The Case for Starting Rapamycin Earlier in Life (e.g. late 20s) vs middle age (e.g. 50s)

Great job Captn!

A good dentist is hard to find. I had been going to a dentist for many years, and every time I had a cavity that he filled. Then I decided to try another dentist, and every time I went to her, I had a clean bill of health with no cavities. After a while, I went back to the first dentist and he said I had two cavities and a gold crown that needed to be replaced with a new ceramic one. I asked him to write down the numbers of the teeth that needed cavities repaired and the one with the gold crown.

Here’s where it gets interesting. I took those numbers to my new dentist, and she said there were no cavities and the crown did not need to be replaced. Then I went to my friend’s expensive dentist for a second opinion, and he agreed that there were no cavities and the crown was fine. The first dentist had been milking me for years on end fixing cavities that weren’t there!!! Several years on, and the cavities have never appeared and the crown is still great.

I have never been back to the original dentist, but I told my parents, and lo and behold, the same thing was happening with the dentist that they had been going to for years. I guess SOME dentists don’t want to exist on teeth cleanings alone. They need some phantom cavities to fix!!!

3 Likes

Of course there are rotten apples in my profession too but it is not as simple as you say. Some interventions are clear but there are a lot of greys too. I would give different advice for the same problem based on insurance. Eg when people have a small yearly budget but many restaurations it would make sense to start replacing them preventively before everything needs replacing at the same time but for others with a large budget you can wait until it is really necessary.

3 Likes

True, there are good and bad apples in every profession. I think my story was just a warning not to be too trusting of anyone. It’s always good to get a second or third opinion especially if there is a lot of money or your health on the line. Sorry to all the great dentists out there like the second and third ones I visited!

I guess the same could apply to certain longevity experts as well…

2 Likes

My point was that your old dentist might not be a fraud but knows you and your parents and plans ahead unlike the other 2 dentists who might upon acquiring the reason for your visit might change their plan story (I always ask the reason why people came to me and of course if they say that another dentist saw x caries I will tell them I see x-y and y teeth we need to monitor) but I really can’t tell without at least seeing x-rays.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Rapamycin increases Alzheimer’s-associated plaques in mice, study finds

“Unhealthy lifestyles during adolescence when cells are rapidly dividing may have lasting harmful effects,” says lead author Anna Kankaanpää, a doctoral researcher at the Gerontology Research Center and Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences at the University of Jyväskylä, Finland.

Overall, the clocks suggested that individuals in the two groups classified as having unhealthy behaviors were, on average, 1.7 to 3.3 years older than individuals who reported more healthy lifestyles during their adolescence. This is equivalent to aging about 2 to 3 weeks faster each calendar year.

Open Access Paper:

4 Likes

I will add Dr. Blagosklonny continually seems to lean towards “post-growth” rapamycin from low-dose to high-dose (12 mg is roughly what he considers to be a high dose) with increasing age as the preferable option from his view.

He suggests 21-25 to be the age (as a very rough example) and emphasizes the importance of initiation in early life.

However, I will note the brain does not stop growing at age 21.

He even briefly talks about the brain here but I wonder if he understands it well.

“Rapamycin treatment during development severely inhibits growth and decreases the size of organs, including the brain”

Note rapamycin can reduce synaptic transmission and neural stem cell proliferation. Different regions develop at different rates and there is no age limit to neuroplasticity. There is overwhelming evidence of neurogenesis throughout life as well. So you have to do some complex trade-off calculation here that is not often done. We do know neuropsychiatric conditions happen with kidney transplant rapamycin users.

4 Likes

Hi, when you say 6mg intermittently… Are you roughly talking weekly or longer?

That’s an old post. I now take 8 mg weekly, but my T continues to decline.

3 Likes

This is so true considering that brain growth, maturation, pruning, and increased specialization of our default mode network, along with other aspects associated with emotional intelligence and even wisdom continue likely well past 25. I think I would personally wait till I started to experience some of the medical problems that often happen in our late 30s. I am 61 now and have kept in pretty good shape, but I think it’s time for me to start because I can see systems starting to fail in little ways. We have to be careful about inhibiting brain growth too early. And no one knows when that is!

2 Likes

I’m guessing there is an optimal tipping point that is different for everyone. So let’s say we gave it to a 13 yo human male; in theory, at least in mice, there is inhibition of growth in height and size and musculature. So there is probably a lower limit of utility unless you don’t mind being short statured or particularly strong, or fertile. And we are not certain of the impact on that 13 yr olds brain development.

2 Likes

I recommend everyone listen to this podcast/interview with Brian Kennedy where he talks about mTOR inhibition by rapamycin.

He talks about how mTOR never really is fully inhibited and a cycle is probably optimal.

6 Likes

That mTOR is never fully inhibited is also why MikhailB is probably wrong/misguided in advocating high protein + rapamycin (and why optimal is more likely to be high beans/plant foods + rapamycin). He ages better than he used to, but he still does not age as well as an optimal person would.

(Okay yes AT HIS AGE it’s fine, but not in younger people)

3 Likes

The level of inhibition of mTOR will be different in different cells.

1 Like

Aging includes function. Older people may well likely be better off with higher protein intake. Considering Dr. B’s age I don’t think it’s unreasonable at all to take more protein.

How is your most recent DEXA scan? I recall you had a T=-3.0 on FB once - that’s very concerning. Last I checked, your vegan CR, dislike for resistance training, and the supplements/prescription drugs you take are associated with osteoporosis, fracture risk, and subsequent early mortality risk. You need resistance training for lean mass and bone health.

3 Likes

have to agree, I don’t understand why you would want so much protein with rapamycin if the point is to inhibit it as much as possible. Plant protein maybe but not animal

2 Likes

Seems obvious to me that you should fast as much as possible while rapamycin is in your system, although I don’t see many people mention it, so I could be the odd man out.

1 Like

Its really not so obvious… we don’t know the optimal levels of autophagy, nor do we know the levels of autophagy in each organ created by different dosing rapamycin or length of fasting… so lots of unknowns. See these threads for more details:

Here: Measuring Autophagy in Body and Brain, Comparing Autophagy Activators

Here: What’s autophagy? It’s the ultimate detox that doesn’t yet live up to the hype

2 Likes

I do think that eating normally while taking Rapamycin could lead to dyslipidemia and higher HBA1C. I think fasting while taking Rapamycin could prevent these two issues. But that’s my WAG until I do some testing.

Has anyone tested this?

4 Likes