Optimizing the Dosing Schedule of Rapamycin / Everolimus to Minimize Side Effect Risks - New Spreadsheet

As a non-expert, my current bet is to extend the time period so as to provide a greater washout while also permitting a greater dose. That’s what most of the researchers seem to be doing – i.e. a 2 week schedule. I’ve decided to delay the next dose until the level falls below 0.25 or 0.5 ml, using reasonably conservative assumptions. I have no idea if that’s best but it seems to me to be safer than a weekly strategy, even if only at 6 mg. Using that metric, I plan to slowly increase my dose until side-effects or I reach what Dr Blagosklonny is doing.

3 Likes

Peter Attia is doing 6mg/week and is no longer cycling off of it, per his most recent podcast with Matt Kaeberlein. I’m not convinced washouts/cycling are necessary, given that they don’t do it in the animal studies and we’re basing the life extension benefits on those same studies. I am however going to carefully monitor my lipids, HbA1c and white blood cells.

2 Likes

Definitely a valid approach. I find it interesting that the 6/1 wk strategy is so different than the 12/2 wk one. And arguments on both sides. I didn’t think of this at the time I met Dr Green. He prescribes the 6/1 regimen but he himself changed to a 12/2 a while ago & is now doing a 20/2. As is Blagosklonny. I’m new to this & am not at all tied to a particular strategy.

1 Like

Me either! I’ll definitely change it up in a heartbeat if new data comes out and/or my blood counts decrease, etc.

2 Likes

I have a question regarding dosing. Like many people, I use the Blagosklonny dictum of maximum dosage without side effects. However, I dont know how much of a side effect should be considered. I’ve seen side effects that are so subtle as to be unnoticed unless I am diligently looking for them. Like maybe is that a chancre sore? but if it was, its gone the next day, or like feeling great an hour after ingestion but discover I am unable to do my usual cardio, which otherwise wouldnt have been noticed. My guess is that others are like me and continue to escalate dosage provided the side effects are minimal. I wouldnt exceed what Dr Green and Blagosklonny practice, but I’m wondering how others apply the rule.

2 Likes

Yes - for me I am slowly increasing and keeping a diligent watch on blood testing results. As far as what are the side effects I’d be concerned about… I’m fine as long as they aren’t side effects that are negatively impacting my blood work in a significant way, or that impact my life in a significant way. The worse side effect I’ve gotten is a 1 square inch rash under my Fitbit. It happens consistently and would probably not happen at all if I didn’t wear my Fitbit (the rash moves to whichever wrist I’m wearing the Fitbit on) - under the wrist strap. But its not a big deal - so I am still slowly increasing my dosing. Right now I’m at 12mg per week - and may move over to 20mg to 24mg per two weeks as I’ve been at before xmas and my covid Booster shot.

In comparison Acarbose has caused major side effect of “gas/flatulence” that is really hard to tolerate if anyone else is in the house with you… The side effects of rapamycin have been minimal, and similarly with Empagliflozin now (10mg) - I’ve seen no noticeable side effects.

2 Likes

I find that with acarbose if the meal has a good mix of protein and or fat, then the side effects are not bad, but if I use it let me eat a full plate of cake it’s a different story…

I would compare it to eating a lot of fiber as part of a balanced meal, vs mainlining pure fiber.

Acarbose inhibits the enzyme that breaks down carbs into glucose. So it basically turns your carbs into insoluble fiber.

Does dr green tell people to take their rapa with a fat source? That does seem to increase absorption rates (though not like grapefruit juice)

1 Like

FYI
Matt kaeberlin just posted this on Twitter

My take: Rapamycin is a specific, clean mTOR inhibitor. Metformin is a dirty drug that tweaks the mTOR network indirectly, but hard to predict effects on mTOR or relevance of those effects in vivo. Resveratrol even dirtier, not an effective mTOR inhibitor at any reasonable dose

3 Likes

I am surprised that Resveratrol is a dirty compound as I have been taking it in powder form combined with NMN after reading of its anti aging benefits ?