The Case for Starting Rapamycin Earlier in Life (e.g. late 20s) vs middle age (e.g. 50s)

It’s not me with the chip, I am just responding to a person that is touting nonsense. I do root canals daily, observe x-rays over time of endodontically treated teeth and extract them for various reasons on a daily basis (which I always do with current xrays). I think I know pretty well what I am talking about unlike that other person from years of experience besides the license which required 11 years of university study. I could do an implantology course, extract teeth that need endodontic treatment and make much more money than I do now but I don’t because I don’t believe that’s right

3 Likes

I have had three root canals with no problems and I am probably one of the oldest, if not the oldest members of this forum. 81+ years. I have most of my teeth thanks to a good dentist that I have had for over 30 yrs. I just keep telling him “Don’t retire!” If sometime in the future he tells me I need a root canal, I will get it.
One of the side effects of living longer is you outlive your favorite doctors.
For the sake of your patients. keep taking rapamycin!

2 Likes

I have 2 root canals myself. I could easily and cheaply have them replaced with implants but I don’t because most root canals are successful and I believe that a successfully endodontically treated natural tooth is still better than a titanium screw in my jaw

Neither age, nor personal experience, nor the work history of one professional, are substitutes for proven science. Fortunately this site has a block function, by member handles.

You didn’t show any science but an article on the Weston Price site. Even if Price were right on many things (which I believe he was), he wasn’t on endodontic treatment because like scientific progress. You cannot compare a root canal performed in 1990 (let alone one performed in 1920) with a modern root canal

1 Like

Everyone - please, its fine to challenge the science, but go easy on the people. We like to avoid ad hominem attacks. If, after a reasonable amount of discussion you still disagree, just let it go.

We’re all trying to move the state of knowledge forward as best we can here. Lets keep to the science.

7 Likes

You often totally ignore science in favor of the “natural” approach which is not backed by science. Some people mellow with age, while others do not. Civility is a good thing,

4 Likes

Right behind you at 80 years old. Good Dentist and xrays twice year to keep check on status. Went 45 days ago and a excellent report.
Cannot be Rapa as only been taking 6 mg for 5 months.

3 Likes

Great job Captn!

A good dentist is hard to find. I had been going to a dentist for many years, and every time I had a cavity that he filled. Then I decided to try another dentist, and every time I went to her, I had a clean bill of health with no cavities. After a while, I went back to the first dentist and he said I had two cavities and a gold crown that needed to be replaced with a new ceramic one. I asked him to write down the numbers of the teeth that needed cavities repaired and the one with the gold crown.

Here’s where it gets interesting. I took those numbers to my new dentist, and she said there were no cavities and the crown did not need to be replaced. Then I went to my friend’s expensive dentist for a second opinion, and he agreed that there were no cavities and the crown was fine. The first dentist had been milking me for years on end fixing cavities that weren’t there!!! Several years on, and the cavities have never appeared and the crown is still great.

I have never been back to the original dentist, but I told my parents, and lo and behold, the same thing was happening with the dentist that they had been going to for years. I guess SOME dentists don’t want to exist on teeth cleanings alone. They need some phantom cavities to fix!!!

2 Likes

Of course there are rotten apples in my profession too but it is not as simple as you say. Some interventions are clear but there are a lot of greys too. I would give different advice for the same problem based on insurance. Eg when people have a small yearly budget but many restaurations it would make sense to start replacing them preventively before everything needs replacing at the same time but for others with a large budget you can wait until it is really necessary.

3 Likes

True, there are good and bad apples in every profession. I think my story was just a warning not to be too trusting of anyone. It’s always good to get a second or third opinion especially if there is a lot of money or your health on the line. Sorry to all the great dentists out there like the second and third ones I visited!

I guess the same could apply to certain longevity experts as well…

2 Likes

My point was that your old dentist might not be a fraud but knows you and your parents and plans ahead unlike the other 2 dentists who might upon acquiring the reason for your visit might change their plan story (I always ask the reason why people came to me and of course if they say that another dentist saw x caries I will tell them I see x-y and y teeth we need to monitor) but I really can’t tell without at least seeing x-rays.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Rapamycin increases Alzheimer’s-associated plaques in mice, study finds

“Unhealthy lifestyles during adolescence when cells are rapidly dividing may have lasting harmful effects,” says lead author Anna Kankaanpää, a doctoral researcher at the Gerontology Research Center and Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences at the University of Jyväskylä, Finland.

Overall, the clocks suggested that individuals in the two groups classified as having unhealthy behaviors were, on average, 1.7 to 3.3 years older than individuals who reported more healthy lifestyles during their adolescence. This is equivalent to aging about 2 to 3 weeks faster each calendar year.

Open Access Paper:

3 Likes

I will add Dr. Blagosklonny continually seems to lean towards “post-growth” rapamycin from low-dose to high-dose (12 mg is roughly what he considers to be a high dose) with increasing age as the preferable option from his view.

He suggests 21-25 to be the age (as a very rough example) and emphasizes the importance of initiation in early life.

However, I will note the brain does not stop growing at age 21.

He even briefly talks about the brain here but I wonder if he understands it well.

“Rapamycin treatment during development severely inhibits growth and decreases the size of organs, including the brain”

Note rapamycin can reduce synaptic transmission and neural stem cell proliferation. Different regions develop at different rates and there is no age limit to neuroplasticity. There is overwhelming evidence of neurogenesis throughout life as well. So you have to do some complex trade-off calculation here that is not often done. We do know neuropsychiatric conditions happen with kidney transplant rapamycin users.

2 Likes

Hi, when you say 6mg intermittently… Are you roughly talking weekly or longer?

That’s an old post. I now take 8 mg weekly, but my T continues to decline.

3 Likes