Rapamycin and risk of cardiovascular disease

Nah. I don’t have anything against rosuvastatin, that is the one my daughter takes.
I take atorvastatin plus ezetimibe and see no reason to change based on the studies.

“According to subgroup analysis of the 11 included studies (Fig. ​(Fig.2),2), the combination of ezetimibe and atorvastatin (10 mg) (Sakamoto K 2017, Sakamoto K 2015, Matsue Y 2013, Okada K 2012) [MD = -16.98 mg/dL, p < 0 .0001] or simvastatin (20 mg) (Le NA 2015, Averna M 2010) [MD = -17.35 mg/dL, p < 0 .0001] also showed stronger ability of reducing LDL-C, while the combination of ezetimibe and rosuvastatin (10 mg2018,) Ran D 2017, Farnier M 2016, Saeedi R 2015) [MD = -9.29 mg/dL, p = 0.05] showed less relevant.”

1 Like

50+ DAY UPDATE

Heart disease
ApoB 74 mg/dl → 39 mg/dl -48% :green_circle:
CRP 0.4 mg/L → 0.26 mg/L -35% :green_circle:

Alzheimer’s
ApoA1 105 mg/dl → 101 mg/dl -4% :white_circle:

Liver
ALAT 0.75 μkat/L → 0.51 μkat/L -32% :white_circle:
ALP 1.8 μkat/L → 1.8 μkat/L ±0% :white_circle:
ASAT 0.45 μkat/L → 0.31 μkat/L -32% :white_circle:

Muscle
CK 0.84 μkat/L → 0.80 μkat/L -5% :white_circle:

I did try eating healthier as well, more Mediterranean. Surprising decrease in apoB. I did not have such good level before using 5 mg rosuvastatin. But then I was making my own capsules and grinding larger tablets and I wasn’t focusing more on healthier stuff. Liver markers improved or stayed the same.

Probably placeboooo :wink:

“You underestimate the power of faith.” - Princess Irulan

8 Likes

I don’t really know where to put this video. It is a talk about metabolic disorder being the root of all evil, so it covers much of what we talk about here, not just heart disease:

2 Likes

I gave up listening to this part way through. I am not a massive fan of Ozempic although I can see why people use it.

1 Like

Given the source (Tucker Carlson), I’d say put it in the trash where it belongs :grin:

5 Likes

I got back my HbA1c result and it was at 26 mmol/mol (4.5%) which is below the reference range of 27-42 mmol/mol. I forgot to test it before. I have implanted a CGM now. I lost a few pounds as well I guess.

I’m going to test 10 mg atorvastatin with 5 mg ezetimibe now, it would be nice with something more effective but I’ll wait.

Atorvastatin because lower diabetes risk in RCT compared to rosuvastatin, and lower risk of an eye disease iirc. I don’t think there is any difference between the statins for passing the BBB anymore so might as well try this one.

It’s not impossible I’ll increase to 20 mg atorvastatin and 10 mg ezetimibe and stay there, even though doubling the dose gives only a few percent increase, I take what I get. But I don’t like the desmosterol associations so I’ll maybe just stick with this.

Congrats. I know you care a lot about this (and I think we all should).

And also good re HbA1c. The set point / “life of RBCs” can vary between people - so would triangulate against the CGMs glucose AUC (and other metrics).

Did you also do insulin?

Or perhaps Americans eat too much of everything and don’t move nearly enough. Asia is carb-county and the people there are lean (bmi < 20) despite what conspiracy theorists want you to believe.

2 Likes

That is exactly what was said in the video.

I guess the guy was going a little further by saying the way food is pulverized and ultra processed then marketed in this country is the cause of the problem, but the medical community tries to solve it with a pill. In this case an injection weekly for life. And they are claiming bad side effects, also unknown side effects long term. This is a bad strategy for a healthy life especially if you start young.

I thought it was newsworthy.

2 Likes

Do you mean fasting insulin? No, but I can make sure to test it. Glucose as well? What else?

I am testing moderate intensity statin (20 mg atorvastatin) next.

I am testing 10 mg rosuvastatin + 10 mg ezetimibe next.

Yes you need both to calculate your HOMA-IR and se the impact on insulin sensitivity.

1 Like

There are more than a dozen, probably less than 25 of studies that have used statins, have had a primary outcome of ASCVD but a secondary outcome of Dementia or Alzheimer’s disease. And I looked at every single one of those, and I can tell you that every single one of those found neutral or benefit of statin use on incidence of dementia and the incidence of Alzheimer’s disease so that includes vascular dementia. There was no difference between hydrophobic and hydrophilic statins to these outcomes.

1 Like

As Peter Attia said “Food is overrated”

Gluttony is IMO the root cause of metabolic disorders.

Most Asians do not practice gluttony.

Thomas Aquinas in the 13th century. Along with gluttony, the deadly sins include pride, lust, envy, wrath, greed, and sloth.
He is right in this assessment.

1 Like

Well, I think it may have to do quality of food also. First thing I noticed when i traveled to Milan Italy was how petite/small people were. you could literally walk miles and couldn’t find a fat person. What surprised me most I went to a family dinner party, and they ate like pigs, everything that was served. I’d say I was the one that ate least yet I weigh at least as much of two of them together LOL. I think there is literally tens, if not hundreds of substances/chemicals that are banned in Europe but allowed in America. They wreak havoc within our bodies.

2 Likes

In Europe we walk miles :sweat_smile: Joke aside, we do walk, take bikes to work etc. We don’t eat like pigs every day, just on special occasions. I lived in Milan for a while and typical breakfast in Milan is cappuccino and cornetto (croissant), lunch a small plate of pasta, maybe just a small antipasti, like a bite or two and a nice dinner, mostly without desert and a glass of wine. No snacking in between. Few times a week you would meet friends for an afternoon drink, just one glass and few potato chips or a small bite of something. It is not just quality (which I agree is much better) but also quantity. Me personally try to follow some CR, but really it funny when I am on holidays and let my self loose I rarely eat more than my maintenance calories in Europe or Asia. But when I go to US that is completely different story. Once I went for a breakfast, I ordered some stewed fruit with greek yogurt and granola and cappuccino (sounded most healthy) and shockingly just that breakfast was almost 2000 calories.

5 Likes

oh, I forgot the other thing that caught me by surprise, there were no junk/fast food places. And I was also surprised how obnoxious/loud their woman were (to be fair this one I knew from my past experiences lol).

1 Like

I’m a very moderate drinker but I really (like a lot of Europeans) consider a glass of wine to be an indispensable part of dinner. But ever since I’ve been on this forum and constantly read how any alcohol ruins the quality of your sleep whether you know it or not, I’m staring to reconsider. I’ve always slept like a baby for the full 8 hours but now I need to get some kind of sleep monitor because my sleep has become more troubled because of the guilt about that glass of wine.

1 Like

I think you got that the opposite way. A glass of wine will definitely help you sleep better. But what you have read on these forums is the fact that there seems to be some agreement (among the longevity crowd docs) that any consumption of alcohol is not good for longevity.

1 Like

That was my gut feeling - the wine made me sleep better (relaxing) but now that we can measure everything, the sleep monitor people will definitely tell you different. Look around on here and show me one person who says their sleep score on their app was better after alcohol.

2 Likes

Every sleep expert I’ve ever listened to has said that subjectively, you may think you sleep better, but in reality the quality of sleep is impaired by alcohol.

1 Like