NAD precursors - save your money folks

Noted, but not statistically significant. That said, it is still a potential reduction which is not good. :frowning:

1 Like

I think there is a slightly better question. I think having sufficient vitamin B3 is important. The question is whether that should be through NMM NR or niacin (or simply tryptophan)

I have tried NMN and NR, but not noticed anything particularly, but I am supplementing with niacin anyway.

In the end if you are deficient in something supplementing will have more impact.

2 Likes

According to the latest study, NAD precursors plus exercise increase athletic endurance greater than either one alone.

3 Likes

FWIW I took NR briefly some years back, and it very noticeably degraded my exercise performance.

1 Like

I take niacin. I love the flush feeling. Have you noticed a glucose bump up on niacin? I’ve read it has that effect. I haven’t had a blood test since starting on niacin.

I absolutely believe this. When I started NMN I started recovering from workouts better and awash able to go harder than before. I don’t think it directly caused muscle gain but I think my ability to put in more work lifting was a turning point in my fitness for sure.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried the flush niacin as yet.

I do try multiple experimentation, but there are difficulties with that in identifying cause and effect. In the end NAD deficiencies as a result of age changes should reverse with the mitigation of those age changes. At a guess I think the kyenurine pathway is part of this some of the mRNA changes point to this.

I probably will try niacin at some stage, but probably not this year.

1 Like

I brought my NMN with me on my 25 hour flight to the other side of the world. Took it first thing in the morning and no jet lag.

That in and of itself is a terrific reason to take NMN.

1 Like

How much are you taking? Do you take it sublingually? Pills? Or do you mix it with something?
I have been taking NMN for a while and I have not seen something remarkable, maybe a bit more energy, less tiredness, but that is not always good thing as I need to remind myself to go to bed sometimes as I don’t feel tired or sleepy at all…

I take 750 mg of NMN mixed with EVOO and black pepper and tumeric. Great cure for jet lag. Normally I get pretty bad jet lag but with NMN, I don’t have any.

2 Likes

I use melatonin and Rapa to beat the jet lag. Take both when I should sleep in the new time zone, the melatonin knocks me out, and by the time I wake up the Rapa makes me very alert for the next day. Able to then fall asleep at normal bedtime the following night without taking anything.
I appreciate that probably won’t work for everyone but worth a try.

2 Likes

Looking forward to his next eperiments. Niacin looks promising and cheap.

2 Likes

Data from isotope-labeled compounds revealed that the majority of absorbed NMN undergoes degradation to nicotinamide and NR before being utilized for NAD+ synthesis. Nicotinamide salvage pathway for NAD+ biosynthesis was the dominant pathway in almost all tissues except for the kidney.

Dont waste your money on NMN/NR, just take nicotinamide, its cheaper

https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/24/13/11114

1 Like

I’ve been taking NR for close to a year now (associated with other supplements I introduced gradually after). A very clear effect is that I never, ever, get hangovers, even after drinking way too much. Not necessarily good (as it could push you to drink more), but proof, somewhat, that metabolism is working better.

I did the Morgan Levine PhenoAge test recently, and according to that test, my biological age is 12 years younger than my chronological age (44 instead of 56). But I haven’t done the test or any other bloodwork before, so no proof whatsoever this is from NR or the other supplements.

What is a bit more intriguing, is that my Garmin measured VO2max, after having stagnated at 49 for over a year, has been steadily climbing to now 52 in the last 6 months, even though I didn’t change my training in any way, and have even reduced, involuntarily, my training load a bit.

So I really don’t know what to think of NR and the rest of the supplements, but I’m doing fine, so I’m not so sure if I want to change the routine (I also fast 3 days every 2-3 months, eat a great diet, but otherwise have quiet unhealthy habits…).

2 Likes

Have you also seen an HRV (and body battery) increase in the same period?

My Garmin watch (Forerunner 245) doesn’t track HRV, even though you can get it through a third party app (but not continuously). I should upgrade to a 255, but I’m a bit broke now and can’t really justify the expense. As for Body Battery, I have never taken it seriously, so I don’t know. Yet it relies on sleep tracking, which isn’t very accurate, as, quite often, when you wake up in the middle of the night, the Garmin doesn’t realise you fell asleep again and thus calculates a much too low sleep time, and at other times, on the contrary, when you actually don’t fall asleep again, but lie still, he believes you sleep. So given that the sleep tracking has some quite fundamental errors, the more elusive “body battery” seems quite non-sensical to me.

2 Likes