The Case for Starting Rapamycin Earlier in Life (e.g. late 20s) vs middle age (e.g. 50s)

Thanks for the care but it seems like basic aging. I work out so you’re going to get injuries every once in a while. Gums are genetic, grandparents were both missing teeth from falling out. I’m getting care and doing fine but gums are slowly receding. Can’t recall what else I mentioned, oh visceral fat. It’s been little by little for about 30 years, and the belly measure is still at or less than 1/2 of height. Basically I feel like I’m doing fine, just have a body that is starting to wear down. I’m looking forward to seeing what rapa will do as an intervention.

1 Like

Can you share your dosage, dosage history, and dosage philosophy? I’d be curious to hear it.

As I look at the pros—the doctors taking rapa—I see two trends: 20mg every two weeks and 6-8mg every week. People who once took a rapa vacation seem to have stopped that practice and begun the weekly dose.

How do you think about their dosing practice in comparison to yours?

1 Like

Dental problems are Never just genetic, they always require 2 other factors besides genes: bacteria and environment (that’s you, so your hygiene and dietary habits)

Reading your post though I am willing to bet your recession is caused by brushing trauma, not periodontitis…

2 Likes

Again, thanks for the input. My dentist suggests it has to do with clenching (I do believe a tendency to clench may be genetic). He says brushing trauma is a bit of a red herring when it comes to recession. As he explains it, the pressure of nighttime clenching radiates into the gums and over time causes them to recede. I do clench, now use a bite plate, and have experienced some alleviation of the symptoms. I have used an Oral-B electric toothbrush for over a decade without much pressure. But I do hear that rapa can profoundly affect gum health so I’m curious how it may or may not affect my gums in particular.

1 Like

What you describe is called abfraction not recession… But gone is gone, rapamycin won’t cure recession,
abfraction, caries nor periodontitis fortunately

Saw this yesterday on another forum:

And some other comments on the same theme:

1 Like

Easy to do that, take any antibiotic and pockets will reduce but that doesn’t mean that attachment loss is undone. We only measure pocket depth because it tells us if there are inflected places which need treatment

2 Likes

So far I have taken 2mg of Rapa once (in September). My next dose will be 2mg (to compare the consequences), but I have a lot of other things to try first. I don’t think i will ever take it more than once every 4 weeks although I may take more than 2mg.

1 Like

Interesting… so I thought that pocket depth was a reasonable proxy for the oral anti-aging effects of rapamycin - but you’re saying that is not the case.

So this study: Rapamycin rejuvenates oral health in aging mice | eLife

The FDA-approved drug rapamycin slows aging and extends lifespan in multiple organisms, including mice. Here, we demonstrate that short-term treatment with rapamycin rejuvenates the aged oral cavity of elderly mice, including regeneration of periodontal bone, attenuation of gingival and periodontal bone inflammation, and revertive shift of the oral microbiome toward a more youthful composition.

In the study, it mentions:

Periodontal disease is clinically defined by inflammation of the periodontium, the specialized tissue surrounding and supporting the tooth structure, resulting in clinical attachment loss, alveolar (periodontal) bone loss and periodontal pocketing, and pathogenic changes in the oral microbiome

so what you are saying is that many things might reduce periodontal pocketing - and by itself its not a good measure of periodontal disease?

But - given the history of rapamycin reducing many different measures of periodontal disease and this was only one measure, it might still be a reasonable and easily accessible proxy for Rapamycin’s effect - don’t you think?

Are there other measures that people can easily do (with the help of their dentists) to clarify whether its working or not?

3 Likes

Before and after x-rays

Unattached ginginva above bone is the golden standard measure but like a gangrenous leg a surgeon amputates and calls the patient healed we reduce pocket by reducing the gingiva not be growing new bone and attachment

I can imagine a little bit of attachment could regrow, like a few cells in depth but mice are tiny compared to humans

1 Like

that’s just nonsense, a properly treated tooth with a proper restauration does not spread infection!

1 Like

Dentist and MD actually…

The fact that a small number of endotically treated fail doesn’t negate the vast majority doesn’t even after 5 or 10 years

1 Like

I’ve never blocked anyone in my life. I believe in my arguments.

I’m also quite handy around the house btw

4 Likes

It’s not me with the chip, I am just responding to a person that is touting nonsense. I do root canals daily, observe x-rays over time of endodontically treated teeth and extract them for various reasons on a daily basis (which I always do with current xrays). I think I know pretty well what I am talking about unlike that other person from years of experience besides the license which required 11 years of university study. I could do an implantology course, extract teeth that need endodontic treatment and make much more money than I do now but I don’t because I don’t believe that’s right

4 Likes

I have had three root canals with no problems and I am probably one of the oldest, if not the oldest members of this forum. 81+ years. I have most of my teeth thanks to a good dentist that I have had for over 30 yrs. I just keep telling him “Don’t retire!” If sometime in the future he tells me I need a root canal, I will get it.
One of the side effects of living longer is you outlive your favorite doctors.
For the sake of your patients. keep taking rapamycin!

3 Likes

I have 2 root canals myself. I could easily and cheaply have them replaced with implants but I don’t because most root canals are successful and I believe that a successfully endodontically treated natural tooth is still better than a titanium screw in my jaw

You didn’t show any science but an article on the Weston Price site. Even if Price were right on many things (which I believe he was), he wasn’t on endodontic treatment because like scientific progress. You cannot compare a root canal performed in 1990 (let alone one performed in 1920) with a modern root canal

1 Like

Everyone - please, its fine to challenge the science, but go easy on the people. We like to avoid ad hominem attacks. If, after a reasonable amount of discussion you still disagree, just let it go.

We’re all trying to move the state of knowledge forward as best we can here. Lets keep to the science.

9 Likes

You often totally ignore science in favor of the “natural” approach which is not backed by science. Some people mellow with age, while others do not. Civility is a good thing,

4 Likes

Right behind you at 80 years old. Good Dentist and xrays twice year to keep check on status. Went 45 days ago and a excellent report.
Cannot be Rapa as only been taking 6 mg for 5 months.

3 Likes