Metformin More Popular than Acarbose?

Ok so Youtube and Google results are by no means evidence of efficacy of course, but it seems to me that there are more articles and popular discussion around Metformin re longevity boosting potential, than Acarbose. This is DESPITE the evidence that metformin increases lifespan being quite controversial/in some studies not supported (ITP trial), whereas I have not seen same uncertainty around acarbose from scientific literature (or perhaps since there is less discussion on acarbose generally, this leads to less controversy).

On YouTube for example, there are a plethora of discussions on Metformin alone for anti-ageing, whereas Acarbose is either paired with a rapamycin or-if mentioned solely-seemingly as part of this odd ChatGPT like presentation with an AI host.

Am I missing something here?

2 Likes

Yes it’s cultural, Acarbose is more popular in China and the East.

4 Likes

Ah interesting. Did not know that thx

1 Like

As Maveric sort of suggested - Acarbose is much more popular in Asia because their diet fits better with the Acarbose side effect profile. In the “West” many people eat predominantly wheat diets and the side effects of acarbose seem much worse on this type of diet … more flatulence and diarrhea. I think that because of this Acarbose has become dominant in Asia, and Metformin in the West (where the side effect profile is generally minimal).

4 Likes

Maybe it’s due to Acarbose’s slightly higher possibility of liver damage which might also be more severe than Metformin’s? Reference: Acarbose Acarbose - LiverTox - NCBI Bookshelf, Metformin: Metformin - LiverTox - NCBI Bookshelf Wikipedia says “liver enzymes should be checked before and during use of this medicine”, so I think the people like Bryan Johnson who have the condition to check liver enzymes regularly will be at lower risk when taking Acarbose.

1 Like

Metformin has been considered as an anti-aging drug for quite a while. Acarbose is the new kid on the block. It makes sense that Metformin has more press.

1 Like

True enough although it seems there is -at this point-more compelling evidence for acarbose so one would think there would be more commentary. As it is there is a literal dearth of it at least English language…Y-Tube is a perfect example.

1 Like

Maybe they think the flatulence won’t fly with people? It’s a LOT of extra gas…

My doctor had to look up acarbose, and then wouldn’t give it to me. She did begrudgingly give me a low dose of metformin.

2 Likes

Why would she deny Acarbose? My pharmacist said it was an incredibly safe and easy drug with little to no side effects. If you discount the gas and intestinal bloating.

1 Like

She said it was an ancient drug that no one uses. If I told her about longevity she would have called the police.

1 Like

Yes, it is an ancient drug which is considered to have low efficacy for diabetes (which is what it is prescribed for). My dad just told his doctor that he wanted it for longevity purposes along with Rapamycin. His doctor wouldn’t give him Rapamycin but gave him Acarbose to placate him. :wink:

2 Likes