Rapamycin and sleep

Just curious, those of you taking rapamycin, have you noticed any impact on sleep?
I am a PhD student doing research on sleep and I am curious about rapamycin’s impact on sleep and maybe sleep disorders. I am thinking about doing this as a potential project in the future, but figured I would ask the people on the forum about their experiences.

Health Effects of Long-Term Rapamycin Treatment: The Impact on Mouse Health of Enteric Rapamycin Treatment from Four Months of Age throughout Life - PMC).

2 Likes

I have suffered with insomnia for over 20 years. At points it has been so bad that I was near suicidal. For the last 15 months I’ve been taking very low dose (7.5mg) Mirtazapine and sleep fairly consistently.

Rapamycin has a short term stimulant effect for me and I’m fairly confident now that it’s not placebo. I actually don’t need a coffee on ‘dosage days’. As advised on this forum, I take the Rapa in the morning and have seen no impact on sleep duration or architecture (measured via Oura).

1 Like

I had moved my dosing protocol from once a week to twice a month and would take 20 mg Rapa twice a month. The high spike in this dose kept me awake for 1-2 days after taking, but went away after that until next dose. I have decided to switch back to 10 mg once weekly and no problems.

3 Likes

Yes, it negatively affects my sleep. I only get 5 - 6 hrs of sleep after a Rapamycin dose of 10 mg or more. Its effects seem to taper off in about a week and then I get back to my more normal 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 hours of sleep. I must say I don’t feel any adverse effects of the shorter sleep period.

1 Like

I would assume this may be one of the reasons why rapamycin is causing these effects

2 Likes

I have found that rapamycin negatively impacts my sleep if I take it in the afternoon / evening, but more broadly while I’ve been taking it in the morning, I think it improves my sleep quality. But - I don’t have the data to back this up.

1 Like

I have heard mix data on improvement of sleep duration, reduced sleep fragmentation
But at the same time I have seen data that says otherwise. Did you notice a difference in terms of dosage?

I’ve slowly increased my dose from 3 or 4 mg 2 years ago, to 15mg to 20 mg every 10 days or so. Generally I think things have trended positively with dose. I think there may be an argument that rapamycin helps create a more youthful sleep phenotype. But - in my case, I had to stop using my sleep tracking Fitbit (actually the Amazon Halo Fitness band) because as I got higher in dose, I started to get recurring contact dermatitis rash under the band - so I’m no longer tracking my sleep or even wearing anything on my wrist. No more rash now!.

3 Likes

It will take me a little while to digest that article.

1 Like

Try tea tree oil for the contact dermatitis from wearing a sleep tracking wristband. It works.

1 Like

Tea tree oil has antibacterial properties and will prevent any infection on the skin.

1 Like

At a 6 mg dose once weekly for 3 months I’ve noticed no effect on sleep so far.

1 Like

How was your sleep before taking rapamycin?

Do you practice any sleep hygiene ?

How was your sleep before even taking rapamycin, and how was your sleep hygiene.

I slept well before I began Rapa. I sleep somewhat less now but at 72 i know that’s normal

4 Likes

Great question, and one that hopefully will be researched. For several years, I have had interrupted sleep, not being able to sleep deeply, continuously, throughout the night. I was hoping that, since sleep quality tends to decline with aging, Rapamycin would restore a more youthful sleep pattern. I have been taking 6mg Sirolimus once weekly, but it has only been one month. I have not noticed any changes in my quality of sleep. I will post an update if I experience any changes after 3 months.

3 Likes

Rapa definitely affected my sleep. I take 6mg early Friday mornings and am wired through half-life. My cardiologist also takes rapa (as do more than half the docs in his office) and he gave me an Ambien scrip… I break one in half for use on Fri and Sat nites and take a 2mg time-release melatonin for the next couple nites. I actually look forward to weekends sleep now.

4 Likes

Woah, Ambien? Rapamycin must really keep you up then lol.
Thanks

2 Likes

Perhaps TMI:

As I am an “elderly” person, ~81 yrs old, I have suffered from age-related sleep problems for the last 20 yrs. My main problem is not going to sleep but remaining asleep for 6 - 8 hours.

I have tried many “sleep stacks” and here are my subjective results of the ones I am currently using every day or periodically:

Melatonin is a must. Other supplements, OTCs, etc.:

Trazadone: 50 mg: Originally developed as an anti-depressant, but has proven to be more effective as a sleep aid. (If your physician won’t prescribe, you can also get these from many sources in India quite cheaply.) Trazadone has proven to be my most reliable “supplement” for staying asleep. It is generally considered safe for long-term use and is not addictive.

Kirkland Signature Sleep Aid Doxylamine Succinate 25 Mg. I only use this when I am overstimulated and have trouble going to sleep. This is not a good supplement for regular use, especially for older people. (Of course, older people are its main users. LOL)

Tryptophan: helps with staying asleep, plus has some antidepressant effects and is also a weak NAD+ precursor.

Glycine: Sleep aid, plus longevity effects.

I have also tried Ambien and love it. It provides me with a “clean” night’s sleep with no morning after effects. Unfortunately, it is not good or safe for long-term use.

TRAZADONE:
Trazodone for Insomnia: A Systematic Review:
“This review article has found that trazodone can be an effective option when treating insomnia with little to no risk in most cases”
Treatment of insomnia – effect of trazodone
and hypnotics on sleep:
“It should be noted that low doses of trazodone
(50 mg) do not increase, but rather decrease, daytime sleepiness and have no negative
effect on the ability to drive vehicles.”
“A special feature of trazodone, mianserin, and mirtazapine is their ability to
increase the amount of deep sleep.”
http://www.psychiatriapolska.pl/uploads/images/PP_4_2021/ENGver743Wichniak_PsychiatrPol2021v55i4.pdf

The effects of trazodone on human cognition: a systematic review"
Overall, seven studies showed no effect of trazodone on cognition, five showed a beneficial effect by improving or reducing cognitive decline, and four evidenced impaired cognitive function. Our analysis highlights the possibility of a dose-independent dual effect of trazodone on human cognition.

Effects of Trazodone on Sleep Quality and Cognitive Function in Arteriosclerotic Cerebral Small Vessel Disease Comorbid With Chronic Insomnia

7 Likes