Low-frequency ultrasound appears to have rejuvenating effects on animals

Reference 26 of the paper is EBioMedicine 21, 21-28 (2017). F. Ahmad et al., Bio-effects and safety of low- intensity, low-frequency ultrasonic exposure. Prog Biophys Mol Biol 108, 119-138 (2012), Bio-effects and safety of low-intensity, low-frequency ultrasonic exposure - PubMed
Consistent with what a couple others wrote, the first sentence of the abstract of Reference 26 to the paper says “Low-frequency (LF) ultrasound (20-100 kHz) has a diverse set of industrial and medical applications.”
Are devices commercially available that generate 20-100 KHz sound waves and could be used underwater? I’m not about to try it at home, just curious.

2 Likes

The reference under “vitiligo” is the same as the one below “periodontal bone formation”. Is the following the reference you intended to cite?

I read about it first from Tarek El Bialy of the University of Alberta.

2 Likes

Thanks to JamesPaul108 and SciHub:

https://sci-hub.ru/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pbiomolbio.2012.01.004

And it does look like a person should know what they’re doing, which we don’t.

4 Likes

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8577250/

1 Like

Interesting. LIPUS is defined in that paper to be frequencies in the range of 1 MHz to 3 MHz, whereas low-frequency ultrasound is 10 kHz to 100 kHz or 10 kHz to 30 kHz.

2 Likes

To be fair, LIPUS is not low frequency ultrasound, which is what we’ve been talking about. It’s low intensity which I think means low power. And it’s pulsed.

A couple interesting things about this table:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8577250/table/T2/?report=objectonly

For one thing, they have been doing this for 10 or 15 years. The frequency goes from a low of .25Mhz to 43Mhz, though maybe we ignore that last one. The power is between 20mW/m2 and 750mW/m2. And the duration is 5-30 minutes. They all used different equipment.

Maybe I should just put my bad elbow in the water next to the fog machine.

1 Like

So I mentioned this to my youngest son and he told me DON’T DO IT. So I said “why not?”

In college (ag engineer) he was bored and worked part time running a water jet cutting machine (CNC) for the university. Mostly you do the software and it cuts the shape.

They had an ultrasound cleaner for cleaning parts that had been cut. They were cleaned with just water and ultrasound. He stuck his hand in there once to get a part when the machine was on and it ached for a week. He thought at the time that he had done permanent damage. His hand was in there for only a second.

He did not know what the frequency or power were for the machine. I’ll work on it some.

2 Likes

I have bought something that claims to operate at 1 or 3 MHz I will report back on any outcomes. (not that it is easy to distinguish between inputs).

1 Like

You mean the output?

I mean it is hard when there are lots of inputs to distinguish between which inputs affect the outputs.

1 Like

I did go to a professional and got something called shockwave therapy (ultrasound) for my elbow, which has arthritis or tendonitis (both). Also an MRI shows pea sized pieces floating around in there which they say have managed to get blood supply.

The shockwave helped quite a lot and since I watched them do it I went home and bought an ultrasound machine:

It hurts like hell, you turn it down till you are at about a 5, which means it hurts so much you can’t think about anything else for about 2 minutes. Wait a few days and do it again. Every time you do it, it hurts a little less. Immediately the cramping and pain are very much reduced.

This is a device that actually works when used right. Don’t forget the gel. Without it the thing doesn’t work at all.

4 Likes

This appears to be an ultrasound tub for humans, made in the U.S. Perhaps it would work. Arjo System 2000 Rhapsody Quick Reference Manual (Page 2 of 2) | ManualsLib

1 Like

This refers to a tub sold in Asia; it mentions the use of ultrasound: Spa Machine (Official Distributor) | Ambulance Services & Training Centre | Emergencies First Aid & Rescue

This tub with ultrasound is made in China: ultrasonic - search result, Anhui Aejstmun Co., Ltd.

Looks like there’s the Ultrasound Frequency and then there’s the Pulse Frequency. Found an interesting device:

Features

• 1MHz & 3MHz Ultrasound Frequency
  • Pulsed and Continuous modes
  • Variable duty cycles (16Hz, 48Hz and 100Hz)
  • Ergonomically designed sound heads, 5cm included, 1cm head available separately
  • Contact control with both visual and audio feedback
  • 13cm / 5" Smart Touch Screen
  • 20 preset programs & 80 custom programs included
  • Tabletop or optional cart/ trolley
  • 2-Year Warranty on main unit

Specifications

• Power Supply 240v +/- 10% 50/60Hz
  • Intensity (Max) 3 W/cm2
  • Pulse Frequency 16Hz, 48Hz & 100Hz
  • Ultrasound Frequency 1 MHz/3MHz +/- 10%
  • Duty 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, 100% Timer
  • Dimensions 285mm (L) x 197mm (W) x 153mm (H)
  • Weight 2kgs
  • Certification EU MDD, FDA clearance, CFDA, TGA, CMDCA

And if you’re not a physiotherapist I found another site happy to oblige for hard cash :blush:

@Bicep any update on the ultrasound?

Very inexpensive and easy to do. Painful but it is senomorphic and kills inflammation. I used it after the PRP on the elbow when you’re not supposed to use nsaid and it would kill the pain for a day. So I did it daily. With joint pain this would be my first choice. If it doesn’t solve the problem go with PRP from somebody that actually knows what they’re doing.

2 Likes