New Year Resolutions for Longevity?

Low Dose Naltrexone will make wine taste off. It won’t stop you from having a glass of wine with friends, but you will be less likely to have a second glass.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t dare make resolutions since I’m sure they won’t last longer than couple days lol. However, I’ll try to stick to what I know works best for my health. I am normally good at about 60% of the time. I’d love to be over 80% of time. The beauty of it though is the fact that I know exactly what works for me, and know exactly what I need to do. I’m not in a rush to try new things. Thanks to some/many on these boards I’ve been able to get rid of couple concerns I had, ie muscle spasms via carnosine and/beta alanine, been able to reverse/naturally color my grey hair via GR7. Gotten rid of all the pains and tiredness mainly with the above mentioned plus white willow bark. Also, found out that if I need a mood lifting Mucuna puriens is God sent, though I wish it has way less effect because it tends to keep me going for couple days (with two pills) like energizer bunny lol and usually affects my sleep (negatively).

I can literally say I feel better than probably ever healthwise even though I’ve been relatively healthy all my life.

5 Likes

Not sure what form of beta cyclodextrin you are utilizing, but you may want to consider a potential trade-off:

4 Likes

Well… I’ve considered this approach:

But after much internal debate, my longevity resolution is:

1. Exercise… a lot more. Work up to 1 hour a day in the first six months, then two hours a day by end of year. The goal is a V02 Max above 50. I think that for me, this is the most important area I can make progress towards.

2. Test - Monthly blood work to track biomarkers. No major changes planed in my drug/supplement regimen, just slow and steady measurement and adjustment.

And, I have an idea for someone else’s New Year Longevity resolutions… :wink:

What we need is someone with @ConquerAging (Mike Lustgarten)'s rigorous and scientific approach to longevity, but focused entirely on purported, or prospective longevity drugs, and the measurement of the outcomes with each modification. I would love to read a personal and scientific journey of that person. Maybe Mike has a friend in the pharmacology department of his university who would team up with him!

7 Likes

Intuitively I think zone 2 wattage is better than V02 Max as a predictor of longevity. What do we use v02 max for anyway?

Yeh, perhaps. I just use the Vo2 Metric as its well documented and measurable (and I don’t have a watt meter, and don’t necessarily bike as much as I’d like ). Exercise, VO2 max, and longevity | Mike Joyner, M.D

And while I use VO2 Max as short hand for zone 2 training, etc. I’m really talking about a variety of exercise - from weight training, to HIIT, to yoga, etc. that I want to pursue with more dedication this year.

3 Likes

In michael greger’s book he apparently found no connection of exercise with longevity and that the field has mixed results.

Zone 2 training is a very narrow and specific focus at improving mitochondrial density and function, training at a very specific output.

2 Likes

I have the book but have not yet read it. My concern is not just longevity, but also lifestyle and functionality. I want to be rock climbing, whitewater kayaking, cycling, skiing, and mountaineering in my 90s…with my kids and grandkids. I don’t want to be sitting on a couch all day. You can probably live to the same age with both approaches, but one is more optimal for me.

8 Likes

I will have to think about it more. At least zone 2 training improves mitochondrial function while the others seem kind of vague in what they do. What I question is whether really good mitochondria will be enough for all of those activities, except those that require muscle strength.

Interesting! At first thought seems inaccurate but when you think of it in over 110 year old crowd I have not encountered one to say that they exercised regularly. Most did however mentioned walks and garden work/staying active. some mentioned glass of whisky per day, plus NOT overeating.

Also, if you look at body builders in old age they seem to age horribly LOL
So no plan to exercise heavily though I must continue 3-4 week heavy weights (very short intervals), and MUST pick up yoga training, one of most important activities for old age.

3 Likes

Thanks for the paper I hadn’t seen. I know the polymerized form is much less likely to cause this problem, but apparently it still does. Using Cavidex it is pretty much impossible to get more than a couple grams per dose and it doesn’t hit very quickly. It has to be absorbed before it’s digested by the resident bacteria. It’s also not a miracle, but I still think this chemistry is the best thing out there.

I’ve got a 7 hour drive today, I’ll read it when I get home.

1 Like

@RapAdmin you’ve got me thinking about non-blood biomarkers, such as

BP, waking HRV, sleeping breath rate, hang time (from a bar), low HR during sleep, weight, etc…things I can and do measure with almost no hassle (so I can do them daily / weekly).

As opposed to Dexa scan, vo2max, blood/ urine/ microbiome fecal test, etc which are a pain to arrange and/or pay for (so I’d be willing to do less often).

What are the best easy to track but meaningful biometrics? And source of targets? Has that list already been created?

1 Like

There are things like the high frequency hearing test which are easy to do (there are online versions) that feed into the overall picture.

1 Like

There is no compelling evidence that exercise increases longevity, but there is plenty of evidence that it extends health span.
I exercise to maintain as much muscle mass as possible. I don’t want to be high on the frailty index.

6 Likes

I am not arguing your point. But can you show some evidence that is true based on research?

Yes, improved muscle mass and adequate conditioning are all very important for healthspan. That should be the goal.

1 Like

In a sense aging is about a failure of function. Hence any functional test is a guide to the effects of aging.

As far as I am concerned that is a logical conclusion and I don’t need to search for research into correlation.

2 Likes

Resolutions:

1:) Get my first Dexa and VO2 max scans/readouts

2:) Eliminate fake meat (Beyond, Impossible, etc), add 4 oz of clean meat(wild salmon, anchovies, bison,etc) 1x2 times a week

3:) Go to WAR with arthritis: heal gut, remove soy/corn from diet, watch stress (meditate consistently), yoga!

6 Likes

In other words: It is just your opinion. Of course, our hearing of high frequencies as well as low frequencies drops off as we age. There is no compelling evidence that it predicts lifespan, otherwise all deaf people would be dead.

2 Likes

Declining hearing ability certainly affects healthspan, as my wife would attest. Plus I’ve heard that poor hearing (without aids) leads to declining cognitive function. But I’d bet that poor hearing is a safety risk (longevity) as well.

My question is: is there any we can do about the decline besides not going to rock concerts?

3 Likes