Side Effects of Rapamycin (part 2)

The rash on hands and arms seems to be fairly common. I used to, at higher doses, get a rash the size of a Quarter under my fitbit wristband. It went on and off for many weeks. finally I just stopped wearing the fitbit and I’ve never had it again.

I find it a bit laughable that a high dosage for me is 2 mg. Yes, I know I am increasing the bioavailability a lot, but in my mind’s eye, I had thought to go up to 6 mg + all my extra actions. Seems I will be at 2 mg a while. At least until my next health check up and blood panel in late January. The hospital is booked until then!!!

How often do you dose?

IMO a good rule of thumb is that if you notice side effects that are related to immune system suppression (rashes, colds, pain), you should absolutely get your bloods regularly checked, to see if your immune system can actually recover in between your dosages.

Say you take 4mg every 7 days, if by the time you take your next 4mg your bloods tell you your immune system is still weak, then reduce the dosage or increase the time interval. So you want to check for recovery in between dosages.

I’m new to this forum and Rapamycin in general, but honestly I was pretty surprised to see that in this thread people complain about sometimes (to me) serious side effects and just continue using it at the same interval and dosages, ignoring the signs that the immune system may be impacted

6 Likes

I dose every 2-3 weeks. I increased the time in between two subsequent doses a few months ago.

I think there are two immune effects of rapa. A cut via il-2 to the production of white blood cells. This is a reduction in production which could take around a week to have maximum impact. I may be the only member of this forum that does weekly tests and can say i saw a reduction in WBC in the second blood not the first or third. Secondly i think there is an increase in cytosolic ROS which enable individual cells to fight infection with the upregulation of nf kappa b. The probably produces the localised inflammation.

2 Likes

Head Against Wall GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

How many times must I give you the solution? Stop taking all the expensive placebos and do a proper trial of rapamycin alone.

Not only does the effect of GFJ vary between individuals, it varies within the same individual from dose to dose. The only way to evaluate rapamycin accurately is to remove all other variables.

7 Likes

Thanks Maveric. Rapamycin is just one part of my supplement protocol. I also think my other supplements are worthwhile. I really don’t want to stop everything else and just do Rapamycin as I want it to work in concert with everything else. If 2 mg with GFJ and Metformin is my limit, then it is what it is. I’ll find out more when my blood panels are done next.

1 Like

I’m surprised no one asked how you achieved such a dramatic change in your profile in a relatively short period of time. And I’m not referring to the hair.

2 Likes

I have been doing growing amounts of biohacking with I think some interesting effects. Losing about 1/3 of my body weight (from 130kg to 85kg) was part of that. In many ways you can see me 3 years ago having quite a high level of inflammation. I did a recently collage of photos (attached to this) to show some of the changes.

What, of course, is interesting is the changes to the biomarkers which I think show improvements to things like kidney function.

10 Likes

OK, the rash is getting a bit itchy and when I rub normal moisturizer into it, it burns like hell. Anyone have any good reccommendations for making it go away quickly? Hydrocortisone cream? Thanks!

1 Like

Yes - this is what worked for me. Once or twice a day, apply the cream.

3 Likes

I took my 2 mg dose + GFJ + EVOO + Metformin yesterday. I had the euphoric fatigue as usual. I have come to realize that if I exercise on the day, that feeling morphs into nausea, so I avoid exercise on the day I take the dose.

No new rashes or canker sores that I have found yet or any other adverse reactions.

1 Like

From my perspective, that is unusual. But I really don’t see much at all in the way of side effects, so I may not be the best reference point.

But - most people don’t see any side effects, from our recent survey: Rapamycin User Poll / Survey - Please Respond

But - I do hear about some fatigue from some people, but usually I hear its the day of, or day after, taking rapamycin. Then it goes away. It seems your experience is less common.

2 Likes

Are the headaches severe like a migraine?

So many things can give headaches. I’m wondering if you have some changes in perhaps your diet or sleep patterns after the rapamycin doses.

1 Like

Hey All… I have been on Rapamycin/Sirolimus now 2 years and 1 month. Through most of that time (1 1/2 years) I took 3 pills of 2mg = 6 mg total. No side effects. The I started doing Grape Fruit Juice - GFJ in April. Whenever I do more than 6 mg Rapa with GFJ - I get diarrhea (which can be stopped with Pepto-Bismol Diarrhea capsules - swallow one every few hours until it stops). At 6mg and GFJ - all is fine. Got cocky this week as I have been doing 6mg and GFJ - no issue. I decided to up my dosage one pill which is 2mg - with GFJ it is equal to 10 extra mg. Next day diarrhea. Gonna stick to 6mg with one fresh squeezed Pink Grapefruit to wash it down and the multiplying effect in me it is 5x’s based on LabCorp tests. Done pushing the limit for now. LOL

1 Like

I hadn’t thought of that - that the Rapamycin may affect my sleep pattern and may cause the returning headaches 3-4 days after dosing. Unfortunately I don’t use a sleep tracker, but that’s an interesting suggestion to keep in mind. Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:. My diet is very consistent.

I have been taking various doses of rapamycin from 5mg/week with nothing and up to 20 mg/week with GFJ and EVOO.

The only negative side effect I have ever experienced was diarrhea after large doses.
I have never had a headache at any dosage. High doses just drove some of my lipids to the upper normal limits.

Rapamycin at any dosage has had no effect on my blood pressure. I check my blood pressure daily. Rapamycin has had no effect on my A1c levels at any dosage.

I have cut back to 10mg/week with EVOO and will probably cut back to 5mg/week with EVOO.

The major effects of rapamycin that I can see subjectively are:

Very improved skin condition. It has had a major effect on my sun-damaged skin. You can see from the photo I posted earlier that my skin is much better than most 81-year-olds.

Greatly improved my sleep. I was able to eliminate almost everything in my sleep stack.

Remarkably to me, I am essentially pain-free. Even my bad ankle and knee no longer cause pain.

I never have headaches. They used to be fairly frequent before I started taking rapamycin

What I wish rapamycin would give me, is more stamina. I have experienced no notable effects one way or another concerning stamina and muscle strength.

I really would like to hear from people who have taken rapamycin for years.

4 Likes

The only time I took Rapa (I do intend taking it again) it upset my sleep pattern and I think that is because autophagy impacts on circadian proteins. This reduced over a period of 3 days. I am quite sensitive to sleep variations and I use a sleep tracker. I keep detailed notes about sleep patterns as I started on biohacking to improve my sleep.

What’s your training routine? I did not see any real performance increase until I started doing a structured training program