Side Effects of Rapamycin (part 2)

Jerry we are seeing a lot bioavailability issues with rapamycin from compounding pharmacies…

See here Bioavailability of Rapamycin From Compounding Pharmacy

1 Like

Definitely worth getting a Labcorp blood test 1 1/2 to 2 hours after dose for your t-max ng/mL.

2 Likes

After experimentation, I have found that an antibiotic cream is more effective than isoconazole for getting rid of Rapamycin acne. Therefore these outbreaks are probably bacterial in nature and probably why they break out when you take Rapamycin. Makes sense to me.

1 Like

Since I have started eating sugars and carbs again to fuel my high intensity workouts I get some acne again. So perhaps try low/no carb

2 Likes

How about on the 3rd and 4th week? Are the cramps gone?

1 Like

a new effect I’ve just begun to notice: after several years of chronic sinus infections (and a ton of antibiotics to deal with those) and 2 sinus surgeries (~13 years ago) to help manage, I had lost a great deal of my sense of smell and taste. I’m just coming into my 6th month on rapa. I cracked a beer yesterday (Old Milwaukee, which definitely isn’t known for being especially flavourful) and could taste all kinds of nuance. Definitely notice my sense of smell coming back as well. Pretty happy about these ones!

6 Likes

DeStrider, What are the ingredients in your antibiotic cream? Does it contain any ingredients specifically for pain or itching? In the US the Neosporin antibiotic cream ingredients are neomycin - antibiotic, polymyxin - antibiotic, and Pramoxine - analgesic (for pain and itching)? Thanks.

1 Like

Wow… interesting event. Just as we all age/wear out/decline as we all age differently - it would seem rapamycin affects each person a bit uniquely in whatever they have as their functional declines. With me it was choking and varicose veins… for you - taste and smell. It is cool to hear about these rejuvenations and improvements.

3 Likes

This is the antibiotic cream that I used. It seemed to work well even though it is originally for the eyes. I applied it to the neck and hand rashes.

Also, the rashes on the hand have gone away almost completely even though I took my normal rapamycin dosage yesterday. I think it may have been caused by the hair tonic as I would rub the hair tonic in with both hands. Now I avoid using the hand with rashes to rub in the tonic and that has helped a lot.

3 Likes

I am aware of the hazards. But buy buying the bulk branded sirolimus rather than generic Rapamycin the only real variability is accurate encapsulation. What’s in the blood is always the critical factor.

1 Like

The fact is…

You can be assured it is NOT to a pharmaceutical grade unless assayed and test. Testing will cost more than real RAPAMUNE®.

2 Likes

Sol, I had what I think is best described as petechiae (a bunch of small red dots on one arm) the first time I tried rapamycin. The same arm that I had had shingles many years before. I immediately went from 6 MG to 2 MG and worked my way back up. It was a one time occurrence fortunately.

5 Likes

Excellent Mike - I read Zinc has been used for over 1000 years a preventative for many things - cold virus on up. Makes sense to have good zinc levels as part of ones overall health.

And I agree on holistic health - most things that bring health and well-ness are basic health focused actions - in diet, exercise, mental health and manual medicine - your car and every machine (humankind has created) gets out of adjustment - you think we are any different? After a work out I can literally stretch and feel my whole anatomy fall back into place.

3 Likes

Joseph, thank you for your concern. But Pfizer makes and sells their bulk powder to compounding pharmacists. So while some will buy off brands, others will get their supply from the Pharma company. A competent compounding pharmacist will do a good job of dose control. Following your blood levels is always critical. I know this pharmacist well and have used his services for many compounded drugs for thousands of patients over the past decades. The cost of Sirolimus runs $2 - $2.50 per mg for our patients depending on the volumes of their order. And yes, a fixed percentage of each of his compounded drugs go out for assay as a standard QA procedure.

JNM

2 Likes

I have increased my Rapamycin dosage to 4 mg + GFJ. The rash on my hand has not come back ever since I stopped using my right hand to massage in the hair tonic. So, the hand rashes are almost definitely not linked to oral Rapamycin dosage. This also leads me to believe that the neck acne is also linked to the tonic and not oral Rapamycin dosage.

Other side effects have also been mitigated. I find it odd that I am having fewer side effects while slowly increasing my Rapamycin dosage. Isn’t this the opposite of what should be happening? Or is it my body adjusting to Rapamycin?

If we are supposed to increase our dosage until we hit side effects but then the side effects disappear with time, should we continue to increase our dosage? This has become confusing as it is a bit counter-intuitive in my situation. Does this occur in others as well?

5 Likes

Quick update…

I just took my largest dose 4 mg + GFJ + EVOO and I made the post above. I thought I didn’t have any side-effects, but then…

Last night:

1. Had a hard time sleeping even though I took the Rapa at 1 pm.
  2. Bad diarrhea twice
  3. Euphoric fatigue (feeling of well-being yet tired)

I enjoy #3, so that’s more of a benefit. I am used to #2 from my heavy metformin days. #1 was probably the hardest, but not bad compared to some other days.

At least no canker sores, rashes or acne (yet).

2 Likes

You might want to try taking the Rapa immediately before you go to sleep. I do this.
I’m asleep before it hits my system, so if there is any tiredness, well I’m asleep already. I doesn’t wake me up, and I have intense focus/concentration the next day (rather than that being wasted during sleep time - or even creating a hard time sleeping).
Try it and compare to this last experience.

6 Likes

@Russ_Mortensen, I’m wondering if you have any thoughts on a person with chronic sinus infections starting rapamycin? He’s kind of concerned if it could make it worse and seeing your report I thought I’d ask about your experience. Thank you, Melissa

1 Like

I would think rapamycin would help. Usually the cause of chronic sinusitis are nasal polips for which corticosteroids are often prescribed

2 Likes

Thank you @mike666 & @Arhu. I passed this information on to him. I greatly appreciate the input!

1 Like