Rapamycin + Metformin

Are any of you on a regimen of Rapa and Metformin? If so what is the regimen you following, i.e. dosage and frequency?

3 Likes

Hi, welcome to the site! I was on both rapamycin (6mg/week) and metformin (1500mg Slow Release 1 X per day) - but this was about two years ago.

The dosing of rapamycin was in the typical dose range that many people use in anti-aging applications - you can see this post on rapamycin dosing for more information.

I took 1500mg of metformin per day because that was what the TAME (trial of metformin in Aging) trial is planning to use (see this presentation on the TAME Trial).

Butā€¦ after I saw the news on metformin with regard to impact on muscle recovery after exercise (I exercise a lot - most days of the week), I decided to skip the metformin and now Iā€™m just on Rapamycin.

If you exercise less frequently, metformin may be a good fit for you - I donā€™t know.

3 Likes

Thank you Rap!! Very helpful.

1 Like

New study on Metformin:

Full Paper:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.23410

I love to use my own experience whenever possible. I did 3 bouts of metformin and each time my exercise capacity diminished significantly. Thereā€™s no doubt about it and Iā€™ll never try it again.

I agree with Brad that non diabetics shouldnā€™t take it.

3 Likes

The literature, in those pesky mice, is just short of amazing results re Berberine. But generally dysfunctional animal models. Thereā€™s that translation thing againā€¦

I tried berberine. Less of an exercise impact compared with metformin but I still dumped it.
I like things that enhance my exercise capacity, not diminish it.
Rapamycin worked and so does pine bark.
The pde5 inhibitors work pretty well also but the nasal congestion is bothersome. I can negate it with dragons blood .

1 Like

The current medical literature does not support Metformin use in non diabetics.

1 Like

Hmmmā€¦
Might need to take a 6-month break on Metformin and see.

Certainly canā€™t afford to lose any muscle mass that I work so hard to getā€¦ lol.

Metformin: historical overview

Meh. I have been taking low-dose metformin for so long that I canā€™t remember when I started.
Maybe it retards training a little bit. I didnā€™t notice. So, more muscle or longer life?

I recently added Jardiance ( empagliflozin), so now I take metformin, 500 mg, in the evening and 20 mg of empagliflozin in the morning. This may not be optimal, but it has certainly lowered my fasting glucose measurement. Maybe I should split the doses and take them together. i.e. 250 mg, metformin with 10 mg empagliflozin? Does anyone here take both?

8 Likes

Bothā€¦ I want strength and yearsā€¦ hahaha.

1 Like

I canā€™t speak for anyone else but Iā€™ve been taking 500 mg slow-release metformin for about 12 years now and 2mg/week Sirolimus but only for a couple of months.
Iā€™ve always been a gym-junkie and havenā€™t noticed any effect on strength, except an increase since Sirolimus. Iā€™ve never been much of a runner but still run about 6km twice a week but only in fine weather (LOL).
I have very low insulin level (2 IU/L) and fasting glucose is usually 4.3-4.5, so happy with that at age 65.

8 Likes

Dr Green (the Philly area MD who takes/prescribes Rapa, etc) had posted his personal labs and last I saw (few years back) , his fasting blood sugar was slowly creeping up over the years taking rapa + metforminā€”might have been worse without the metformin.

1 Like

???

Dr. Alan Green is in Little Neck, New York

Correct, my bad but that is the person I was talking about and his posted labs.

1 Like

I take 500mg of metformin and do power yoga 3x/week. I skip metformin 12 hrs prior to my workout. Iā€™m 52, 12% body fat, 6ā€™2ā€ 165lbs (my high school weight). I was stuck at 185 before starting metformin. Iā€™m sexy AF according to my wife Lol. I just started rapamycin 1mg/week and will up it weekly until I hit 5mg then get new blood work.
As far as other things I take, I follow David Sinclairs routine almost to a T.

6 Likes

Another geroscience scientist take on metformin.

On balance:

2 Likes