Rapamycin, Recommended Cycle Time Length?

Healthy 50 year old looking to run an annual cycle of Rapamycin to improve senescence.
Does anyone have a suggested protocol to minimize side effects, whilst ensuring sufficient positive impact .
This study interestingly looks at the senescence biomarkers for a 12 week protocol for a range of doses from 0.5 mg per day up to 2 mg. But in a small elderly population.Effect of Low-Dose Rapamycin on Senescence Markers and Physical Functioning in Older Adults with Coronary Artery Disease: Results of a Pilot Study - PubMed

Does anyone have other suggestions or should I stick to you 2 mg for 12 weeks? Each year.

1 Like

I just found this which answers much of my question. I guess my key question is how quickly does epigenetic age and other biomarkers creep back up after stopping a cycle? My hope is to cycle off for long periods, perhaps allowing a higher dose when on cycle

"In Peter Attia’s podcast interview with Joan Mannick and Nir Barzelai 83 he mentioned his dosing protocol and the rationale behind it:

Joan’s paper 83 suggested 5 mg once a week was a pretty good place to start
Peter triangulated that data with data from Matt Kaeberlein’s dogs 27
He settled on 6 mg once a week
What still remains unclear for Peter is how to cycle it
Current protocol is—on for 8 weeks, off for 5 weeks
“But, truthfully, without more advanced testing, I’m really making it up and therefore I don’t like talking about it like I just did .”

1 Like

Hi, I recommend you review as much as you can in this FAQ: Rapamycin Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

We have a page there on dosing - see here: What is the Rapamycin Dose / Dosage for Anti-Aging or Longevity?

The short answer is we don’t know much about the longevity effect in humans, as there have been few clinical studies.

Peter Attia is no longer cycling off I believe, as most people have gone off that protocol because most people are having few side effects. But - you can do whatever you want obviously.

I also recommend you check out our poll of users so you can see what people have been experiencing in terms of side effects and benefits: Approximately 87% of Rapamycin Users Plan to Keep Using the Longevity Drug

The issue with Rapamycin is that it has positive and negative effects. The question therefore is the balance between the positive period and negative period which is a complex question.

I have my own theory of aging which concludes that Rapamycin in increasing autophagy is useful, but because of its negative effects weekly or even fortnightly (given the half life) is too frequent.

1 Like

Yes, I’m curious whether we can gain much of the benefit with intermittent dosing. Is there any evidence of Autophagy from a single dose?

Unfortunately, its currently not possible to measure invivo autophagy (in a clinic), but its an area thats progressing in the lab. See this thread: Measuring Autophagy in Body and Brain, Comparing Autophagy Activators

This would be difficult to measure in a human being because there are many other factors. For example i am running an intervention with a large number of components and although i try to isolate out the effects of each one it is not that easy or reliable i can only measure the overall effects.