Oleoylethanolamide (OEA) for longevity

Although it seems as if Palmitoylethanolamide (PEA), the endogenous fatty acid used in ultra/Micronized forms to fight numerous pathways of inflammation, increase synthesis of neurosteroids, extends the onset of tolerance for those who require chronic opioid therapy by nearly 50%, lowers cholesterol and triglyceride levels, while a potent immunomodulator (amongst a lot more) would be the PPAR-a agonist of choice in anyone’s regular anti-aging and pro-health routine.

Turns out though, although much less research, a similar endogenous fatty acid- oleoylethanolamide (OEA), administered exogenously- at this point it seems no micronization of OEA is necessary for a high bioavailability, might be worth using instead, or alternating between breaks of both (so we don’t hammer the PPAR-a receptor to oblivion).

For longevity purposes, several things stick out about OEA:

1. Although PPAR-a agonists in general are thought to help curb appetite (Fenofibrate and maybe PEA)- OEA is much more effective here. Yes, OEA increases the amount of the endogenous CB1r agonist Anandamide (AEA) by inhibiting its rate of metabolization, like PEA, OEA seems to also reduce the current of AEA when bound to the CB1 receptor. Reportedly, OEA gives the gut the feeling of “fullness” and in many studies has shown to be an agent against Insulin Resistance which would compliment Metformin well.
  2. Alcohol (Ethanol) discouraging effects. Not only is OEA reported to have potent anti-neuroinflammatory effects against pro-inflammatory cytokines released after drinking, Moreover, OEA, in my own personal experience as a big drinker who needs to cut down, I find when taking the tabs, I stop after 2 drinks as opposed to an infinite amount.
  3. While perhaps not as a broad-spectrum
    as PEA, OEA down regulated the usual suspects - TNF-a, IL-6, IL-12.
  4. OEA is also a potent agent for lowering cholesterol and triglycerides, perhaps matching or surpassing PEA.
    So much we have not found out about OEA yet, but unlike PEA, no Micronized / ultra-Micronized/ non-Micronized battles and I recommend Riduzone for convenience and consistency but the powders should work great.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23172180_Biological_Functions_and_Metabolism_of_Oleoylethanolamide

2 Likes

mouse and rat study:

a scientific overview focused on weight loss:

one source, including an overview of research:

2 Likes

So also reduces appetite?