Side Effects of Rapamycin (part 2)

sol, Since it’s your normal food, coffee, and yogurt I have no suggestions about your much greater than normal side effects. But, I do suggest that you don’t go above 1 mg weekly until you no longer experience any unusually bad side effects.

1 Like

Thanks. That matches my plans. :smiley:

I’m happy to say I’m also noticing some marvelous up-side effects, as well. So far, I’m definitely pleased with the results.

Please describe, if you can, the benefits you’ve seen.

2 Likes

It’s early days, so of course I don’t know if any of these results will continue, but I felt and continue to feel noticeably better overall, which was clear when the side-effects passed. Energy, focus, mood–all the things that are hard to quantify, but you know damned well when you’ve got real improvement, because of the difference from previous state. As I said previously, I’m often a fast responder, and low-doses can be quite effective for me. I do have hints of other benefits, but it’s too early for me to be sure enough to say. At least publicly. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m definitely struggling with acne (primarily on my forehead)…they’re cystic and hang around for weeks. Anyone have that side effect?

1 Like

Russ, in another post i think you mentioned you are taking 4 to 5mg with GFJ which is equivalent to somewhere between 15mg to 30mg per week dosing of rapamycin. This is a really high dose. Side effects can be quite common at that dosing level.

4 Likes

Isoconazole seems to be effective if applied when you first notice the acne. After they have become entrenched, it doesn’t work as well. I have the same issue on my hand and neck.

I started Rapamycin about 6 weeks ago at 4mg q5 days. after 2 weeks increased to 8mg Q5 ?Days then in another week to 12mg Q5 days. at this dose I have noticed several things, all good. At 75 years old my urine flow was slow enough that I was starting to worry about the need for a TURP in the next year or so. I am now urinating like I did 20 years ago. The chronic low grade ache in my hips and shoulders has totally cleared. I had been trying to learn Mandarin with little success. The proper pronunciation and word order just would not stick in memory. We older folk are known for difficulty in learning new languages. For the past 2 weeks I am adding new words and phrases at a rapid rate with great retention. over the past year I have been developing paresthesias in my feet. They are still there, but the sensation in my toes is improving significantly. No adverse effects at all so far. We shall see what happens over the next 6 weeks when I plan to take a 2-3 month break before the next cycle.

18 Likes

Wow, great news. Thanks so much for posting your progress so far. I look forward to hearing more in the future.

2 Likes

Like everyone I know using this drug there are a lot of beliefs and guesses but very few hard and fast rules. We are all feeling our way with this. I have been impressed by the 2017 dog study. The dose of 0.1mg/Kg 3 times a week would translate to a dose for a guy my size (6’4" and 91kg) to 27 or 28 mg per week in divided doses that would hit mTOR 1 really hard but also probably depress mTOR 2 to a significant degree. The question is, how important is that for a short term use such as the 10 weeks in the study? There were virtually no adverse effects in the study, and for a 75 year old guy like me, the improved cardiac function was a significant finding. Still, the 3 times a week dosing made me a bit nervous. I am a risk taker by nature, but I want to let my levels decline a bit further between doses. At Q 5 days, the trough levels become stable at about 33% of the peak values after 4-5 doses. My guess is that it should allow some reasonable degree of mTOR2 function for part of each week. And since it is my intention to drop off for a few months after 3 months or therapy, and since I have robust immune responses to start, it seems like a risk ratio I was willing to accept.
My Diet. I am an omnivore who eats about anything that not eat me first. But I generally have 2 meals a day. We have breakfast followed by about 3 miles on the trails, then off to the office. A lunch about 1 or 2 but then no food until the next morning. ( I a up about 5:30 each day and the breakfast is about 6am.) My wife and I do another 2 miles each evening.
The supplements on the clinic site are widely varied. My physicians prescribe supplements for each patient depending on their individual needs. So they are on only a small fraction of the large number of supplements we make available.

I am on testosterone, DHEA, pregnenolone, resveratrol, Progesterone, Tadalafil daily.

Why Mandarin? My wife is Chinese and we have a condo in Chengdu and LOTS of Chinese friends. Mandarin is my daughter’s first language, Ijave tried for years to master the language with miserable success. But I am making good progress since starting Rapa.

Jerry

3 Likes

Yes, the anabolic hormones certainly boost mTOR1 to some degree. But I enjoy being strong, fast and my wife at least, thinks I’m sexy. While I would enjoy living a long life, I also fully intend to ENJOY life. I have no interest in being a skinny puny long lived wuss. I am married to a woman 30 years my junior and my last child was born when I was 65. I fully intend to run, jump, leap and cavort my way through life with a big smile on my face and a song on my lips. So I maintain my anabolic hormone load in the mid range for a healthy 25 year old, my A1c at about 5 -5.1, and add the Rapamycin to get as much benefit, balanced against as few down sides as I can manage. My belief is to stack the odds as far as I can in my favor, and then relax and play the game!

8 Likes

Same intention with me, Doc! I’m a mere 53, but I’m not going down without a fight :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wonderful results! May I ask which brand of rapamycin you use?

1 Like

I have a Fitbit and Garmin watch. Fitbit have had a few complaints about their straps causing irritation.With their charge model all my wrist became inflamed and really itched

1 Like

Did you have this problem before or after taking the rapamycin?

My fitness tracker was actually the Amazon Halo ( I use the term “fitbit” as just a generic fitness tracker).

Could be cytosolic ROS which I think are a byproduct of improved autophagy.

Our compounding pharmacy buys the sirolimus in bulk and compounds any size caps we want. I started with 4mg caps, then went to 8mg, ie-2 caps, now using 2,-10mg caps each dose for a total of 20mg/dose. No adverse effects of any kind thus far.

1 Like

Jerry we are seeing a lot bioavailability issues with rapamycin from compounding pharmacies…

See here Bioavailability of Rapamycin From Compounding Pharmacy

1 Like

Definitely worth getting a Labcorp blood test 1 1/2 to 2 hours after dose for your t-max ng/mL.

2 Likes

After experimentation, I have found that an antibiotic cream is more effective than isoconazole for getting rid of Rapamycin acne. Therefore these outbreaks are probably bacterial in nature and probably why they break out when you take Rapamycin. Makes sense to me.

1 Like