Tacrolimus or Sirolimus ointment?

I recently saw a dermatologist for some flakiness and dryness around my eyes (and also some other spots that could be syringomas). He prescribed tacrolimus ointment 0.1%. I used this around my eyes and it cleared it up very quickly! He also said I could use it on my face in general. The price wasn’t bad ($30 for a tube)

Has anyone else had experience with tacrolimus on the skin? Does it have the same anti-aging benefits as sirulimus? Would it help keep beard hair from turning gray? When I go for my follow up, should I make a request to instead get Sirolimus ointment? Or is this an uncommon ointment to get from a doctor?

1 Like

you will not a get a topical Sirolimus RX unless you have tuberous sclerosis,
just stick to tacrolimus, it’s great RX
best solution for you gray beard… shave it

1 Like

Did the tacrolimus seem to help your “possible syringomas”? Or just the mild rash on the skin around your eyes?

Actually, its easy to get sirolimus cream for skin:

or DIY:

1 Like

Tacrolimus is quite different than rapamycin / sirolimus (despite the similarity of the names). Tacrolimus is not a targeted Mtorc1 inhibitor like rapamycin. Though Tacrolimus is (orally) an immune suppressant. I’ve seen no research that would suggest that Tacrolimus has any of the anti-aging skin benefits that sirolimus has shown (in a few studies).

If you search on our forums, you’ll see people have used it as part of the hair grey reversal formula (see this thread: Reverse Gray Hair, Hair Repigmentation )
but people have discussed it here also for skin: Skin, Adversity Mimetics & Rapamycin, Tacrolimus, Cyclosporin, etc - #5 by RapAdmin

Others people are suggesting sirolimus plus Retin-A / Tretinoin are a good combo for reducing / slowing skin aging: Davin Lim on topical sirolimus -- better than tretinoin?

3 Likes

Not from a regular doctor and covered by insurance.

Hey, that’s moving the goal posts!:laughing:

If you actually read the original post and understand the context…

When I go for my follow up, should I make a request to instead get Sirolimus ointment? Or is this an uncommon ointment to get from a doctor?

it will make sense.

1. His dermatologist will not prescribe it, probably not even aware that it exists.
  2. The generic tacrolimus is relatively inexpensive and covered by majority of insurance plans.
1 Like

Yeah, context matters. Either way, I definitely wouldn’t try Hyftor (Rx sirolimus/rapamycin gel) for anti-aging purposes because the concentration of rapamycin is orders of magnitude higher than what’s been used in the clinical study of topical rapa/aging (0.2% for Hyftor, 0.001% in the Drexel anti-aging study).

1 Like

This dermatologists uses and recommends 0.1% to 0.2% for anti-aging. The Drexel study was only one study. There have been many studies with rapamycin skin cream ranging from 0.001% to 0.2% with no significant negative side effects ( as I recall): Davin Lim on topical sirolimus -- better for aging skin than tretinoin?

I also think thats the range that Healthspan uses in its topical sirolimus skin cream (which I’ve used for the past 6 months or so with no issues, and apparent benefits): Buy Topical Rapamycin Cream: Doctor's Prescription | Healthspan

1 Like

Have there been other studies with topical rapa showing anti-aging skin benefits? Since the Drexel study showed benefits specifically for aging skin, I don’t know if jumping up to 200x the concentration is a good idea just because there aren’t any apparent short-term side effects. Hopefully it’s a good thing and clearly people are doing it, but it would be nice to get some data. It might explain why I didn’t really see any changes with the 0.001% creams I’ve made in the past.

3 Likes

Jeremy, Some months ago I used it on my face and neck for about 2 to 3 months in a row applied once daily to see if it would give me any benefit. I did this after my morning workout shower, not at night. I used it sparingly and rubbed it in thoroughly, but it still left my face looking somewhat greasy and it left my shirt collars greasy. Both of these things were irritating, so I stopped. I didn’t notice any improvement in wrinkles or skin tone during this trial, but maybe it requires 6 months of more.

Oh, there seems to be a “black box” warning for Tacrolimus Ointment, not that it is currently valid, but I have kept it in mind because it mentioned possible cancers.

1 Like

I have used topical sirolimus 0.2 % and tretinoin 0.1% mixed in Cerave base 1:20 or so dilution over the face and body for the past few monhts. Visually getting good results but with occasional acne cropping up which is in line with imunosuppressive effects of the rapamycin. Benzoyl peroxide 10% always on stand by.

3 Likes

The Tacrolimus helped with the flaky dandruff around my eyes. Unfortunately the syringomas are still there. But the dermatologist said the best way to get rid of them is to remove them. I have a follow up this Monday, so I hope to find out for sure.

When you say the Tacrolimus is a great RX, do you mean for dry skin, eczema , etc. or for anti-aging purposes?

My experience with it is eczema, but it may work for other inflammatory skin disorders…including aging.

1 Like