Starting rapamycin next month - 27 years old

My phenotypic age according to my blood work .

3 Likes

Thanks for this. For any comments that may be of use to anyone it is useful to see the actual biomarkers.

3 Likes

I would certainly be interested in actual biomarkers used in this analysis.

1 Like

I don’t trust any biological age calculator which knows your chronological age in any way. It must be completely anonymous.

The tests reminds me of the faith healing scammers, who “magically” knows the afflictions the audience members have. It’s fed in an earpiece to the preacher from a form they filled in earlier.

The tests know one’s chronological age, so they can show a biological age of 40 for a 50 year old, or 20 for a 30 year old etc. Or even better, show a worse biological age for repeated testing. Who knows?

3 Likes

Although I agree with you particularly about the epigenetic age tests, I think it is unfair criticising the levine test in this way. The levine test identifies certain markers in a relatively rigorous manner using primary component analysis.

It does not, however, manage to pick up all the aspects of biological age so it relies on some chronological data to get a reasonable correlation with mortality.

My own personal view is that biological age/mortality is mainly the failure to express long genes which has two primary causes, a mitochondrial inefficiency and the burden of senescent cells, both of which affect the avialability of nuclear Acetyl-CoA. Now measuring these is difficult although CRP has an association with senescence burden.

I think if you measured those you would get a mortality risk without using chronological age.

Things like DNA damage also matter, but I think that is a lot rarer as an issue. It may happen quite a bit, but may not have that much effect on mortality.

1 Like

I don’t trust the companies providing the test, they might have a “propietary” algorithm, with chronological age as input. If it would be possible to do the biological age calculations oneself as it seems impossible to do an anonymous test, that can be legit.

2 Likes

The Epigenetic tests involve getting DNA methylation data. With that data (which AFAIK some of them provide I have not checked which as I don’t think it is that significant) you can slot it into various algorithms.

There are quite a few PCA type algorithms. Klemera Doubal is an interesting approach, but they all are measuring consequences rather than causes.

Is a website where I am trying to get a good way of looking at biomarkers. It doesn’t work properly yet, but over time it will get resolved.

2 Likes

I don’t trust the tests because they’ve pointed me out as being 28 yo (aging.ai), 32 yo (Levine), and 56 yo (epigenetic spit). With accuracy like that… :stuck_out_tongue:

However, I hope the first two are right. :wink:

The 56 yo one was originally 62 yo. I had them redo it after I started taking Rapamycin, so Rapa reduced my age 7 years (I aged a year after the first test).

4 Likes

Ask someone who is 80 yrs old to order the test for you, but then you take the test.
You’ll probably be welcomed with a screen that you’re 70 yrs old biologically “10 years younger than your chronological age!”

4 Likes

I think it is worth getting into the meaning of the biomarkers. Other functional tests such as sit to stand are also useful.

3 Likes

So aging.ai, levine are all pretty inaccurate? does anyone know the most accurate test to test aging? thanks

1 Like

Could you share which test did you take? And which biomarkers were tested?

1 Like

I fully agree with you on that. When I tried the test for the first time, I input all correct markers but reduced my chronological age. It showed that I was 36 years old (much younger than my real age). Then I repeated the test and input my true chronological age (67), which immediately changed the result from 36 to 53 years old, which is still younger than 68. Such tests should be completely blind. Why do they even ask about chronological age?

3 Likes

I really want to do a test that can measure my dna, telomeres etc… not sure if there is such a thing though. and I got a feeling it would be expensive

1 Like

I totally agree. That is why I like http://aging.ai/ they give you you estimated age before knowing your chronological age. Seems fairer, but maybe it is just my personal view as my age was estimated at 21 and I am 48. Of course on the other hand algorithms should compare you to people in you age range too, it makes sense, how much better I am doing that someone my age… it get’s complex I guess, but seeing that you are doing better than predicted for your age is in a way satisfying on it’s own. Of course we would all like to stop aging or even reverse it, extend our time, but at the end we will all come to the finishing line.

4 Likes

32 Y/O here, aging.ai gave me 25 Y/O without entering my chronological age.

Prefer it to any other age calculator.

2 Likes

How goes the rapa journey?

1 Like

Good.! Have been taking 4-6mg weekly consistently for the last few weeks. No side effects. Haven’t had time to get blood tests plan to get that done in 2 weeks.

3 Likes

Just did some blood tests yesterday.

My cholesterol was high in march. I thought it was the Rapamycin maybe, however after changing my diet and exercising, losing weight. I was able to drop my total cholesterol from 6.1 (235.9 mg/d) to 3.9 (150.8 mg/d) while taking Rapamycin weekly! Best my cholesterol has been since starting Rapamycin. Rapamycin + healthy lifestyle gave me the best results.

Very happy as I now know it’s not the Rapamycin and it shows that the potential side effect of Rapamycin causing high cholesterol can be controlled without medication.

I also have done one or two meals a day, lots of intermittent fasting since march. I believe that has helped a lot as well and I have kept my calories on the low side.

Everything on blood test within normal range apart from phosphate which is a little low 0.77 mmol. Normal is 0.80 so nothing major. Not sure what causes slightly low phosphate. According to Google weight loss and anorexia can cause it, I did lose lots of weight within a short period time so maybe that is why. I’m still a normal bmi.

5 Likes

Great! You did not measure your apoB?
Btw what did you change in regards to diet?
And I agree that it should be controlled first with diet and lifestyle, both mayor factors. I assume you eat in caloric deficit ATM. Will you continue to do some sort of caloric restriction perpetually?

1 Like