NAD precursors - save your money folks

I think Dr Attia and Dr Stanfield actually have similar opinions and I agree with both. The cancer risk is questionable and minimal. The benefit is questionable if any. The benefit does not significantly outweigh the risk so why take it?

2 Likes

It’s great for healthspan and energy levels. Instead of feeling tired every single day, I am alert, active and energetic. What good is a long life if you are always fatigued? You are sleeping through life!

After reading a prior post of yours, I tried NMN, but didn’t notice any effect.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work for everyone. I get too little sleep, so I think that’s why I feel the effect.

Also most of the NMN being sold on Amazon is fake. Too many people end up buying a supplement with no NMN in it.

1 Like

I would not say most of the NMN on Amazon is fake. Some of it clearly has no NMN. However, being within 10% of the published amount does not to me seem to be fake.

1 Like

True - only 64% of the sampled brands had under the detection or reporting limit, and 14% had no NMN in them I recall.

Report on NMN supplement products: (this study only looked at the % NMN, not for any contaminants)
(and this doesn’t even touch the broader issue of whether NMN is at all effective in increasing healthspan or lifespan - as there is no good human data on that yet, and many opposing views).

Out of 22 NMN Brands tested:

• 14% had at the level, or above, level of claimed NMN
  • 23% had between 89 and 99% of the claimed level of NMN
  • 64% had NMN had under the method detection or reporting limit, or under 1% of claimed NMN
  • 14% had no NMN

Summary:

DETAILS:

Quantitative Analysis of 22 NMN Brands - Lab Analysis / Quality Analysis

Video: 22 NMN Brands Independently Tested | SHOCKINGLY POOR RESULTS FOR MANY BRANDS

Got mine at donotage

1 Like

DoNotAge is the real stuff. I am sorry it has no effect for you. My best friend had to give up NMN because it gave him too much energy and he couldn’t sleep!

I would say 64% with no or undetectable NMN would be considered ‘most’.

If it has no effect on you, I guess that could mean that you get enough sleep and are a very healthy individual!

Yes, this study was debunked by several scientists as being bad science.

The ITP tested NR on mice and it did not affect lifespan in any way. Mice die of cancer most of the time, so if it enhanced cancer, the ITP would have found it.

Stanfield had a video about why this study was not very good .

1 Like

The 14 marked with a star are the same distributor. The study was in 2021 and i dont think those are still on amazon. Hence i think the problem is now smaller.

2 Likes

See my post above, NR reduced median lifespan.

2 Likes

Noted, but not statistically significant. That said, it is still a potential reduction which is not good. :frowning:

1 Like

I think there is a slightly better question. I think having sufficient vitamin B3 is important. The question is whether that should be through NMM NR or niacin (or simply tryptophan)

I have tried NMN and NR, but not noticed anything particularly, but I am supplementing with niacin anyway.

In the end if you are deficient in something supplementing will have more impact.

2 Likes

According to the latest study, NAD precursors plus exercise increase athletic endurance greater than either one alone.

3 Likes

FWIW I took NR briefly some years back, and it very noticeably degraded my exercise performance.

1 Like

I take niacin. I love the flush feeling. Have you noticed a glucose bump up on niacin? I’ve read it has that effect. I haven’t had a blood test since starting on niacin.

I absolutely believe this. When I started NMN I started recovering from workouts better and awash able to go harder than before. I don’t think it directly caused muscle gain but I think my ability to put in more work lifting was a turning point in my fitness for sure.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried the flush niacin as yet.

I do try multiple experimentation, but there are difficulties with that in identifying cause and effect. In the end NAD deficiencies as a result of age changes should reverse with the mitigation of those age changes. At a guess I think the kyenurine pathway is part of this some of the mRNA changes point to this.

I probably will try niacin at some stage, but probably not this year.

1 Like

I brought my NMN with me on my 25 hour flight to the other side of the world. Took it first thing in the morning and no jet lag.

That in and of itself is a terrific reason to take NMN.

1 Like