Rapamycin and Exercise: any Muscle inhibition?

I am with Blagosklonny on this. I have NO IDEA if Rapamycin will extend my healthspan/lifespan, but I’m not soley banking on it. The only proven lifestyle intervention that categorically increases human lifespan is cardiorespiratory fitness. Being in the very highest percentile of V02 max easily adds 5-7 yrs to lifespan. I do daily intense cardio/resistance training 7 days/week, including Rapamycin dosing days. I have not noticed any impact on my exercise during/post. Being super fit, lean (adipose tissue is inflammatory), muscular, with superior cardio respiratory fitness is my #1 lifestyle intervention. Rapamycin, strict keto (plant fat based), one meal day time restricted feeding, exogenous testosterone, basket of supplements, every 8 week phlebotomy (Iron dumping, huge longevity basket opportunity IMHO) these are all add-ons. Having elevated ketones area under the curve (inversely lowest glucose/insulin) is its own huge longevity signal…ancestrally preserved (a thread unto itself). I have never looked or felt better in my life (57 yo male).

8 Likes

Rapamycin protects aging muscle - PMC Rapamycin preserves aging muscle.

1 Like

So I just did my blood work, and I was wondering
I have high Cholesterol , LDL and non HDL cholesterol,
Do you have any advice on lowering these values? and does rapamycin help with them?

No - if anything Rapamycin may make those numbers worse.

Probably best to first work on lowering those cholesterol numbers via diet, or talk with your doctor about statins, PKS9 inhibitors.

Any specific statins or PKS9 inhibitors I should talk about?

My understanding is that atorvastatin is the best statin out there - and I’ve taken it in the past, and may again in the near future - but I’m not a medical professional, so take that with a grain of salt.

I’m new to PKS9 inhibitors - still doing research, can’t help you on those.

1 Like

Okay, is there any other advice you would have for lowering these levels. I mean they were really high , which is weird because I eat relatively healthy and fast/exercise a lot.
Any good diet recommendations or anything else I should try to look into?

You could also consider Ezetimibe, I take 10 mg rosuvastatine / 10 mg ezetimibe 2 times per week and my total cholesterol dropped with 40%. This is good info;

4 Likes

Ah, funny you posted this as I was going to listen to this series today.
Thanks,

have you had any side effects from them?

1 Like

How does rapamycin impact those values at low to moderate doses? I noticed a lot of the literature showed some increase at high doses. Have you had your values tested before when you were on low doses?
I found this article which was interesting

1 Like

no sides, I spread the dosing and don’t take it 2 days in a row so I don’t lower CoQ10 too much

1 Like

Did you do any other changes, such as diet or exercise or supplements. Right now I am in a muscle building block, but have neglected my zone 2 cardio training, so I am wondering if I should start to incorporate it back into my program ? Maybe do zone 2 three times a week, before I lift?
Just curious if you had any other changes that could’ve increased the reduction you saw

I tried more cardio for half a year, only 5% reduction. I then got my Lp(a) checked and this was to high, so I started with the statin / ezetimibe combo as a precaution. My dad died from a cardiovascular event when he was only 58

Thanks, Im sorry to hear about your dad.
I need to get my Lp(a) and ApoB checked probably as my doctor just did standard lipid panel.

If Rapamycin slows or reverses aging then the increase of LDL levels may be telling us something. I have noticed an increase in thinking that LDL and HDL levels that were previously thought to be healthy may be wrong. The “sweet spot” may actually be between 130–159mg/dL:

“However, many studies have found the opposite result to previous studies on cardiovascular diseases, and LDL-C level is negatively correlated with all-cause mortality of patients10,11.”
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-01738-w

Also, note that Morgan E. Levine’s biological epigenetic age calculator does not include LDL or HDL measurements.
https://www.aginginterventionfoundation.org/DNAmPhenoAge_gen_Enhanced.xlsx

These are just a few of the many articles/studies that I have found. I have personally chosen to seek the sweet spots of LDL and HDL levels. My LDL was getting much too low in my opinion and I have decided not to continue with atorvastatin.

1 Like

Thanks, I read peter attia’s blog of the straight Dope on cholesterol
and found it very imformative. I will check out the article you sent me. Thanks again
My LDL levels were 167 mg/dl
My HDL levels were 56
My triglycerides were 80
My Non HDL were 183
My total Cholesterol was 239

I also got a CAC (coronary calcium) scan done and they found no deposits. That reassured me a lot

2 Likes

If you exercise regularly and your BMI is 25 or less I personally wouldn’t worry too much about my cholesterol levels.

1 Like

I do exercise frequently and not sure about my BMI is 18.5-24.9 range since I am 5’11 and 175 lbs(though I do not find this a very accurate measure for most people, since if I was an inch shorter I would be considered overeweight) , all my other blood work is normal as well, so no insulin resistance or issues with metabolic disease.

2 Likes

None of my cardiologists over the years have recommended this test and my insurance does not want to pay for it. Does anyone know why this is?