Which supplements are good for ALMOST EVERYONE?

Diet is also crucial here. Buy the book Acid Watcher Diet.

2 Likes

One interesting thing is that probably everyone here, myself included, would list rapamycin as a supplement that is good for everyone. That is why we are here. I think if you were to ask the same question among professionals in the longevity space, rapamycin would be a controversial choice.

1 Like

I think most people would benefit from sulforaphane supplementation.

2 Likes

Rich Miller says they couldn’t get Sulforaphane to work (1:08):

3 Likes

You’re certainly moving in the right direction… but you can still cut back further.

1 Like

This.

Though I don’t take magnesium because I eat copious dark chocolate and avocado.

4 Likes

Well, I am stopping my Acarbose supplementation. On my diet which is roughly “South Beach” by natural selection, I am experiencing too much gas and unpleasant lower digestive problems to the point it is just not worth it to me to continue with Acarbose.

7 Likes

is a bit too much for me. Magnesium depends strongly on your diet and your country.
Vitamin D3 too. A south italien who eats >3 days a week fatty fish want need it.
Arcabose is a nice one - in therory. But I am unsure if I would try it even if I was a hermit and want to playing the trumpet all the time.

But I really like the idea creating a supplement list with a short description why someone is taking a supplement.

4 Likes

More reason to take Omega-3s from a Mayo Clinic Meta-analysis involving 135,000+ individuals.

2 Likes

I’m a green tea fan - I drink a 1.5 litres a day, cold brewed (just put a teabag in my drinks bottle).

I do it for it’s anti-inflammatory and probable senolytic affect. And because the observational human data shows a clear correlation to lifespan and healthspan

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hnm.2022.200149 An update on healthspan and lifespan enhancing attributes of tea amidst the emerging understanding of aging biology

Ohishi T, Goto S, Monira P, Isemura M, Nakamura Y. Anti-inflammatory Action of Green Tea. Antiinflamm Antiallergy Agents Med Chem. 2016;15(2):74-90. doi: 10.2174/1871523015666160915154443. PMID: 27634207.

3 Likes

I also drink green tea… but it failed the ITP

2 Likes

Thanks for posting that. Point taken… that although there was some longevity increase from Green tea extract in that study the p value was .39 in males.

I’m basing my intake on an earlier study which showed a stat significant 6.4% longevity increase. The effects of tetrahydrocurcumin and green tea polyphenol on the survival of male C57BL/6 mice - PubMed

And also the fact that in midlife the ITP data showed a statistically significant survival boost from GTE. They hypothesized that: “Nonetheless, the pattern of survival … are consistent with the idea that this agent might reduce mortality rate at early ages while at the same time increasing it at later ages.”

1 Like

All site data does look like mean lifespan vs maximal life span may be up slightly – but may not be statistically significant – I like wise do green tea matcha daily.

1 Like

I think it’s important to note that the reason they couldn’t get sulforaphane to work is because it is unstable and thus difficult to formulate into their chow so the mice are actually consuming a known dose. He doesn’t fundamentally think it’s a non-starter.

A French company manufactures a stabilised form of sulforaphane called Prostaphane. It still needs to be kept refrigerated so maybe still some challenges to doing an ITP with it but I sure hope they try.

2 Likes

So to summarize the list which could be useful to most people beyond Rapamycin (looking for corrections):

o. Vitamin D (I take 5k units/day)

o. Vitamin B3/12 (I don’t take, but probably just laziness)

o. Vitamin K2 (I don’t take, but probably just laziness)

o. Creatinine (I don’t take, but eat sufficient animal protein including liver)

o. Selenium (I don’t take but eat Brazil nuts, not as a supplement)

o. Magnesium (I don’t take but probably just laziness)

o. Omega-3 (I’m not taking this and never fully understood this because 3g of fish/krill oil per day is a drop in the bucket versus the fats I eat daily, so how does this move the needle? Also, I’m careful about not eating seed oils, and believe my intake of omega-3 vs 6 is probably pretty decent)

o. Metformin (I’m not taking but I am trying citrus bergamot because of high LDL from doing a “temporary” carnivore diet which appears to have muscle-building benefits, but am considering just taking metformin instead — even if LDL falls — because of possible longevity and atherosclerosis / cancer protection)

Supplements there doesn’t seem to be consensus on (not that they don’t work, only that people didn’t massively chime in supporting them):

GlyNAC (I’m taking low-ish dose but don’t see any impact)

fisetin

spermidine

CoQ10

Boron

Fiber

Collegen

Acarbose

astaxanthin

Hyaluronic acid

Melatonin

@RapAdmin : does this make sense to try a vote on these? — list a huge number of supplements and we can check off which we take (or which we think are effective)? Then you can use the data to issue a press release to market your site/work, or even a research paper if you get enough responses.

7 Likes

I think we already did this mostly… please see the survey here (scroll down the the supplement section) and you can see what people are taking (and please respond yourself to the entire survey / poll if you have not yet): Rapamycin User Survey #2 - Please Respond

2 Likes

If you take Selenium you might as well take Iodine, as my understanding is they are synergistic.

What about Krill Oil vs Fish Oil? The former is supposed to have higher levels of O3…

Rap is still my #1 supplement and I would forego all others just for Rap is need be… no supplement makes me feel so good as Rap does, don’t really care about the longevity aspect of it but the quality of life it gives me today.

2 Likes

I tend to follow Rhonda Patrick one some supplement guidance, like fish oil and sulphoraphane. On fish oils, she recommends DHA at pretty high levels, which is not easy to achieve with Krill Oil. She’s had numerous podcasts on the topic - not sure if this is the best one, but shes a scientist who has trained in some of the better labs and knows her stuff:

and

2 Likes

Have you seen any third-party validation on this product - that confirm their claims? There are other companies out there like Brassica by Johns Hopkins researchers that seems effective: Company Information - Brassica