NMN/NR worth taking for longevity?

It reads like sarcasm. Maybe it is just an ironic post :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Makes sense to me.
Niacin might boost NAD levels but causes a flush reaction, hence it is an active placebo with an effect…so your placebo effect might be stronger.

3 Likes

Bingo! Exactly what I was saying.

3 Likes

Here’s the very down to earth Matt K, making your point. Pretty persuasive.

5 Likes

Rapamycin Update What You Need To Know

Our favorite cautious rapa researcher conducted a review of off label rapamycin users, meaning us, and has some not awful observations about how we’re doing. :heart:

1 Like

The full series of rapamycin updates: Rapamycin Update - What You Need To Know (Modern Healthspan)

1 Like

As seen from my earlier posts, I was on the fence but had purchased Lipo NAD Complete from Renue (NMN, NAD, NR) and thought, well I have it, it’s not cheap so I’ll give it a go. WOW from the start I felt great, more energy, feeling of well-being, better sleep, easier work out. Took it with TMG.

3 Likes

Re: the Covid findings in the off label use, I got Covid on vacation in July and thought I had caught a bad cold from going in/out of freezing air conditioned rooms. Turned out it was Covid, recovered quickly and completely, while on 3mg rapa generic w/ grapefruit booster.

2 Likes

Well the latest Matt Kaeberlein talk on Jan 4 may have ended my NMN (and NAD boosting) experiment. He said that he just read an unpublished paper that NMN causes kidney damage in old mice. So if you’re 60 or over and supplementing with NMN, you could be putting your kidneys at risk. (No idea what the dosages were.)

Of course we’ll learn more when the study is published.

If you’re young, then NAD boosters should be fine. But who needs the boost when you’re young? Maybe it’ll be an under 55 supplement for us young folk?

2 Likes

Did he mention how quickly onset - might be something that regular batteries of kidney function blood tests (that are good for people who supplement with multiple things to do regularly anyway) can pick up in ample time?

1 Like

No. He was asked the question about how safe NMN is. He said a 2 out of 5, but then he said probably higher due to the kidney disease factor in older mice.

1 Like

Why not just take nicotinamide? Many benefits have been promised: NAD boost, skin health, AGEs defense (Glylo ingredient), lower LDL. Are all B3 variations implicated?

2 Likes

It may be that all NAD boosters have the same problem. But I think the specific one tested was NMN

1 Like

Is that the same as Nicotinamide Riboside

I remember that Bryan Johnson did a comparison between both and they each increased his NAD levels in a similar way when measured in his blood.

His website says he takes the NR linked above - but do we know if that is up to date, especially if he has chosen NR instead of NMN?

@AnUser - do you know?

No. Nicatinamide is a form of B3 that is very inexpensive. It does not cause flushing like nicotinic acid. Both are called niacin accord to the article below but I usually see nicotinic acid labeled as niacin.

5 Likes

New study finds that NMN exerts anti-atherosclerotic effects in mice fed a high-fat diet. 36% reduction of atherosclerotic plaque.

4 Likes

David Sinclair reports that NMN extends lifespan of mice, not yet published. See time index 23:55:

4 Likes

NR failed the ITP, why would NMN work?

https://academic.oup.com/innovateage/article/7/Supplement_1/1077/7490297

Increase in median lifespan in females. No mention of maximal lifespan…

NMN treatment delayed the onset of frailty in both sexes, improved metabolic health in male mice, and increased median lifespan by 8.5% in female mice.

5 Likes

So it was published. The lack of male life extension is disappointing. Its anti-atherosclerotic effects (see above) may still make it a potential life-extending compound in men since mice are less susceptible to heart disease. And probably good for healthspan assuming it doesn’t increase cancer risk.

3 Likes