Side Effects of Rapamycin (part 2)

I haven’t tried doxy with rapa yet, so I don’t know.

I was taking doxycycline for malaria prevention extensively for prolonged periods and was never nauseous. I remember also having really nice skin and never got any of the travel diarrhea too.

2 Likes

That’s a very impressive improvement

1 Like

I have found that the information and guidance from other members of this forum to be even more useful to me than the rapamycin.

9 Likes

What is the typical time delay for a canker sore from a rapamycin dose? I seem to have one that I noticed this morning. I dosed last Friday.

I don’t think there is a standard delay time that we’ve identified in any discussion. I think a few days is what my experience (only had one, several years ago), and I think I’ve heard something like this from others here.

Here are some other conversations, there seems to be a fairly wide range from a day after to 6 days after the dose…

here: Got my first ever herpes labialis / canker sore

here: Cold sores raging early on into rapa

Just a quick reminder that herpes labialis (cold sores) are not the same as canker sores. This is important distinction because antivirals like acyclovir or valtrex can prevent cold sores and have zero effect on canker sores.

2 Likes

My father, who is 76, just started Rapamycin. He is experiencing the same euphoric fatigue that I do. This leads me to believe that the effects of Rapamycin may be related to genetic factors. Has anyone else experienced the same side effects of Rapamycin usage as blood relatives?

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your comments on side-effects. I have read about half of them and they are very good perspective.

I am currently at 8 mg once each week after dosing for about two months. I worked up to that dose. Given side effects mentioned below I am going to stay at this dose for another few months, then take a break for a couple weeks.

My side effects are relatively mild but still noticeable. I have skin tingling that starts out most strongly after dosing, mostly in my hands, face and ears, as well as my scalp. This tingling persists for nearly the entire seven days until the next dose, but gradually declines. I also have moments of a sort of neurological euphoria (hard to describe) once in awhile. I have had these in the past after being very sick and recovering, so that seems a good thing. It it definitely stimulative for me so I am glad I started the habit of taking it in the morning.

P.S.: Forgot to mention I get just a couple of itchy hives on my hands a couple days after dosing. They last for a day or two and then gone.

4 Likes

At one point (as you may have read earlier in the threads), I thought that my newly diagnosed lymphedema was caused by Rapa. So, I went off it for a couple months and got treatment (lymphatic drainage therapy, etc.) with some significant improvement. Having read a boatload of research and even communicating with Matt K, I think there may have been other insidious factors at work. So…I went back on Rapa. The effects were interesting.

I started back on 5 mg per week with nothing like EVOO or GFJ to boost it. The next couple of days I thought I had taken speed (not that I’ve ever taken speed, I’m just imagining the effects). I was almost relentless at work, buzzing through things I had been putting off for weeks. My mood felt like I had won $10 million in the lottery and no longer had a care in the world. I slept great, felt energetic from waking to sleep. I felt like I was 18. The effects lasted for the better part of 3 days. I had started no other supplements or eaten any differently.

I can only attribute it to the dosing. When I first started I went super slow. 1 mg / week for a couple months, then 2 mg / week for a couple of months, etc. until I got up to 6 mg/ week. Now, after a 2 month hiatus I just started at 5 mg / week. The effects were too drastic to be any type of placebo effect and nothing else in my life had changed other than restarting Rapa. I have to say (almost ashamedly) that I enjoyed it. At 57 it felt like a trip back to my teens energy-wise. On day 4 I seemed to come down to normal. I’m due for my next dose on Monday and am very interested to see what, if anything, will happen.

Anyone else experience this?

10 Likes

My euphoric side effects happen both of the two days after dosing. I feel like a million bucks during this time. So it’s a similar feeling.

3 Likes

What dose and how often? Do you use EVOO or GFJ?

2 Likes

You can find my protocol below. I have made some other changes listed later in this thread because I can no longer edit the initial post.

4 Likes

Off topic Re: latest comments but on point re: rapa side effects. I’ve been taking it weekly, 5-6mg + GFJ, since early February. Never got sick in that time. Just went on a rapa vacation while on actual vacation in Europe and after 3 weeks off rapa I got my first cold. Coincidence? You decide. I thought it was worth mentioning.

7 Likes

I have been on R for about 8 wks starting at 2mg then 3, 3, 4 ,4, 4, 5 ,5 …in the first week or so my arthritis pain was much as well as joint pain…mostly gone (I’m 77) in the last 3 or so weeks my gut has been bothering me , I’ve always liked spicy food , but one day after a hot meal my gut burned so I have been off anything fiery until today I had a bit of butter chicken for lunch , the discomfort immediately returned .
Prior to starting R I was feeling pretty good , now not so much although the arthritis and joints are not too bad at all .
the digestive issues I have no idea if this is related to R .?
I was always prone to canker sores these have not increased
I’m planning to go back to 3 later this wk or perhaps I’ll wait a few extra days
I’m in Canada so I am relegated to using to Indian option Biocon
anyone relate ?

4 Likes

Good morning Larry, I have been on 5mg a week for 4 months now. I just turned 54 and have not had any digestive problems from Rapamycin. The literature I have read helps with gut issues. Several people use Acarbose before each meal which I have not tried yet. I will get try 25mg before big meals starting in September. Try costplusdrugs.com they ship all over the world. Thankfully I have a compounding pharmacy out of Ann Arbor, MI that ships to me. I am not sure what part of Canada you are from. I have experienced several great things from Rapamycin. My metabolism has increased, weight loss, more energy etc.

2 Likes

thanks for that Chuck I will check it out , you know before the gut thing I was feeling really great and thinking wow the greatest thing since …!
the compounding pharmacy is for your R right ?
so you have a script …Dr Green ?

1 Like

Well, my euphoric fatigue is gone now. It’s been replaced by what I’d like to call an ‘energetic inebriation’. The first day after dosing, I’m a little out of it. I’d put the feeling at a level of inebriation after having equivalent to 1-2 glasses of wine yet I have a lot of energy. By the second day, the energy persists but the daze is gone. I believe this is due to the 6-8 g of Taurine I am now taking daily. I believe Rapa and Taurine are highly synergistic. Other changes are 5 mg of Rosuvastatin and 500 mg of Metformin daily, but I don’t think they would cause this change.

Also, my muscles feel a lot ‘tighter’ and ‘fuller’ and stronger even though I have not changed my exercise routine. I attribute this to taurine as well.

4 Likes

"If you go down to the woods today, be wise,
For flies and mosquitos, they devise,
A picnic feast, a feast so crude,
With you as their feast, their chosen food.

Those little ankle biters, they persist,
In causing misery, a gnawing twist,
Their wounds they leave, both itch and swell,
A relentless torment, as stories tell.

Rapamycin, a drug of fate,
Slows down the dance of healing’s gate,
A double-edged sword, it seems to be,
In the woods, where wounds seek to break free.

So heed this tale of woods and skin,
Where nature’s creatures play to win,
Rapamycin’s effect, a caution sign,
In the forest’s realm, where wounds entwine."

(With a little help from ChatGPT)

Yes, I haven’t been in the wilds for a while and I had forgotten how flies, mosquitoes, etc., can eat you alive without you even knowing it.
The mosquito and fly bites I received, mainly on my ankles itch like hell and are larger and redder than they normally get, and itch and persist much longer. Pretty sure rapamycin is responsible.

12 Likes

@desertshores Yes, I’ve noticed the same…

2 Likes