can find the interview. Lets see if she answers. Google search did not help in finding the article.

https://twitter.com/KristerKauppi/status/1705493520025358394

1 Like

Ray Dalio’s son Devon died in 2021 in a car accident, he was a supporter of healthspan/longevity research.

The firm’s focus, Parker said, “aligned with Devon’s passion for longevity and healthcare, for not just extending lifespan, but health-span.”

https://www.institutionalinvestor.com/article/2bsx81sr42ufbarag7i80/culture/he-was-a-beautiful-soul-friends-and-coworkers-remember-devon-dalio-bridgewater-founders-eldest-son

I don’t know if it’s related, but there might’ve been discussions about this topic in that circle.

3 Likes

David Sabbatini (co-discoverer of mTOR and major dissector of its biochemistry) indicated on the latest episode of The Drive that he doesn’t take it.

4 Likes

Apparently i am at the top of the pack. 10mg With GFJ and EVOO, that’s about 70mg weekly. lol

2 Likes

He is waiting for the dog study to finish showing positive result on lifespan at 2026. He is in pretty good shape (55), so he has plenty time. He also has the personality of being extremely systematic and through so it makes sense that he is waiting.

4 Likes

It’s a Katalyst suit. It directly stimulates 90% of muscle. Yes it hits glutes.

He doesn’t take it now… but during his youthful years as a PhD he ingested a lot of it during years of research. He claims.

In mice studies… young mice on rapamycin for a few mouse years… then put on a self… lived as long as those constantly on it. A long time.

Sabatini may have gotten his fill in his youth. Hahaha.

Or, he is taking it and not telling.

2 Likes

Just saw this on business insider… more public interest. Businessman Dr. Peter H. Diamandis (born 1961): This American engineer is best known as the founder and chair of what is now the Ansari X-Prize Foundation. A native of the Bronx, Diamandis holds a Bachelor of Science in molecular genetics and Master’s degree in Aeronautics and Astronautics, both from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He later attended Harvard Medical School, where he earned his M.D.

He is what you might call a longevity chaser… touting muscle resistance, rapamycin, metformin… and a heavy protein diet :muscle:.

More and more people every week.

3 Likes