Where to buy Highest Quality Sirolimus? (at US Pharmacies)

New member here. I DO have a prescription for Sirolimus. 1 mg 90 days. Where is best place to fill in order to get highest quality since its generic? Example CVS, WalGreens, WalMart? How do I find out who the manufacturer is before filling? For ex. Does CVS typically source with a more reputable generic maker than say a local independent pharmacy? I have read about ordering online but that seems to be if one needs an Rx. I would pay more $ for a better quality if I could figure out which was better. Thank you for your recommendations.

FWIW, start by going to www.singlecare.com
You can see prices at locations by zip code and get a discount card.

1 Like

Hi, and welcome to the site. Thanks for posting. In the USA I believe that there are only two manufacturers of the generic version of sirolimus: Glenmark (which seems to be the most common source) and Dr. Reddy’s. I have never seen any comparison’s between the quality of these two generics, but given that this drug is used primarily for organ transplant patients - and if the drug was not working, the wrong dosing, or had contaminants, it seems likely that the patients would notice relatively quickly.

I don’t know if any of the pharmacy chains focus on a specific manufacturer of sirolimus.

If you are very concerned about quality of the generics (which I don’t think is a big concern generally), you can always go with the brand name product Pfizer Rapamune. You can also order the Pfizer rapamune from overseas where it is about $3.5 / mg.

We have some lab tests on drugs from India which are quite inexpensive (typically around $1/mg). See the lab tests on quality here: Rapamycin / Sirolimus from India, Lab Test Report on Quality / Purity

Here is some other information on the different sources of rapamycin:
See: How to buy Rapamycin (Sirolimus)? What is the cost?
To get Rapamune: No Prescription Needed for Rapamycin Purchase in Turkey

and: How to buy Rapamycin (Sirolimus)? What is the cost?

I think there are more than two. Last refill was from this one:
https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=ad39eb60-1fa0-4722-8ba1-523194921c2a

I think you’ll find CVS and Walgreens are very expensive even with a discount card (Combined they control so much of th market they don’t offer discounts). The cheapest I have been able to find is at the pharmacy of a supermarket using the singlecare discount card, but its also worth checking Goodrx in your area.

Interesting… I’ve never heard of Northstar Rx, but looking more closely I see that this is just the “Packager” and the manufacturer is Glenmark:

Here is a full list of the FDA approved manufacturers of Sirolimus:

Generic Rapamune Availability

Last updated on Sep 8, 2022.

Rapamune is a brand name of sirolimus, approved by the FDA in the following formulation(s):

RAPAMUNE (sirolimus - solution;oral)

• Manufacturer: PF PRISM CV
    Approval date: September 15, 1999
    Strength(s): 1MG/ML [RLD] [AA]

RAPAMUNE (sirolimus - tablet;oral)

Approval date: August 25, 2000
    Strength(s): 1MG [RLD] [AB]
    Approval date: August 22, 2002
    Strength(s): 2MG [RLD] [AB]
    Approval date: February 23, 2004
    Strength(s): 5MG (discontinued) [RLD]
    Approval date: January 25, 2010
    Strength(s): 0.5MG [RLD] [AB]

Has a generic version of Rapamune been approved?

A generic version of Rapamune has been approved by the FDA. However, this does not mean that the product will necessarily be commercially available - possibly because of drug patents and/or drug exclusivity. The following products are equivalent to Rapamune and have been approved by the FDA:

sirolimus solution;oral

• Manufacturer: AMNEAL
    Approval date: October 18, 2019
    Strength(s): 1MG/ML [AA]
  • Manufacturer: APOTEX
    Approval date: October 22, 2019
  • Manufacturer: NOVITIUM PHARMA
    Approval date: January 28, 2019

sirolimus tablet;oral

• Manufacturer: ALKEM LABS LTD
    Approval date: March 12, 2021
    Strength(s): 0.5MG [AB], 1MG [AB], 2MG [AB]
  • Manufacturer: DR REDDYS
    Approval date: October 27, 2014
    Strength(s): 1MG [AB], 2MG [AB]
  • Manufacturer: GLENMARK PHARMS LTD
    Approval date: October 16, 2020
    Strength(s): 0.5MG [AB], 1MG [AB], 2MG [AB]
  • Manufacturer: ZYDUS PHARMS
    Approval date: January 8, 2014
    Strength(s): 0.5MG [AB]

Source: https://www.drugs.com/availability/generic-rapamune.html

But I’ve heard most often from people here that their generic (purchased in the USA from regular pharmacies) is Glenmark manufactured…

Thank you all for this information.

Amazon pharmacy Carries it.

Pfizer ran out of Rapamune at the beginning of December. They could not even obtain it from their foreign source to supply transplant patients. My December shipment was canceled. They referred their customers to order Sirolimus from Rx.

1 Like