Side Effects of Rapamycin (part 2)

My resting HR data shows the same pattern:

See it come back down after I skipped last week’s dose. Clearly my Oura ring does not like doses above 0.1mg/kg!!

2 Likes

I don’t know whether it is best to measure HRV whilst awake or asleep. Fitbit measures it asleep, Elite HRV goes for awake. I don’t know about Oura ring.

1 Like

Oura records whilst asleep then gives you an average.

1 Like

I stopped taking oral Rapamycin 3 weeks ago, yet today I had an outbreak of neck acne in a large patch. Now I am wondering if my body is absorbing the Rapamycin through AgeTron’s hair tonic that I use daily in the morning. If so, I am in effect taking Rapamycin topically every day and this may be why I am still experiencing side-effects even though I am not taking it orally.

However, the amount in the hair tonic is much lower than what I took orally. Is it possible that you may get more Rapamycin topically than you do orally? I would do a blood test to measure my Sirolimus levels, but that’s just not available here in Hong Kong. Has anyone else measured this???

It also could be why @AgeTron’s Sirolimus levels were so high! It’s not just the oral route but also topical absorption!

2 Likes

Does your acne/pimples look similar?

I got a big 1 near my forehead 3 days ago… Not sure if its rapamycin related though,

The ones on my neck are almost faded. They kind of changed from a pimple to a rash.

1 Like

Did you use transcutol or DSMO? In the research study using transcutol they saw no systemic absorption (via the rapamycin skin cream). DSMO has, I think, more ability to permeate the skin and go deeper.

1 Like

DeStrider you bring up an excellent point. That some rapamycin could be absorbed through the skin… it is true if you take oral Minoxidol 5mg and use it topically 5% you get a much higher dose in your system.

I am using my skunk works tonic in the morning every other day now. Hair growth is maintained. Mostly I like the natural glaze color it gives my hair. Grey is completely gone.

I wonder if you had a LabCorp test if it would show rapamycin in your system?

In November I will do a rapamycin trough test and after do a second test after rapamycin dose.
If trough is low then the topical rapamycin is negligible.

I have been trying to stay at 30 ng/mL each week since May. I want to see how that for 6 months effects my biological glycans and methylation in December.

Certainly appreciate your heads up. Thank.

1 Like

I use DSMO in my solution.

Yes, I used DMSO and followed the recipe exactly.

Almost like a rash. Last time was just one pimple.

2 Likes

just like mine! changes from pimple to rash like.

Definitely important that we all share what we learn. I had not updated my hair tonic information in a while.

I am still using the same formula… just not as frequently as before. Was using initially morning and night… for 4 months… now every other morning seems enough. Did you get hair benefit from the tonic?

Also, did you stop taking rapamycin 3 weeks ago due to other side effects? Curious - what was your dosage?

I hope all is normal soon. I am concerned.

1 Like

I think the hair tonic needs to be stopped for now until everything clears up. I have also started coughing up a greenish-yellow phlegm this morning, so it appears I have caught some respiratory infection as well. I need my immune system at peak performance so all Rapa has to be stopped.

What this event tells me is that 2 ml of daily hair tonic with Rapa dissolved in DMSO may have greater absorption than oral Rapa.

Unfortunately, I haven’t noticed a lot of hair growth yet from the tonic. I am taking 1mg of finesteride orally as well, but not taking the oral minoxidil. Everyone has a different biology and it appears I may be quite sensitive to Rapamycin and not sensitive enough (or too far gone) in regards to my hair. :rofl: :sob:

3 Likes

For the second time I had an itchy rash on one shin days after my dose - thought someone else had mentioned experiencing that also.

3 Likes

Definitely Chris.

I know you’re already pretty healthy. The idea is to get better. I just increased my lifting 15 pounds… at almost 65 years that is impressive. Feel that I could not have gotten there without rapamycin.

Hair is respectfully thick… but on oral Minoxidol and finasteride too. Suffered with swollen ankles for weeks… from oral Minoxidol but blood pressure was normal 127 over 72.

I am absolutely shredded… so I look very sinewy… compared to pre-rappa days… thicker back then… not stronger.

My strength and current size seems pretty stable. Overall, feel like I am much younger… waist went from 34 to 31 inches.

Yet a lot of people seem to feel no change. But
I have been on prescription rapamycin… and tests shows it is in me. Too bad others on this site have to cobble their dose from many questionable sources… forms of rapa that might not be getting past their gut acids.

For me, biologically I can see it… feel it.

5 Likes

I can definitely feel it as well, but I do take a lot of supplements so it’s hard to tell what comes from what. My grey hair has turned brown again (mostly) and I have lost adipose tissue around my waist. However, my overall weight has not decreased. I don’t work out heavily (other than walking) so I am not sure where the weight went?!

For Rapamycin, I have found the following effects:

1. Euphoria/Nausea for the two days after oral ingestion of 2 mg +GFJ + Metformin
  2. Neck acne and rashes (1 of each)
  3. Back of hand rash (1)
  4. Canker sores (1 per week)

I hope there are some good changes going on inside me as well, but those are much harder to quantify than the negative side effects! I will be getting my next blood work done in January to see any effects on cholesterol or blood glucose. I am a bit younger at 47.

3 Likes

Right dominant hand.

Seems like I will be delayed from taking Rapamycin for another 3 weeks. I have developed an infected cyst on my right shoulder and will need it to be surgically removed. This has happened to me in the past and usually not a big deal. However it can easily get reinfected and the wound needs to heal quickly. So, no Rapa for another month. :frowning:

I usually get one of these suckers every 2 years, although it has been 17 months since the last one. Since it is a bacteria that lives in your body, I wonder if Rapamycin sped up the infection process due to a weaker immune system? If so, that would not be good.

4 Likes

The first and second times, I was only taking Metformin. Now I take a much larger stack of vitamins and supplements. Honestly, 5 months isn’t a whole lot earlier, but still earlier. Prior to 40, I never had any issues with this.

1 Like

Thank you for your useful insights! I would love to never have these again. My doctor is more pragmatic. Surgery to cure.

1 Like

That looks like very mild rash, my acne is 4 times larger than you lol, so no worry about that.

My personal experience: Acne on face are usually bigger and more painful than rash on torso.
I guess maybe the oil produced by sebaceous glands exacerbates the acne on face.

1 Like