So, what's the deal with collagen?

Despite the popularity of collagen, I see very few folks I respect in the longevity field even talk about this. Is it similar to other dietary protein or is it indeed different in key ways? Does collagen really help with joint health?

Also, i’m a vegetarian and I keep my eye out for essential nutrients I may be missing in my diet. I still haven’t figured out of I should be supplementing with collagen, even if it’s in a cyclic or context- dependent manner.

1 Like

Brad Stanfield has a few videos on it, with summaries of the published research. I’ve always been extremely skeptical of collagen since intuitively it seems like it should just be broken down into constitutive amino acids like any other protein source, but apparently some of the peptides get absorbed intact and appear to have biological effects.

1 Like

Thanks! I did stumble upon these videos after my post here. But I wasn’t really convinced by the evidence for it. I guess it’s good to at least know that it can’t hurt (apart from $$) and maybe it’s worth supplementing with it every now and then, at least as a means to add to diversity to one’s diet – perhaps it might help at the gut microbiome level. :man_shrugging:

I was hoping to at least stumble upon some n=1 experiments where different markers of skin and joint health are tested on periods with and without collagen supplementation.

Btw, Brad Stanfield does seem to have good skin. So, there’s that. But my bias is to attribute it to his potential rapamycin consumption, retinol routine, and generally healthy lifestyle.

I’m not sold on it either, but it’s piqued my interest. Brad’s skin also looks good because he’s only 30 years old, wears sunscreen and uses Botox.

2 Likes

At 34:00, Dr. Collin Ewald says he’s not yet convinced about particular benefits of dietary collagen as well, and is waiting for more trials as well.

2 Likes

I use collagen as my daily longevity routine, together with probiotics, prebiotics and wheatgrass mixed with a glass of water first ting in the morning. I see (and others see to) that my skin is more radiant and glowing. I feel much better too. My gut has improved 1000%
If you buy some, get the ones with the most Glycine

2 Likes

Then consensus seems to be maybe, to slightly positive:

Does collagen work?

Some studies show that taking collagen supplements for several months can improve skin elasticity, (i.e., wrinkles and roughness) as well as signs of aging. Others have shown that consuming collagen can increase density in bones weakened with age and can improve joint, back and knee pain. But many of these studies are small and funded by companies that make the product, increasing the opportunity for bias in the results.

It is possible that some of these benefits are attainable, according to a 2019 literature review in the Journal of Drugs in Dermatology. The review found some data from double-blind placebo controlled studies to support that collagen could increase skin elasticity, collagen density and overall hydration.

But a lot more evidence is needed. Dr. Bowe believes that the studies, “though small and preliminary,” show promise. She said she has begun recommending ingestible collagen to her patients and has witnessed noticeable benefits in terms of skin elasticity, firmness and hydration. (She often recommends powder basedsupplements.)

1 Like

A purely anecdotal assessment from an old guy:
I spent a fair amount of time and money taking collagen supplements of various types including liposomal variations. After several months I saw no, subjective, results. So, for me, the cost reward ratio just isn’t worth it.

3 Likes

I took collagen supplements from pills to capsules to powder for years without noticing any benefit. But, of course, any benefit may have been so gradual as to be totally unnoticed. In the end, it was just a matter of how many supplements do I want to take each day and which ones actually have the most benefit. I’m not totally sure! However, I stopped taking collagen a year ago when I decided it was too much trouble. As for Brad Stanfield, I watch him, but he must create videos in order to maintain a YouTube Channel. I take that into account when I watch him or any other YouTube personality. Sure, he provides good content, but I have to be selective when adding or deleting from my supplement list.

6 Likes

My wife and I have been using hydrolyzed collagen powder (marine) for over a year now and the results are great. We mix it in our coffee.
See also: FoundMyFitness Topic - Hydrolyzed Collagen

2 Likes

Stoic, how many grams of hydrolyzed collagen powder do you take per day, and what results have you noticed? Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi Brandy, my wife takes 6-8 grams every day. I take 10-15 grams.

We (friends & family as well) see significant reduction of wrinkles and a better skin condition overall - healthy, glowing, firm complexion.

Here is a study:

Just for your information, to get an idea of the product, we order this:

1 Like

Its definitely logical that collagen can support formation of collagen in the body , might especially be needed on overall low-protein diet. most likely will be including it eventually.

I wonder how hydrolyzed collagen powders vs collagen from things like animal cartilage in food compares.

1 Like