Starting rapamycin next month - 27 years old

Before I read this, I was also thinking along those same lines.

Regardless of age. I tend to think if you are dosing 3mg or less you should probably dose weekly. Otherwise, it’s probably not doing much. But that’s just my thoughts.

Many of us are constantly revising our own dosing strategy. There just isn’t enough human data. Mostly anecdotal. As far as frequency, it seems like most are torn between once a week and every two weeks. I’m currently tapering up my dose weekly but (as of today) intend to do an every 10 day schedule. And, to try to make it more simple to stay on schedule, I’ll take a dose on the 10th and 20th of each month. And (depending on the length of the month) on the last day or 1st day month. That means some doses might be 9 days or 11 days apart but that’s ok.

4 Likes

You are right about zero data for now. My reasoning is that if young ppl plan to take Rapa for life, it has to be a small dose from time to time. Rapa does suppress immune system and the bigger the dose the more suppression. Just logically, immune system shouldn’t be suppressed all life beginning from your 20s. Occasional small dose is like prophylactics. Cannot wait to see some research data on that.

3 Likes

But mice are short lived. It doesn’t translate well to our much longer lives.

Thanks. If you take a dose as small as 0.5 mg/w, then I wonder about the level of mTOR inhibition you get and whether you might actually get the same level with 25m of empagliflozin per day or a weekly GLP1RA injection (exenatide, semaglutide, etc.). It might be safer as well (at least we have more data). And it’s easier to get a prescription for that, too.

But assuming you take 0.5 mg/w in your 20s, then what would be the dose escalation schedule as you age?

I am getting a bit more skeptical of Rapamycin over time. I want to hear about it improving some biomarker, like apoB or cholesterol… blood pressure, or whatever. Mostly mice studies.

Taking rapamycin 6 months improved every biomarker on Levine and AI3.0 scale for myself. I avoided every infection I was exposed to in this period. It messed my lipids a bit for a while, same with glucose control, both improved beyond baseline. My BP remained stable. I did once weekly dosing of 5-6 mg and currently testing 1mg/daily for two weeks and one week off (don’t have any measurable evidence it is better or same, just observationally seems better for my autoimmune problems).

3 Likes

I will try it again after I have other things, hopefully in control and at a nice level, lipids as well.

Yes, I believe it is important to take rapamycin not as a cure but as prevention. Iit is best to have metabolic health in check before taking rapamycin. And starting early enough to avoid age related diseases. I don’t think it can reverse them, just delay.

5 Likes

May be you would not need escalation at all if you start early with a preventative dose that would keep you on the same young level for life.

4 Likes

Just an update still on Rapamycin. 5 mg weekly.

Interested thing happened; everyone in my house hold (3 people) came down with a fever, runny nose and dry cough. I was the only one who didn’t get sick. I took 5mg Rapamycin 3 days before they started showed symptoms. I have been in the house for the last 2 days with them. They are still sick 5 days later and I’m still fine.no symptoms at all. Rapamycin definitely didn’t suppress my immune system otherwise I would have gotten sick? Is there any studies showing Rapamycin can boost your immune system against flu/cold in small intermittent doses?

3 Likes

I think 0.5 mg per week is sub-optimal for two reasons:

1. Most Rapa is sold in 1 mg doses. Breaking the enteric coating reduces the absorption dramatically.
  2. 0.5 mg seems to be too low. 1 mg IMHO is the minimum, but I didn’t notice anything until I hit 3 mg.

To me, 3 mg weekly seems like the lowest effective dose. I’m currently doing 9 mg (3 mg + GFJ)

2 Likes

Happens to me all the time. Rapamycin is great for viral immunity seems. There are some studies, on this. I was exposed to many viruses in the last months where other were sick, even when virus vas quite virulent and did not get sick. I also had close brush twice with Covid, when I was talking to people infected with symptoms for hour or so in my office, really close contact and did not get it.

But I hear bacterial infection is another story. I have an anecdotal experience. Just recently I was traveling and had a food poisoning, I had some oysters and tuna sashimi, just few hours later I was feeling sick with high fever, took antibiotic and was all right the next morning. People I was with that ate the same were not sick immediately but it took them few days to develop same symptoms. At the end they all had to take antibiotic. So in a way I presented much quicker reaction, much more serious that made me take antibiotic fast and solve it.

2 Likes