Rapamycin Rescues Hair Growth

A new study has found that autophagy plays an important role in activating hair follicle stem cells and keeping the hair growth cycle going. By boosting autophagy, rapamycin improved hair growth in mice and in a human hair organ culture.

Full story:

Source Paper:

Results: Autophagy in hair follicle stem cells (HFSC) was highest during the transition from telogen to anagen. Inhibiting autophagy with 3-MA led to early entry into catagen and prolonged telogen, whereas Rapa promoted autophagy and hair growth. Autophagy activated HFSC by increasing the expression and activity of HFSC lactate dehydrogenase (Ldha), thereby transforming HFSC metabolism into glycolysis. Inhibition of Ldha expression counteracted the effects of autophagy.

Conclusions: Autophagy activated HFSC by promoting the transition from HFSC metabolism to glycolysis, ultimately initiating the hair follicle cycle and promoting hair growth.

Full Paper (Open Access)

Other papers on hair growth and rapamycin:

Here: mTORC1 activity negatively regulates human hair follicle growth and pigmentation

and:

Stimulation of Hair Growth by Small Molecules that Activate Autophagy

https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fulltext/S2211-1247(19)30699-0

‘Rapamycin (1.6 mM) induces hair regeneration. Male mice were shaved on postnatal day 43 and treated topically every other day. Photographs were taken on day 37 post-treatment.’

Related Discussion Threads:

Here: Rapamycin for Hair Growth and Hair Pigmentation (includes DIY Rapamycin Hair serum instructions)

Here: Topical rapamycin hair growth regimen

11 Likes

I’ve probably seen around 100 papers on rapamycin now. I’d say 95 of those resulted in positive results for whatever they were testing. You could throw darts at a dartboard to test any metric of human healthspan and almost certain to find rapamycin improves it.

5 Likes

The sad thing is that negative results are less likely to be published for anything. However, more efficient mitochondria are likely to make any issue better.

3 Likes

In many cases yes but I don’t think in the case of rapamycin because nobody has a patent on it. The people doing the studies have no dog in any hunt.

6 Likes

I do wonder whether high doses of oral rapamycin can accumulate in the hair follicle aswell.

I think it is a general problem with research. In a sense there is an inherent systemic pressure for positive results. When it comes to rapamycin and hair i think rapamycin helps.

1 Like

FWIW

Dissolve rapamycin in DMSO, then make a solution and rub into the scalp.

You will deliver rapamycin into the hair follicle/hair stem cells (HFSCs)

1 Like

This is strictly anecdotal, but my cat was shaved almost to the skin for his ultrasound. The hair started growing back, but slowly. After he had been on Rapa for a couple of weeks, his fur suddenly started growing back very quickly, and is now very thick. This could just be his winter coat coming in, or maybe I’m seeing what I want to see, but the results seem to confirm the mouse study

4 Likes

Hmmm. This suggests an experiment. First, you need a sufficient number of cats. Let’s say 20 controls and 20 to receive the rapamycin. They should be shorthair cats…easier to shave.
Second; begin by herding each group of cats toward the lab….oh, never mind!!

7 Likes

So it seems that topical rapamycin, metformin and alpha-KG are all fairly effective on the mice and also have some effect on human follicles.
I’m tempted to try all 3 concurrently but then, if it helps, I won’t know what is best. Has anyone tried any of these yet?

1 Like

With topical applications you can do left/right side comparisons

2 Likes

True. I used to do that several years ago. Treatment on left side. Right side was control.

1 Like

You forgot the sedative (for you, not the cats) and the chain mail gauntlets

6 Likes

Was the difference very significant?

Possibly a daft question here, the study shows results in 11 days. Assuming this was also effective in human HFSCs would we be looking at 11 days, longer or shorter?

1 Like

Mice hair growth cycle is like ~28 days total from the telegon to the anagen phase.

Whereas a human hair growth cycle can go anywhere from a couple months to a couple years.

The healthier the hair the longer the hair cycle is in the anagen phase.

3 Likes

It’s so long ago I even forget what I was trying. And no; no significant difference anyway. :pouting_cat:

1 Like

Yes, isn’t that the truth!
LOL!! :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat: