Rapamycin: longevity benefits, surge in popularity, unanswered questions, and more

Here’s a nice summary of what’s known ( and not).

Is longevity determined by genetics?: MedlinePlus Genetics.

2 Likes

@Joseph_Lavelle @Krister_Kauppi
One of you guys should interview the researcher who is using marmosets and Rapamycin. It’d be great to have an early glimpse of the results! Matt Kaberlein talks about this study around 2:35

3 Likes

I’ve already interviewed David Salmon, I just haven’t had time to publish the audio from it. Its coming, thanks for reminding me. No major results to report yet, I think its going to be a few more years. Marmosets live a long time.

8 Likes

Was there any promising data from the marmosets?

1 Like

Funny you said that. I was thinking of adding him to the list of future guest but I would like to have the study published fully first because then I think we get the most value of the interview.

@RapAdmin interesting, are you setting up a podcast also? :pray:

2 Likes

@RapAdmin @Krister_Kauppi

What can I say? Great minds think alike. :wink:

1 Like

I listened to the audio of Attia’s podcast and your summary to me is spot on. So are your takeaways for consideration except for the last point. I need to up my knowledge of senescence vs autophagy perhaps.

1 Like

It was interesting that there was disagreement on the main action of rapamycin: autophagy vs inflammation. I suppose those could be related but clearly the best minds behind rapamycin don’t know exactly what is happening.

I think there is enough history of rapamycin at 5mg 1x per week to be on stable ground. That dosage may not be as high as possible but we know it is not too little to improve immune function in older people.

I’m willing to dabble with a bit higher dose because I’m 200 lbs but I’ll not mess with very high doses combined with longer cycles. Too many unknowns for me.

2026 is apparently when everyone will know more. And not before.

5 Likes

We are all just making our own best guesses. Anyone who thinks they have it figured out are fooling themselves. Who knows when we’ll get any kind of definitive answer.

4 Likes

Autophagy, senescence and inflammation are all closely interconnected. Senescent cells create a lot of inflammatory particles known as SASP. If you reduce senescent cell load, you naturally reduce inflammation. Autophagy prevents some cells from becoming senescent by repairing the cells so they can function normally. So, autophagy prevents senescence. Preventing senescence prevents inflammation.

7 Likes

That is a great summary on that subject @DeStrider

4 Likes

Oddly enough I think it is the IL-10 part of SASP that causes senescence. It is odd because in theory it is anti-inflammatory. However, what it does through the Janus Kinase is to inhibit NF kappa B. This then reduces the amount of citrate carrier which cuts cytosolic citrate, which reduces nuclear acetyl-CoA and then results in transcriptions failing (and/or producing aberrant splices). That causes a lot of senescence.

Those are 3 of the 12 hallmarks of aging. I agree they are related to each other and to the other drivers of aging.

1 Like

You can read an AI generated, clickable summary here:

https://www.summarize.tech/www.youtube.com/watch?v=O67pvKxio10

4 Likes

What is Dramamine for? TY

I think she may be thinking of this research: Meclizine / Dramamine II, Approx 15% Lifespan Increase, Another mTORC1 Inhibitor

What’s the dose Attia currently taking? Has he mentioned on IG or anywhere?
Thanks

He has said 6mg/ week - see this thread: Who in the Health and Longevity Field are Taking Rapamycin (part 2)

But - I’m sure it changes over time, like with most of us.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m so confused by the dosing… I never had side effects after many. months at 4g + grapefruit but have not noticed anything positive either. But my brother who has UC and other inflammatory issues breaks out in a horrible rash and has body aches at same dose… Should he try the higher dose as some suggest here? It seems like Rapa should be a good match for him to tamper chronic inflammation and modulate the immune system… looking for any way to help him. TY

That’s exactly what I was thinking of.

1 Like