Rapamycin and sleep

Welcome to the forum, Elea. It’s good to see that Rapamycin is providing you with positive effects! Here’s to your good health!!!

3 Likes

It might be. But in my case it’s completely unrelated. I started to take vitamin D many years ago and saw no improvement on sleep.

1 Like

Melatonin and Glycine 1 h before bed helps me much. I fall asleep almost immediately. If I wake up at night, I take another Glycine and fall back to sleep. Also sauna is worth trying.

2 Likes

Haven’t tried glycine yet.
I’ve tried Melatonin, doesn’t work at all for me. All I saw were side effects - The next day I’ll feel extremely tired.

2 Likes

Glycine is an amino acid that helps with sleep. It also clears methionine from your system and improves longevity. Just not as much as Rapamycin. However, it has no major side-effects other than helping you sleep (which is a good thing).

It’s a main component of both collagen and creatine.

5 Likes

Elea - "I decided to take rapamycin mainly because I wanted to avoid getting Alzheimer’s Disease. (because my grandma had AD and I’m super scared. "

It is purely speculative on my part, but I see evidence in the literature on rapamycin’s impact on sleep. Rapamycin affects the circadian pathways through inhibition of mTOR. A search in the PubMed database rapamycin circadian sleep - Search Results - PubMed gives a number of articles. You might be interested in particular on result #4. (Maiese K. Cognitive Impairment and Dementia: Gaining Insight through Circadian Clock Gene Pathways. Biomolecules. 2021)

1 Like

Rapamycin caused me sleep problems when I took it. Topically it made no difference to sleep. I looked this up and I think it is autophagy that impacts on circadian proteins.

The conditions are coming together for me to take rapamycin again, but I want to time it around a testing cycle and next week I have agreed to participate in a separate testing routine so I may not take Rapa again until mid December. I have not yet decided on the frequency that it would be good to take Rapamcyin at, but I am thinking of every 2-3 months. I may, however, increase the dose from 2mg possibly take grapefruit juice and have more of a medium term fast when I take it. (which will also cause sleep problems).

1 Like

I have a limited scientific understanding of autophagy, but I think you are correct about how rapamycin impacts circadian proteins (through autophagy) and perhaps other mechanisms). I have had similar sleep disturbance when intermittent fasting and also in a 5 day fast. My conjecture is that both rapamycin and fasting impacts autophagy, and for me sleep.

I started off with 3mg rapamycin in powder form about a year ago and found the sleep disturbance impact alarming enough to only use rapamycin very infrequently - every 5 or 6 weeks. In my case, I think age (67), and being in a northern clime (only 8 hours of winter daylight) may have impacted my circadian sleep pattern more than other folks on this forum who have not reported the same sleep disturbance.

I can now report that, through trial and error, I am now up to 7mg rapamycin dosage weekly and my sleep is not impacted when I take my dose in the morning. I am hopeful my overall sleep quality will improve in time as reported by others here.

Good luck.

1 Like

I’m a newbie. Just this week I took my first dose, 1mg in the morning with a high fat high protein meal.

I felt great that day and slept unusually hard that night. In fact I was unusually exhausted by 930, when I usually fall asleep between 1030 and 11.

Weirdly enough, on day two I could not fall asleep, which is also unusual for me. At 1130om I was still wired, almost as though I’d had afternoon caffeine although I had not. I finally lay down to sleep at 1145 and tossed and turned all night.

So two strange nights of sleep. Might be unrelated. We’ll see as the weeks go on and my dose increases, probably to 6mg.

Rapa enters blood in 1-2 hours, but 1/2 life is 50-60 hours, so grows in body, & depending on person then declines to nil in about 6-12 days.

At least 2 Rapa researchers take larger dose every 2 weeks. I assume they prob measure levels daily. I’ve only taken a few doses, but after I reach 5-6 mg weekly, I may switch to larger dose, every 2 weeks as well.

2 Likes