Which supplements are good for ALMOST EVERYONE?

Thanks for posting that. Point taken… that although there was some longevity increase from Green tea extract in that study the p value was .39 in males.

I’m basing my intake on an earlier study which showed a stat significant 6.4% longevity increase. The effects of tetrahydrocurcumin and green tea polyphenol on the survival of male C57BL/6 mice - PubMed

And also the fact that in midlife the ITP data showed a statistically significant survival boost from GTE. They hypothesized that: “Nonetheless, the pattern of survival … are consistent with the idea that this agent might reduce mortality rate at early ages while at the same time increasing it at later ages.”

1 Like

All site data does look like mean lifespan vs maximal life span may be up slightly – but may not be statistically significant – I like wise do green tea matcha daily.

1 Like

I think it’s important to note that the reason they couldn’t get sulforaphane to work is because it is unstable and thus difficult to formulate into their chow so the mice are actually consuming a known dose. He doesn’t fundamentally think it’s a non-starter.

A French company manufactures a stabilised form of sulforaphane called Prostaphane. It still needs to be kept refrigerated so maybe still some challenges to doing an ITP with it but I sure hope they try.

2 Likes

So to summarize the list which could be useful to most people beyond Rapamycin (looking for corrections):

o. Vitamin D (I take 5k units/day)

o. Vitamin B3/12 (I don’t take, but probably just laziness)

o. Vitamin K2 (I don’t take, but probably just laziness)

o. Creatinine (I don’t take, but eat sufficient animal protein including liver)

o. Selenium (I don’t take but eat Brazil nuts, not as a supplement)

o. Magnesium (I don’t take but probably just laziness)

o. Omega-3 (I’m not taking this and never fully understood this because 3g of fish/krill oil per day is a drop in the bucket versus the fats I eat daily, so how does this move the needle? Also, I’m careful about not eating seed oils, and believe my intake of omega-3 vs 6 is probably pretty decent)

o. Metformin (I’m not taking but I am trying citrus bergamot because of high LDL from doing a “temporary” carnivore diet which appears to have muscle-building benefits, but am considering just taking metformin instead — even if LDL falls — because of possible longevity and atherosclerosis / cancer protection)

Supplements there doesn’t seem to be consensus on (not that they don’t work, only that people didn’t massively chime in supporting them):

GlyNAC (I’m taking low-ish dose but don’t see any impact)

fisetin

spermidine

CoQ10

Boron

Fiber

Collegen

Acarbose

astaxanthin

Hyaluronic acid

Melatonin

@RapAdmin : does this make sense to try a vote on these? — list a huge number of supplements and we can check off which we take (or which we think are effective)? Then you can use the data to issue a press release to market your site/work, or even a research paper if you get enough responses.

7 Likes

I think we already did this mostly… please see the survey here (scroll down the the supplement section) and you can see what people are taking (and please respond yourself to the entire survey / poll if you have not yet): Rapamycin User Survey #2 - Please Respond

2 Likes

If you take Selenium you might as well take Iodine, as my understanding is they are synergistic.

What about Krill Oil vs Fish Oil? The former is supposed to have higher levels of O3…

Rap is still my #1 supplement and I would forego all others just for Rap is need be… no supplement makes me feel so good as Rap does, don’t really care about the longevity aspect of it but the quality of life it gives me today.

2 Likes

I tend to follow Rhonda Patrick one some supplement guidance, like fish oil and sulphoraphane. On fish oils, she recommends DHA at pretty high levels, which is not easy to achieve with Krill Oil. She’s had numerous podcasts on the topic - not sure if this is the best one, but shes a scientist who has trained in some of the better labs and knows her stuff:

and

2 Likes

Have you seen any third-party validation on this product - that confirm their claims? There are other companies out there like Brassica by Johns Hopkins researchers that seems effective: Company Information - Brassica

So sorry I missed this. @RapAdmin : thanks for doing it.

1 Like

Yes. As referenced from this paper:

And also:

Discussed by Rhonda Patrick:

3 Likes

I think she is going a little too extreme with the omega-3 and specially DHA. She is not taking into account the fact that higher amount of omega-3 fatty acids lead to a higher unsaturation index in cell membranes and there is a strong inverse correlation between the unsaturation index and longevity among animal species. The higher the unsaturation index the more prone the membranes are to harmful peroxidation, in the same way that polyunsaturated oils are very prone to go rancid while monounsaturated or saturated are much more stable. The same stability applies to the fats inside your body. To live super long you probably want to be careful to not have too many unsaturated fatty acids in your membranes. The omega-3 are particularly unsaturated, and DHA is worse than EPA.

This is one reason I aim to get more EPA than DHA and while I have taken omega-3 for decades I don’t want to go to crazy on the dose.

5 Likes

This supplement is sold in the US and Canada under the name Broc. It does not need to be kept refrigerated, but it is better to store it cool. Quoting from the Prostaphane FAQ:

The ideal place to store Prostaphane® is in the refrigerator, but it can be kept at room temperature. Refrigeration ensures that 100% of the potency is retained over time. Storing at room temperature can slightly reduce sulforaphane content—less than 2% (0.2mg) over the course of one month. Despite some heat exposure, at least 10mg of sulforaphane per Prostaphane® caspule are guaranteed as specified on packaging.

Broc has done lab analyses of bioavailability for a range of sulforaphane supplements, and perhaps not surprisingly it appears to come out on top.

1 Like

Interesting. This makes it even more attractive for use in a future ITP. I don’t know the exact details but as I understand it they struggled to get a sulforaphane formulation to work and for that reason abandoned it previously.

1 Like

I think you mean creatine not creatinine.

3 Likes

Yes, I think she posts anonymously on Twitter as Julia B. If yes, she is a zealot for Lovaza (pharma EPA) and so anti-rapamycin it is close to disinformation.

1 Like

I may have to change my mind on omega 3s. While they may not cause harm, they may not provide as much benefits as stated since the placebo mineral oil used in the REDUCE study DID cause harmful effects.

I only hope that the drug developers did not do this intentionally to make their product more appealing.

4 Likes

I take an Omega 3 supplement twice a week. I found when I stopped taking it that I developed some aches. Hence I have concluded it has a positive effect for me. I probably have more Omega 3 now than I had then, however.

3 Likes

I will still take Omega 3, but the research issue from the study is very troubling. The researchers at best made a mistake and at worst were willfully deceptive.

3 Likes

Was “Mineral Oil” really a good idea in the first instance (as the placebo).

I looked at the paper and could not see a more precise description, but I am not sure i would want to drink this:

1 Like