So, what's the deal with collagen?

Davin8r, So, there’s tretinoin cream 0.1%, and there is tretinoin cream 0.025% which probably works just as well as the 0.1% version. I assume it’s prescription only?

And, there’s adapalene gel 0.1% which probably works just as well as tretinoin 0.1%, but it does not have a 0.025% strength? I assume this is OTC?

And, there is rapamycin cream (prescription and home-made). Do you think adapalene is just as good as rapamycin cream? Or, do you think rapamycin cream is better in some ways?

Thanks

Hi Jay, there are no comparison studies between rapamycin cream and retinoids like tretinoin/adapalene for skin aging, and the mechanisms of action are different, so it’s comparing apples to oranges. Retinoids have a long history and plenty of published research showing a degree of anti-aging efficacy (tretinoin much moreso than adapalene), while rapamycin cream research is in its infancy. Yes, tretinoin is Rx-only. I like adapalene because it’s relatively cheap, more photostable, is unscented and comes as a gel that essentially disappears after I rub it in.

2 Likes

Davin8r, While we’re on the topic of skin care, do you have any thoughts about fraxel laser treatment for either face, neck or arms? Sure, it is much more expensive. But, are results good and long-lasting? I mention this because years ago I used RoC retinol or retinoid face serum on my face and backs of hands for a few months. I don’t know if it did any good or not, but some months after I stopped I noticed more and larger brownish spots on my face and backs of hands. I may be wrong, but I associate these brownish spots with the use of the retinoid face cream, which makes me cautious about trying a retinoid cream again.

Yes, I really like the results of Fraxel. Granted it’s free for me and this makes the decision easier, but it still hurts despite the topical anesthetic and the results are well worth the pain IMO. Also, the recovery has always been much quicker and easier than I anticipate. I’m about to schedule a new treatment as a matter of fact, since it’s been almost a year.

1 Like

That’s odd, I thought both of their actions were mediated by mTOR, and that this was well known.

Interesting! Still, tretinoin is not a specific inhibitor of mTOR, even if (in some cell lines at least) mTOR inhibition is achieved to some degree. Other pathways/molecules are affected by retinoids, so I’d be even more surprised if their effects can be simplified as all coming from mTOR. That makes the prospect of combining a topical retinoid w/topical rapamycin even more complicated.

Hi. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Would you apply to face and body daily? Or just spot apply to blemishes?

Thanks

For retinoids? I apply a small amount (adapalene gel) to my entire face most days of the week. I haven’t used it on other areas because I’d burn through a tube too fast, although I’m considering applying it to the back of my hands before bedtime.

Thanks. I was asking about your use of:

Differin

If that is a retinol, then I guess you answered my question :rofl:

Yes, Differin is branded adapalene, a retinoid (OTC in the USA)

Great. Thank you for replying.

"
Adapalene 0.3% gel showed non-inferior efficacy to tretinoin 0.05% cream as treatment for photoaged skin, with a similar safety profile. Adapalene 0.3% gel may therefore be considered a safe and effective option for the treatment of mild or moderate photoaging."
Comparable efficacy of adapalene 0.3% gel and tretinoin 0.05% cream as treatment for cutaneous photoaging | SpringerLink

2 Likes

Adapalene 0.3% is still Rx-only, but since it works as well as 0.05% tretinoin and 0.025% tretinoin works as well as the 0.05% for aging skin, then I assume the 0.1% adapalene also works well.

Not sure if this is a global sale or not, but iHerb has a 26% off collagen, glucosamine and other hair, skin and nails supplements.

https://hk.iherb.com/cl/bone-skin-hair-nails

I bought 2 tubs of SR collagen peptides to get free shipping as well. Deal ends soon.

1 Like

tongMD, I talked to my physician about the HPV vaccine and said that I realize it’s not approved by the CDC for anyone over the age of 45. I explained that there is extremely little chance that I have the virus and that I may be getting married. So, I didn’t want to take the chance of getting the virus after marriage. She simply said that “It is not medically approved.” She shut down the conversation at that point because (I’m pretty sure) that she goes strictly by CDC or other medical guidelines even though there is no chance the vaccine could do me any harm. I wonder if she would have said the same thing to a woman over age 45? It’s times like these I wish I still had my (now retired) former doctor of 25 years. He was much more patient-centered. I’ll be looking for a better Doc as I find time.

4 Likes

A Collagen Supplement Improves Skin Hydration, Elasticity, Roughness, and Density: Results of a Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Blind Study

2 Likes

I love collagen supplement. I’ve taken it for 5 years now. It improves my skin and nails. I’ve also used tretinoin for acne for 12 years. And it’s the best! I’ve also tried differin and it doesn’t even come close. I’m 46 and I have hardly any wrinkles. My advice: don’t get differin, get tretinoin, the real deal.

2 Likes
4 Likes

[quote=“DeStrider, post:17, topic:1414”]
I take 10 g of collagen daily. I mix it in my morning coffee with my glycine and it is like creamer (collagen) and sugar (glycine), except healthier.[/quote]

Here to report that I have been on this combo of Glycine and Collagen for about two weeks - my morning coffee goes down smooth. I did an addition starting on Monday - now 4-days having added A-AKG (Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate) it is comprised of the amino acid arginine attached to an alpha-ketoglutarate molecule. This dietary supplement is used by athletes **to improve endurance, performance and avoid muscle fatigue, as well as enhancing recovery.

AAKG may increase production in muscles of nitric oxide, a substance known to have blood-flow-enhancing effects - for sexual health .** .Added to the mix. Coffee still tastes the same - great. I have always had trouble remembering to take A-AKG at the gym and mixing it up was a pain… and it tasted bad. In my coffee at the start of the morning all is good.

Bought this A-AKG for my workouts could not use it because of the taste in water… tried lemonade… not any better. Coffee… works!

2 Likes

Great news! These are the type of hacks that really pay off!

1 Like