Side Effects of Rapamycin (part 2)

Nails became weaker, however I’m not sure what to blame - rapamycin or acrylic nails that have been popular for years.

3 Likes

Babies nails are very thin. As we grew up and get older our nails become progressively thicker.
Is it not possible that thinner nails are just a sign of winding back the biological clock?

6 Likes

Thinning nails are one of the first things I noted after a few months of rapamycin use.
Is this common?

1 Like

“Is it not possible that thinner nails are just a sign of winding back the biological clock?”
One would hope so :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Especially the thinning of my toenails that were becoming disgusting (imo)! Now after 6 months they are much nicer. As body parts go I really don’t like feet in general though and the condition of toenails I see in the hospital is appalling.

3 Likes

The rate of growth of nails is one thing that reduces with biological age.

4 Likes

Yes, with slowing their growth nails thicken, because the nail cells (onychocytes) sort of pile up. Now the question is, does rapamycin make nails grow faster again or reduces onychocytes growth?

4 Likes

Peter Attia has mentioned that what he has noticed is much slower growing nails when he is on rapamycin.

5 Likes

Google is always risky with medical conditions, but it helped me with a strange rash on the inside calves of both legs. That was listed as a possible side effect of a medicine I was taking at the time. I stopped taking the medicine and the rash went away.

4 Likes

Looking good. I’m 62 male, hair has been turning white for last 20 years. I’ve read that some people report their hair becoming darker on Rapa but I’ve noticed no difference in fullness or color after 6 months. Curious, has your hair naturally darkened with Rapa or did you add some color?

1 Like

Yes, my hair has started coming in black in my beard and scalp. Solid black…I am naturally brown blonde with tints of red.

A hair tonic I ceeated with oderless DMSO, ECGC (green tea capsules) and Reveratrol (capsules) has created a natural match to my youthful hair. With my current natural hair…I have no grey hair. Very natural.

My pubic hair and arm pit hair is not grey either… no tonic…lol…it had been grey a few years ago. So I think rapamycin is doing something to hair color… much of my scalp hair is brown again too. Using rapamycin 3 years come August. Hope that helps.

7 Likes

Recently I was diagnosed with lymphedema. Out of curiosity I searched sirolimus/lymphedema and was startled to find case studies and papers linking the two. I started Rapa in Nov '21 and the lymphedema started in July '22. I never gave it a second thought that they could be related, but according to some papers I’ve read it can start as much as 6 months after dosing is started. Granted, the doses the people were on were for cancer treatment or transplants, but it got me thinking and concerned. I have seen significant and wonderful changes in taking Rapa at 5 mg once/week, but am wondering if it has contributed to my lymphedema. I have no family history of it and other causes such as local trauma, immune diseases, etc. have been ruled out. Wanted to find out if anyone else has seen anything similar?

1 Like

Are you still taking Rapa?

Took my weekly dose on Monday (before I actually researched this possible connection). I am getting lymphatic drainage done with compression therapy starting in July. I am going to go off Rapa to see if there are any changes. I’m having a hard time accepting that the Rapa is causing it as according to my research it’s rare (and are only documented in much higher doses) and there are studies going on right now advocating the use of Rapa for lymphedema. I’m getting big time cognitive dissonance over this.

7 Likes

had the same issue after a couple months or so of rapamycin use. Stopped rapa after a few more months. Started taking lysine for mouth sores and it also seemed to help the lymphedema in lower legs, ankles, feet.

2 Likes

were u still able to do rapa without having to do Empagliflozin any more ? and no more lymphedema ?

I have stayed on empag and rapamycin, leg edema improved still to this day

1 Like

What is your empaglifozin dose?

1 Like

I am taking 1/2 of a 25mg, i think kidney function has also improved, my GFR has gone up

2 Likes

I found out that the bubbly feeling is not afib. It seems to be tied to the ubiquinol COQ10 supplement I was taking. My wife had the same feeling. We both stopped it and the feeling has not returned. Doesn’t seem tied to Rapa as my wife is not taking Rapa.

Glad it’s not afib.

5 Likes