Starting rapamycin next month - 27 years old

Less fried food and takeaway. Eat salmon almost daily now with a high quality fish oil supplement daily. Biggest thing I’ve done is just eat less calories in general and 1 or 2 meals a day, from march to June I’ve never eaten 3 meals in a day. I usually always fast at least 16 to 20 hours a day. Also removed refined sugars out such as candy/sweets. I believe the fasting and eating less calories has helped me the most.

Doctor didn’t order that test not to sure why but I’ll try ordering that test online privately

I agree. I hope others who are having cholesterol issues on Rapamycin try life style changes and lose weight if needed before going on statins or blaming Rapamycin as it worked for me. Not saying this is the case for everyone but it’s worth a try

4 Likes

Sorry didn’t see your second part

Yes I’ll continue calorie deficit. I believe it helps with longevity just as well as Rapamycin. I still eat enough to function as I stand 8 hours a day at work and got no problem. My body adjusted to low calories quiet well. I usually eat under 1200 a day. Weight loss has slowed down so my bmr (metabolism) probably caught up. Yesterday I ate 1000 calories and have no problem. I try and keep it high protein to maintain muscle mass.

I’ve basically been in a calorie deficit for 3 months and it improved all my blood result markers including liver enzymes that were slightly elevated before I started calorie deficit.

It’s important to eat enough to function though, and take supplements as it can be difficult to get all the vitamins etc on a calorie deficit. The key is to cut calories but don’t cut to the point you’re starving.

4 Likes

That seems really low. Last year I decided to “recomp” my body and went from 25% BF to 15% BF in 6 months with around 25% caloric deficit. Now I restrict calories, my body adjusted and I am not loosing any weight, but I eat around 15% less calories than my calculated expenditure. I also think this is one of the best ways to improve your health and longevity. While on rapamycin I lost additional 4-5% BF, which is really great. I will do a complete blood check in September while 6 months on rapa. I just checked blood lipids last week and my results are slighty higher than prior, but similar to yours. But I believe they will drop to before rapa or even lower within months. Hope I am right.

3 Likes

Yes it’s very low. I do have a low bmr so I can eat quiet low calorie while not losing weight. Same here. I lost 15kg in 4 months and now I’m 64kg and it’s pretty stable. I think your body reaches a set point when you calorie deficit for a long time. Kind of adjusts. I gotta cut back to under 1000 now to lose weight or it’s very very slow.

I need to get a dexa scan, it’s been a while. No idea what my body fat is right now

3 Likes

Slow is not allways bad, since you tend not to loose that much muscles. I plateaued with my fat loss before rapa, on rapa things magically moved down (read loosing BF, but not weight, which is perfect). But I also have low T and elevated prolactin which probably doesn’t help in this regard. Hoping rapa will do something about that too.

2 Likes

What’s your t levels? Do you mean testosterone

1 Like

Yes, testosterone. Before rapa it was 8,27 nmol/L (238 ng/dL), later improved to 11,94 nmol/L (344 ng/dL), but still very low.

1 Like

I find my testosterone measurements move around a lot in my weekly blood tests. I do use different labs which will be part of it.

Here are some recent results (in nmol/L)

22.26 20.81 19.9 11.8 20.6 22.09 21.14 17.67 16.4 21.89 16.3 18.3 18 17.89 19.23 14.3 22 16.9

1 Like

Quick update:

still on rapamycin, i take around 4 mg now. I did take a 1 month break a few weeks ago due to getting my tooth extracted (had a huge hole) didnt want rapa potentially slowing the healing process.

I now additionally take finasteride (1mg) daily to prevent hair loss and other benefits. no side effects as of yet.

Still take 50mg of acarbose with high carb meals.

I am now focusing on my diet and exercise (muscle gain). Will see how it goes and my muscle progress will go being on these medications at a young age.

5 Likes

Just a quick update:

I decided to stop rapamycin for 1 month so I could just focus on growth while at the gym , I was skinny fat, low muscle mass and high body fat due to bad dieting in the past, low protein and 0 resistant training, the reason I stopped rapamycin while hitting the gym was to to keep my mTOR activated for ultimate growth spurt).

