How Do I Get Rapamycin for My Dog?

I wanted to ask , have you seen improvements in him? Just curious how your experience has been with him?
Also do you give him anything else such as fish oil, glucosamine, etc and do you do anything with him as well such as daily exercising, TRE window, etc
Thanks

Thanks, How has your dogs experience been? Have you noticed improvements at all and also do you do anything on top of rapamycin like fish oil, glucosamine, daily exercising, TRE window, etc

Hard to say, especially given the subjectivity and unblinded nature of my 1-dog “study”. Also, he’s only been on rapa for 5 weeks, so it’s very early. I give him daily fish oil, taurine and recently started a chewable PEA supplement. He has recent onset mild mitral valve leakage, so it will be interesting to see what his follow up echocardiogram will show in about 4 months from now (hopefully stabilized, trying not to get my hopes up too much that it’ll be reversed).

2 Likes

What is PEA? I do not think I have heard of that, also any reason for the Taurine?
I hope things get better for him!

There’s a recent thread about PEA on this forum by a biochemist with all kinds of good info. Taurine also has a multitude of potential health benefits for the heart, brain and other organs, and a deficiency is sometimes seen in dogs with cardiomyopathy. It’s also very safe and essentially non-toxic. I’d recommend the web site Pubmed to search for research articles on taurine.

Yes - see here for the thread on PEA.

1 Like

Okay so what would be the benefit of giving the PEA or OEA to your dog?

I think RapAdmin linked to brief discussion of OEA. There’s a much more comprehensive thread from about 2 weeks ago on PEA, but I don’t know how to link to it

Just search on the site (magnifying glass at top of page) on PEA and you’ll find it…

No I found it and read it already. I’m jUst curious why on reason to give it to your dog. Is there a specific ailment your trying to combat or is it just for general healthspan / longevity benefits .
Also any good places to buy it outside of the one mentioned in the link?

He’s got some mild arthritis, so I’m hoping it will help with that as well as provide some general anti-inflammatory benefits without conflicting with the rapamycin.

1 Like

I actually am looking into preventative for arthritis since I have a large dog.
Where do you get your supply ?

Dechra Redonyl Ultra Soft Chews…

On the recommended range for dogs it only goes up to 100lbs and 2 chews for them. So for my dog (140lbs) I would assume to do 3 chews? Also did your dog see any stomach issues from taking the chews?

Also where do you get your taurine for you and your dog?

No stomach issues, 3 daily sounds reasonable to me for 140lb dog fwiw, and I also get taurine from Amazon (Jarrow brand, 1,000mg per capsule)

Do you have any studies that show dosing for humans and dogs in regards to the taurine

I just give my dogs one capsule (1 gram) daily. Human studies generally use 2 or 3 grams/day. Check PubMed for specific studies.

Any reason for the Brand Jarrow instead of Pure encapsulations or thorne?

I trust Jarrow. They pretty much always pass tests for purity and lack of contaminants from ConsumerLab.com and their prices are way better than Pure Encapsulations or Thorne.

1 Like