Rapamycin and Exercise: any Muscle inhibition?

definitely planned on doing that, is there anything else I should try to track during this period of rapamycin use or anything else in general?

Interesting question - yes, I think there are things that you may want to watch more closely if you’re implementing rapaycin at a younger age. It seems likely to be more difficult to track positive impacts because your body is functioning much better than people who are, say 50 years +.

I don’t think anyone has done this before - but given your science focus, PHD pursuit, etc. - you’d be in a great position to do this, if you can afford it (the rub, of course, is that testing costs $).

For example - it would be really interesting to track your visceral fat levels via DEXA scan. Unlike in most people - over the next decade you should not see a significant increase increase in visceral fat if you are taking rapamycin.

Similarly, muscle and grip strength should not decrease, etc.

Perhaps review this document (The case for taking rapamycin when younger) and related research and try to help us develop a tracking methodology for younger people using rapamycin that other people can refer to. Given your science-background you would be a great person to draft something like this.

Are you at a university that has a exercise physiology lab? That would be a great place to start - get all your baseline data - VO2Max, visceral fat, etc…

And then other physiology markers - hearing, eyesight, sperm motility (perhaps they will tell you if you donate), etc.

Another idea is to volunteer for some medical clinical trials that measure biomarkers that might be of interest - you could be in the control group. For example there is a lot of research that suggests that Rapamycin use improves heart function as measured by ejection fraction. There are clinical trials that measure this. I’ve actually contacted some researchers from clinical trials listed on clinical trials.gov to participate in these types of research efforts, just so I can get these measurements done.

Perhaps other people have some ideas they can contribute… biomarkers to track when starting rapamycin when you are younger…

2 Likes

Interesting twitter post by Blagosklonny today:

5 Likes

I am at a school of medicine actually. Luckily there are places where I live(atlanta) that offer the DEXA scan, VO2Max and metabolic resting rate.
Plans & Pricing – Dexa Body
I definitely will look into the volunteering of clinical trials to get other markers measured.
I think one of the hard parts of tracking this will be other lifestyle changes such as diet changes, different exercise routines, other supplements that may impact my overall health span and biomarkers. I was thinking of just stopping everything I do in terms of supplementation and just try rapamycin for a couple months and then go back to get my blood work done to see if there is any noticeable improvements.

When I am going about the pulsing of rapamycin, how high should I try to work up to in my 3 months rapa period? and would it be better to start at 1mg/week and then end at 4-5 mg/week the last month or should I just start at a moderate dose.

I would like to know why Dr. Blagosklonny believes that 25 is the magic number. Also I what his regimen would be for a 25 year old on rapamycin. On top of that , The only thing I am worried about is effects on reproductive function as I plan on having kids in the next 5 years so I do not want to impact my ability to do so.

I think that he’s just going by the animal studies - the best lifespan improvements have been achieved in early adult age mice and high (highest) doses of rapamycin.

The risk of negative reproduction effects seem low to me (given that organ transplant recipients have been using rapamycin for decades while also having children) - but it would be wise to try to track this in your own case. If I were you, I’d read all the studies related to this - and see if there are some good tests that you can take that would help you track your fertility and identify any impacts. Most of us here have already had children - so are much less concerned about this possible issue.

It would be great if you could do some research on this and identify possible tests that could be done (I wonder if places that take sperm donor submissions do any sperm motility tests, etc. - that may be valuable in identifying any possible negative effects of rapamycin. Perhaps do the testing while taking rapamycin, and also during the pauses … to see (as we would expect) if any negative impact then reverses when you pause rapamycin.

See this page for added info.,

For example - this company in Atlanta accepts sperm donations and does the following tests:

1. Each candidate provides a semen sample for analysis.
    We assess sperm count, volume, motility, and additional factors to determine the quality of the donation.

Perhaps get this done regularly while taking rapamycin to see if there is any impact?

I will check it out
Also I asked earlier but just wanted to ask again to get thoughts on how I should dose my period

Personally, I liked how starting at 1mg / week, and then slowly increasing by 1mg per week until I got up to 5mg… then stayed their for a month, then increased to 6mg.

I hear some people report negative side effects and it seems to correlate a bit to ramping up faster. This is just all anecdotal of course. We don’t have good data really on this area.

2 Likes

SO I am thinking of participating in this study to get biomarkers done but also to see how my body responds to challenges.
Would be interested to see if rapamycin impacts any of these responses
Also in terms of rapamycin taking, should I wait until I am in a cardiovascular block of training to take it, or is it okay to take when I am in a muscle building phase?

1 Like

Yes - I love clinical trials like these were we can get extensive test information on our body - great find!

Regarding exercise cardio / vs. muscle and rapamycin - the research is unclear. Here is what one of the top rapamycin researchers had to say on the general topic (not specifically to your question but close):

1 Like

Another thing I need to figure out is how long I want to be on rapamycin before being off of it since I just am curious in the event it improves my biomarkers, how long those effects last. I also need to reach the rapamycin dosage that most see benefits without any side effects.

Yes - those issues are what we all face - and even harder I think for you because at your age everything is functioning extremely well (I would hope ;-). I think regular blood tests (monthly or very few months) would help you get a good handle on these issues.

Another cool thing about the trial is that they are doing a DEXA scan before hand and will give me the results that day. The unfortunate part is that the blood biomarkers wont be viewable until the study is published.

1 Like

I am with Blagosklonny on this. I have NO IDEA if Rapamycin will extend my healthspan/lifespan, but I’m not soley banking on it. The only proven lifestyle intervention that categorically increases human lifespan is cardiorespiratory fitness. Being in the very highest percentile of V02 max easily adds 5-7 yrs to lifespan. I do daily intense cardio/resistance training 7 days/week, including Rapamycin dosing days. I have not noticed any impact on my exercise during/post. Being super fit, lean (adipose tissue is inflammatory), muscular, with superior cardio respiratory fitness is my #1 lifestyle intervention. Rapamycin, strict keto (plant fat based), one meal day time restricted feeding, exogenous testosterone, basket of supplements, every 8 week phlebotomy (Iron dumping, huge longevity basket opportunity IMHO) these are all add-ons. Having elevated ketones area under the curve (inversely lowest glucose/insulin) is its own huge longevity signal…ancestrally preserved (a thread unto itself). I have never looked or felt better in my life (57 yo male).

8 Likes

Rapamycin protects aging muscle - PMC Rapamycin preserves aging muscle.

1 Like

So I just did my blood work, and I was wondering
I have high Cholesterol , LDL and non HDL cholesterol,
Do you have any advice on lowering these values? and does rapamycin help with them?

No - if anything Rapamycin may make those numbers worse.

Probably best to first work on lowering those cholesterol numbers via diet, or talk with your doctor about statins, PKS9 inhibitors.

Any specific statins or PKS9 inhibitors I should talk about?

My understanding is that atorvastatin is the best statin out there - and I’ve taken it in the past, and may again in the near future - but I’m not a medical professional, so take that with a grain of salt.

I’m new to PKS9 inhibitors - still doing research, can’t help you on those.

1 Like