Rapamycin used with Testosterone replacement

Hello All! Anyone use both rapamycin and testosterone replacement? Thoughts on timing?

3 Likes

Yes, I do, bi-weekly self-injections (3.5 yrs). I take Rapamycin weekly (1.5 yrs), currently exploring with increased dosing levels. I have not any reason or knowledge to concern with overlap/timing.

3 Likes

Isn’t exogenous testosterone mTORC1 activating? It seems that they would be contra-indicated.

The S6K1 phosphorylation induced by testosterone was blocked by rapamycin and small interfering RNA to mTOR.

2 Likes

Yes, it does, I am certainly balancing several longevity pathways. I might need some extra Rapamycin :muscle:

1 Like

It also seems you would want to time them such that they are opposite in terms of dosing schedule, wouldn’t you? i.e. dose the testosterone when Rapamycin is at its trough blood levels?

5 Likes

Thank You! I have seen some posts that try to balance metformin and exercise and did not know if some people were trying to do similar strategies with TRT and Rapamycin with activating and deactivating mTOR. It would make sense that as younger men we have higher testosterone levels yet seem to have better mTOR regulation although I have not seen many discussions of comparing mTOR regulation in young vs. old.

1 Like

Yes, exactly what I was thinking and may make sense of doing biweekly Rapamycin when doing TRT? Any information that you have seen on how mTOR regulates differently in younger vs. older?

1 Like

Yes, I have been on TRT 3 years now… helped with weight loss in combination with rapamycin for visceral fat loss. Maintaining muscle.

Started rapamycin 1 year after the TRT. I think the combination of the two is a good match.

I do rapamycin on Monday. Cypionate on Thurs.

I figure any negative effects of Cypionate are corrected by rapamycin biology regeneration.
My epigenetic biological age is 51 years … actual age 64 years. GlycanAge is 37 years. Works for me.

Also, I take 1 pill of anastrozole per week with my shot to balance my male estradiol which is in the perfect level - not too much not too little for the past 3-years.

It works for me.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing. It would make sense that a balance of turning on and off mTOR would be ideal. I do a similar regime, but without the anastrozole. Just started the Rapamycin 2 months ago and enjoying some of the changes.

2 Likes

This just in today… my GlycanAge results.

Looks like it is working. Yeah!

6 Likes

Hi Mac,
I do both: IM testosterone once weekly and 6 mg rapamycin/sirolimus once weekly…seems like a no-brainer to me.

1 Like

One Year Of Testosterone Therapy For Men With Low Levels Of The Hormone Appears Not To Increase Risk For Heart Problems, Meta-Analysis Concludes

HealthDay (6/9) reports, “One year of testosterone therapy for men with low levels of the hormone does not appear to increase their risk for heart problems,” researchers concluded in findings presented at an Endocrine Society meeting and simultaneously published online in The Lancet Healthy Longevity journal.

Healio (6/9) reports investigators arrived at this conclusion after they “conducted a meta-analysis of 35 studies…of testosterone vs. placebo for hypogonadism including 5,601 participants.”

3 Likes

The Huberman / Attia podcast recently covered a lot of ground on Testosterone replacement for men (and estradiol for women). Highly recommend it if you are interested in this. I have never followed this area of research as I don’t believe it has much of an impact on longevity (but it seems it does help guys get more things done… from what Peter Attia says) - which may be useful in terms of quality of life. The video below is queued up to start at the testosterone discussion.

2 Likes

Great find-- the TRT information is solid. An added treat is the section that follows on Cholesterol and LDL-C. Nice!

1 Like

As you adjust your TRT dose, keep this in mind :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hahaha… my thoughts before I started TRT.

Truth… in my humble opinion…if you are 60 or older… rapamycin and TRT make a rocking combination for muscle, bone, energy and mental euphoria. But you need to do a consistent … regular solid workout … as Dr. Attia says in the podcast… or it does nothing for you.

3 Likes

How much T are you taking Jason?

1 Like

Once weekly…1ml of 200 mg Cypionate …inter muscular injection in thigh.

1 Like

Peter Attia says in the Podcast above (1:56) that it’s rare his patients go above 100mg per week (“the highest we’ve ever had to go is 70mg twice per week”). Are you concerned about the longer term side effects of supra physiological doses?

3 Likes

Chiming in, I take 100 mg/week, split two biweekly injections of enanthate. Attia talks very specifically about getting free T to 2% of total T. My last panel, my free was 1.8%.

My doc has taken my free T to around 550, like a 25 yr old. Hardly “supra” doses.

1 Like