New Year Resolutions for Longevity?

Happy New Year. As we enter the new year it is customary to make resolutions. What are yours?

My resolutions are not entirely new but I am committing to full & complete implementation. Here are my Longevity resolutions:

(1) Be patient. This is the underlying promise to myself that includes: No silver bullet thinking. No making multiple changes at the same time in the hope that something will help. Stick with my 10 supplemental chemicals per week limit (this is very hard).

(2) Don’t be a sucker. This means I will be data-based, not wishful thinking (follow-the-leader) based. If I cannot see an improvement in my biomarkers (rechecked every 3 mos) or bodily sensations (pain, energy level, brain function, etc.), the research had better be amazing and in humans…or I’m out.

(3) Prioritize 80/20. Go after the low-hanging fruit (easy to fix what needs fixing) and most promising big lever (big issue that will make the most difference). For me the big lever is sleep / stress management (immune system function, blood sugar regulation, and many other downstream benefits).

Maybe my only resolution is to be patient.

What are you going to do differently this year?

21 Likes

My current strategy is working, but i need to drink less alcohol.

7 Likes

FWIW

Take LDN, will make alcohol not taste good.

3 Likes

I hoping for a little more progress towards getting into as optimal shape as I can. I don’t have resolutions as such, I just need to be more consistent with my protocol.

I started a new nutritional plan last year based on my genomics and have’t been consistent enough with it. I’m using the new year to focused on it more diligently so I can see if it has any effect on my markers.
I’d like to get my biological age down from 38 to under 35. I think that’s a pretty reasonable goal given how much room for improvement I think I have.
Grateful for this forum, makes me feel like I’m slightly less crazy. Wishing everyone good luck and even better health in 2024.

11 Likes

Well closing in on my first year with rapa 2mg after grapefruit. My iron levels are now within normal range first time in 5 years. This year i will optimice my exersize and diet, like i had before. All blodresults are now optimal :sunglasses::partying_face:

8 Likes

@JDK Was iron too high or too low previously? I’m on a mission to donate blood 6 times a year (after not donating at all for 60 years). Gave blood yesterday before my rapa dose.

2 Likes

@Paul_2.0 Dont take off the crazy hat too soon. My mom would say you are crazy just like me.

4 Likes

acetazolamide (Diamox) makes anything carbonated tastes very bad. I discovered this when using diamox to avoid altitude sickness. I couldn’t drink beer the entire trip, or soda water for that matter.

3 Likes

Was to high 3x top normal, im alsow donating but it had litle effect before i got on rapa

2 Likes

I’m going the other way, impatience. Trying some crazy things to get my CAC under control. Wednesday I’m doing a Chelation Challenge, EDTA for 3 hours, then collect urine for 6 hours and see if I have any heavy metals. Google was a little negative on it, said you have to treat 18 people to save one. But maybe only 1/18 has heavy metals.

Also going to use beta cyclodextrin more along with whatever it takes to reduce cholesterol. I started taking metformin and it does seem to reduce fasting blood sugar.

I’m exercising more again. Everything hurts. My times suck this time of year because of the cold.

Thanks for the help this year people. Great group.

9 Likes

I’ve only got a couple of things on my list:
Raise free testosterone to the median of the recommended range for younger people.
Reduce my intake of glucose.

4 Likes

Low Dose Naltrexone will make wine taste off. It won’t stop you from having a glass of wine with friends, but you will be less likely to have a second glass.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t dare make resolutions since I’m sure they won’t last longer than couple days lol. However, I’ll try to stick to what I know works best for my health. I am normally good at about 60% of the time. I’d love to be over 80% of time. The beauty of it though is the fact that I know exactly what works for me, and know exactly what I need to do. I’m not in a rush to try new things. Thanks to some/many on these boards I’ve been able to get rid of couple concerns I had, ie muscle spasms via carnosine and/beta alanine, been able to reverse/naturally color my grey hair via GR7. Gotten rid of all the pains and tiredness mainly with the above mentioned plus white willow bark. Also, found out that if I need a mood lifting Mucuna puriens is God sent, though I wish it has way less effect because it tends to keep me going for couple days (with two pills) like energizer bunny lol and usually affects my sleep (negatively).

I can literally say I feel better than probably ever healthwise even though I’ve been relatively healthy all my life.

5 Likes

Not sure what form of beta cyclodextrin you are utilizing, but you may want to consider a potential trade-off:

4 Likes

Well… I’ve considered this approach:

But after much internal debate, my longevity resolution is:

1. Exercise… a lot more. Work up to 1 hour a day in the first six months, then two hours a day by end of year. The goal is a V02 Max above 50. I think that for me, this is the most important area I can make progress towards.

2. Test - Monthly blood work to track biomarkers. No major changes planed in my drug/supplement regimen, just slow and steady measurement and adjustment.

And, I have an idea for someone else’s New Year Longevity resolutions… :wink:

What we need is someone with @ConquerAging (Mike Lustgarten)'s rigorous and scientific approach to longevity, but focused entirely on purported, or prospective longevity drugs, and the measurement of the outcomes with each modification. I would love to read a personal and scientific journey of that person. Maybe Mike has a friend in the pharmacology department of his university who would team up with him!

7 Likes

Intuitively I think zone 2 wattage is better than V02 Max as a predictor of longevity. What do we use v02 max for anyway?

Yeh, perhaps. I just use the Vo2 Metric as its well documented and measurable (and I don’t have a watt meter, and don’t necessarily bike as much as I’d like ). Exercise, VO2 max, and longevity | Mike Joyner, M.D

And while I use VO2 Max as short hand for zone 2 training, etc. I’m really talking about a variety of exercise - from weight training, to HIIT, to yoga, etc. that I want to pursue with more dedication this year.

3 Likes

In michael greger’s book he apparently found no connection of exercise with longevity and that the field has mixed results.

Zone 2 training is a very narrow and specific focus at improving mitochondrial density and function, training at a very specific output.

2 Likes

I have the book but have not yet read it. My concern is not just longevity, but also lifestyle and functionality. I want to be rock climbing, whitewater kayaking, cycling, skiing, and mountaineering in my 90s…with my kids and grandkids. I don’t want to be sitting on a couch all day. You can probably live to the same age with both approaches, but one is more optimal for me.

8 Likes

I will have to think about it more. At least zone 2 training improves mitochondrial function while the others seem kind of vague in what they do. What I question is whether really good mitochondria will be enough for all of those activities, except those that require muscle strength.