Rapamycin & Marijuana / Kratom

Hey Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone takes rapamycin that smokes Marijuana or is taking kratom or similar opiates? I am wondering if there are any drug interactions I should be aware of? I don’t smoke but my wife does and before getting her on Rapamycin I want to know if it would be ok!

Thanks!

We have a thread here you should read. Kratom is pretty new so we haven’t run into it here yet or discussed it, but I recommend you research it and post anything you find here for other people.

Read this thread and the links it provides: Rapamycin Interactions with Other Food, Drinks, Supplements and Drugs - #4 by RapAdmin

And I recommend you get up to speed on all the dosing and potential side effects so you are pre-aware: Rapamycin Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1 Like

And marijuana seems like it might age people faster:

Conclusions

These findings suggest cumulative and recent marijuana use are associated with age-related epigenetic changes that are related to lifespan. These observed associations may be modified by alcohol consumption. Given the increase in use and legalization, these findings provide novel insight on the effect of marijuana use on the aging process as captured through blood DNA methylation.

2 Likes

All the “marijuana use” research is contaminated by the huge prevalence of recreational users (already a huge risk group in itself) + most people smoking it and not taking it via edible/oral routes. Ppl who take it to get high/psychoactive effects are not the same who take cannabinoids at sub-psychoactive doses for relaxation/anti-inflammation.

3 Likes

I found this page helpful for checking interactions

https://reference.medscape.com/drug/rapamune-sirolimus-343206

For marijuana this is what comes up so I’d be cautious “marijuana will increase the level or effect of sirolimus by affecting hepatic/intestinal enzyme CYP3A4 metabolism. Contraindicated.”

4 Likes

Hope nobody is using Kratom. Just say no!

2 Likes

Kratom is an immunostimulant and shown to help with covid but other than that i don’t think they interact

2 Likes

Yeah Kratom is a legal Supplement where I live and I’ve read some really good things about it, especially like you said about helping with Covid etc

Typical scare piece with little substance. I seriously doubt it had anything to do with the majority of the deaths listed, it was just found in the toxicology report of the deceased. I don’t take kratom, but have friends who do and am familiar with its pharmacology.

Kratom is a weak opioid, which will interact with the same things opioids interact with and can cause dependence–weakly. Don’t combine it with alcohol, bzd’s, sedatives and powerful antihistamines. Don’t take extracts, which are much stronger than the plant and move past the “weak” moniker. As with any herbal supplement or medication, review what enzymes it impacts (CYP 450 enzymes, UDP/UGT enzymes and beta glucuronidase) on pubmed or examine.com to see if it is a safe combination.

For the original question in this thread, Rapamycin is likely unimpacted by kratom use, as it does not inhibit CYP3A4 in a meaningful way (source).

1 Like

I’ve been taking kratom daily for about the past week. Had my rapamycin last night and haven’t noticed anything different than usual.

1 Like

The study, funded by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), part of NIH, found that daily use of cannabis — predominately through smoking — was associated with a 25% increased likelihood of heart attack and a 42% increased likelihood of stroke when compared to non-use of the drug.

1 Like

I hardly ever use cannabis so not much of a personal concern to me, but I wonder if strictly oral cannabis use would find the same association.