I gained noticeable amounts of muscle mass at the gym this is not to due to stopping rapamycin but hitting the gym hard, being 28 and increasing my protein to 150g a day compared to 50g a day I was taking before, i just didnt want rapamycin lowering mTOR during this phrase. I’m sure if i continue taking rapamycin weekly I still would of gained some noticeable results. I just stopped because I’m young so I can afford not taking rapamycin for a while haha.

I am now back on rapamycin as I obviously dont want my mtor activated 24.7 long term and I’m sure my mTOR is crazy high right now as ive been eating very high protein and weight training non stop for the last month which is great for muscle but not so much aging…? Hopefully the 12mg rapamycin I just took as I write this post will lower the mTOR activity…

I changed my dose to 12mg bi weekly rather then weekly just so I can keep my mTOR activated for longer periods of time while I continue to work at the gym however I’ll take a bigger dose as biweekly compared to what I was taking weekly.

I will continue to monitor my gains in gym and performance etc.

Any one else gain muscle mass pretty easy while on rapamycin? are you taking it weekly / bi weekly?

3 Likes

I take Rapamycin no more frequently than every 3 weeks. I have not noticed a problem building muscle mass, but I don’t do that much resistance training (that is the main formal exercise I do). I walk around a lot, but mainly because I need to get somewhere. (I am 63)

I can understand the argument that people under 30 may be able to benefit from Rapamycin, but I would have thought the frequency requirement is much lower and once every 2 months or so might be sensible rather than stopping and starting a relatively high frequency.

1 Like

So if you under 30 you would take rapamycin every 2 months rather than weekly/biweekly? what dose would you take?

1 Like

I don’t have any basis for suggesting any precise dose. I personally take 6mg mainly because that is the number of pills in a packet. I think the 1-8mg range is within the bounds of reasonableness, whether it should be less for younger people or not I don’t know. There is an argument for older people to take the maximum dose without bad side effects. On a hit and run basis that may be sensible, but I don’t really know. Every 2 months is more “hit and run” rather than a regular dosage.

3 Likes

I decided to build some muscle, but I am 48, low testosterone really. I was on CR for years before two months ago. i thought that with really low BF and lowish weight I might put few kg of muscle mass. I decided to add 20% caloric surplus and I eat around 110g of protein daily. I kept my rapamycin regimen at 6mg/week. At the beginning nothing was moving, but suddenly I see some meaningful increase in muscle mass that is visible and my weight has moved too. I gained 2kg in 8 weeks, almost zero fat, most is muscle mass. Would it be easier without rapamycin? I don’t know, but the studies I read and some anecdotal accounts does not show that you can’t produce new muscle mass while on rapamycin.

Btw if I were your age I wouldn’t go for such a high dose of rapamycin biweekly, but would take a much lower dose weekly or even more frequently. But that is just my opinion. Rather than almost stopping just slowing down slightly mTOR.

3 Likes

If I were that age I would take 0.5mg every 10-12 days for 3-4 months with a 3 mo break.

4 Likes

I don’t think taking 12 mg once every two weeks or 5 or 6 mg once a week is going to make any difference in muscle gains.

The evidence suggest that higher dosages are better even for young people, but 5 or 6 mg once a week can be safe. At least based on mice data, or am I wrong?

3 Likes

Can you explain more?

Mice starting rapamycin earlier (younger) and higher dosages have greater benefits. In the real world we have to be careful about suppressing our immune system though.

4 Likes

What’s your reasoning? Can 0.5mg be effective? Also, do we know how much young users typically take? (the average age ± standard deviation in the Kaeberlein survey was 61.1yo ± 11.6 Evaluation of off-label rapamycin use to promote healthspan in 333 adults | GeroScience )

(I was hoping to find some simple rule of thumb like 1mg per week per decade of age, so 3 mg/week if you’re 35yo, 6mg/w if you’re 62yo, 8mg/w if you’re 89yo, etc. But of course, I guess we have zero data on this :sweat_smile: .)

1 Like

Higher dose is better in the mice studies. Only reason to avoid high doses is based on infection risk, recovery, growth (young ppl), worse biomarkers (like apoB), imo.

1 Like