The Case for Starting Rapamycin Earlier in Life (e.g. late 20s) vs middle age (e.g. 50s)

Just following up to see if your testosterone levels have been affected while taking rapamycin. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

1 Like

My testosterone levels remain 800ng/dL before and after rapamycin.
But it did somewhat effect my libido,my latest rapamycin dose is 30mg/month, I felt decreased libido in the first week (maybe it’s just the mood fluctuation) ,however my libido became normal at the second week

4 Likes

Are you taking 17-alpha estradiol btw?

Can you pin this thread?

1 Like

Do we know what dr Blagosklonny meant by “actually too late for many”

jakexb, ask him.

https://twitter.com/blagosklonny?lang=en

Mikhail V. Blagosklonny, email: [mikhail.blagosklonny@roswellpark.org]

(mailto:mikhail.blagosklonny@roswellpark.org)

email: blagosklonny@rapalogs.com

Mikhail V. Blagosklonny; email: blagosklonny@oncotarget.com

2 Likes

It’s obvious no adult (probably most newborns can’t wait even) alive today can afford to wait for human trials to finish, we’ll all be dead by then

@jakexb

1 Like

Oh I see, I took it as saying it’s too late for some to take rapamycin even. That makes sense thank you.

In my opinion, rapamycin treatment (for anti-aging purposes) may only be started when a young adult can make informed decisions and should not be allowed before the age of 21. Doctors should consider that rapamycin may negatively affect reproduction, albeit reversibly. I believe that the initial dose should be very low and gradually increase with older age, when full individual doses are achieved. An anti-aging dose/schedule is a maximum dose that do not yet cause side effects in a particular person [48]. Self-treatment is unacceptable and doses are highly individual [48,49].

3 Likes

Nice compilation. The 63 y/o that started having her cycles again needs to be evaluated! It could be that Rapa has turned back the clock and her ovaries have started working again, but higher odds she has some other cause some of which could be a sign of cancer. I would have a hard time taking Rapa in my 20’s and possibly even in my 30’s. By 40, it would be an easier sell.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Great post thank you!

IMO: People in this forum who are starting young will have a great chance of reaching what some say is the theoretical lifespan of 150 years.
Of course, technology and science are advancing so rapidly you may have a chance to be immortal.

4 Likes

christ you’re all too conservative. Age 14/15 is the best age to start. Fluid intelligence peaks at ~16. There isn’t THAT much neural development between 16 and 25, and most of it by then is pruning.

I became veg*n at 12, started obsessing with CR at 15/16, joined longecity.org at 16, and then restricted enough to cause low WBC by 16.

It’s like how epigenetic reprogramming works BETTER the earlier you start in life (recent paper morgan levine even liked). Semi-early calorie restriction has the highest chances of epigenetically priming the body towards being more pro-repair/anti-growth later in life.

Rapamycin treatment during development extends life span and health span of male mice and Daphnia magna

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abo5482

3 Likes

How old are you now? Are you a doctor or researcher? Just curious as you seem to know what you’re talking about.

I only wish I knew about Rapamycin at age 16. They didn’t have the internet back then!

I’m 24 here and strongly considering getting on it now or in a few months vs when I’m 27-30. Should just be a matter of having to do consistent tests to be safe.

2 Likes

Many of us get this blood test every 3 to 6 months to track our blood metrics:

If you also get the CRP test, you can then easily calculate your Levine phenotypic age (I’d recommend doing a pre-test before you start anything, then 6 months after). Total cost is $35 for the CBC and $42 for the CRP.

4 Likes

I’m glad to hear this as I’m 47. I have issues where some injuries are taking longer to heal, inflammation in my shoulder, sometimes elbow, sometimes hip can take 6 months to go away if I tweak it. Teeth have minor gum recession. Visceral fat at my belly around the belly button is exactly 1/2 my height, which I hear is the max it should be. In photos I see a lot belly and remember being young when I was thin as a rail. I’m planning to start with Zydus rapa at 2mg/ week, then 3, 4, up to 6. Going to share with my wife and dogs. Probably not tell my parents, as I’m concerned about giving potentially bad health advice. Glad to hear mid-40s is a good time!

2 Likes

Personally it may be the case that I go a bit over the top in measuring things. To the extent that I have weekly blood tests. The reason I have weekly blood tests is that I am doing quite a few odd things to my metabolism (including intermittent Rapamycin) and I wish to see if anything is going wrong quickly.

However, in terms of improving my metabolism I have generally regretted not measuring enough rather than measuring too much.

I would, however, recommend as basic general blood test covering the major organs. There are quite a few of these available in different countries. You should try C Reactive Protein as well (which does not always come as standard).

Personally I think Rapamycin is something to take infrequently rather than frequently. It has a longish half life and at times you don’t want mTOR to be inhibited, but I am a minority in this views.

5 Likes