Low-frequency ultrasound appears to have rejuvenating effects on animals

Remember when Scientific American actually did science? Sold Hewlett Packard calculators with RPN logic?

Now they’re talking about cats and why they purr, and they don’t even have an answer. This could have been written by somebody in elementary school, or Chat GPT.

But they purr at 100 Hertz and we’re on more like a million. I know it’s a joke, and not your fault, but SA really went to shit.

1 Like

Thanks for the article. By this logic, my semi tractor or for that matter all my farm tractors should be healing machines. My tendons should be like steel.

Had prp on my shoulder last summer and just had it done to my elbow too. It got worse all fall as I did my annual marathon for a couple months of harvest.

Cats are strange creatures. I really think they are as likely to eat the guy feeding them as they are to try to heal him.

2 Likes

Related:

1 Like

That is amazing, they can explode your tumor without cutting you open.

My daughter has been working with a doctor from MD Anderson, so I’ll see if she can find out if it might work for her. Don’t want to bore with details.

Ultrasound seems to me like a big deal, but frequency and intensity and delivery are important and we aren’t getting the details on this yet.

Great article.

2 Likes

another writeup on this reseach:

1 Like

Soaking in an ultrasonic bath tub/hot tub/ jacuzzi with adjustable frequency.

From the article: “Her father had suffered for years from essential tremor, a movement disorder similar to Parkinson’s.”

I was developing an “essential tremor”, the “essential” part I consider BS and should just be addressed as age-related tremor.
In any case, I had been developing “essential tremors”. My hands had become shaky when trying to eat. Like having the peas fall off the fork when trying to get them into my mouth. When I started rapamycin I was not anticipating that it would have any effect on this syndrome but after a few months of rapamycin, I became aware that my “essential tremors” had disappeared.
I am extremely interested to hear if anyone else has noticed this result from taking rapamycin, or am I just a one-off example?

4 Likes

My uncle has it really bad and can barely eat. I noticed a couple years ago that it was coming. More like if I was shaking some salt or something my hand would keep shaking on it’s own. The rapa made me forget about it. I think this is a genuine thing.

Also I was getting the swallowing issue that Agetron had. My dad died of Bulbar ALS and I assumed that was what was happening. This also went away.

1 Like

It is a bath, confirmed in the full paper.

Aged mice (21-24 months old) were treated in a 4L glass beaker with an internal plastic cylinder of 13 cm height and 15.2 cm in diameter. A plastic mess (mesh?) was placed on top the cylinder that supported the mice and enabled them to rest with their four limbs and body in the water. Degassed, 32-35°C water was poured into the beaker to a level of 1 inch above the plastic mesh so that half of the bodies of the mice were in water. Once the mice were placed in the water, intermittent ultrasound of low frequency and intermediate power was applied to the mice. The reason for putting animals in water was that ultrasound was attenuated dramatically at air-water interfaces. Animals in the ultrasound groups were treated at 72-96 h intervals for one month (10 treatments). During the ultrasound treatment, we carefully observed mouse activity and their adaptation to the system. After treatment, the animals were placed in a separate cage with tissue paper to dry the animals and then they were returned to their home cage. Control mice were placed in the same water bath for 30’ without ultrasonication.

Duration seems to be for 30 minutes per session. Again, no mention of the ultrasound frequency. Authors are all from the University of Texas at Galveston. Hope somebody here from the academe can reach out to them, and ask about the ultrasound frequency.

3 Likes

The bath could be similar to an ultrasonic cleaner, which produces about 43khz of sonification. The paper says:

Because ultrasound has been approved for human exposure at power levels ten to hundred-fold higher than the levels used in this study, we suggest that it is practical to develop ultrasound-based therapies that could inhibit the increase in the fraction of senescent cells in tissues with aging and thereby inhibit the onset of many age-related maladies.

So if it is a hundredfold less than the 1 to 3 mhz of commercial ultrasound devices, it would be in the range of 10 to 30 khz. Some people have tried to produce DIY ultrasonic cleaners. I have a commercial device, for production of liposomal vitamin C.

I wonder if some rig can be attached to the bathtub, to produce the sonic waves.

1 Like

I read this as saying the power level is lower, not the frequency.

“We report here that low frequency ultrasound (LFU) rejuvenates senescent cells causing growth…”

So if it is a hundredfold less than the 1 to 3 mhz of commercial ultrasound devices, it would be in the range of 10 to 30 khz.

The quote above (I need to spend some time learning how to properly do a quote since I couldn’t make it work) is not the same thing as what you quoted, I think. Power and frequency are different. Power comes from the volume control knob, frequency is the pitch, right?

FYI - I’m not sure if there is any other commentary on this new research by geroscientists - if you see it, please add to this thread:

My second quote comes from the second sentence, first paragraph, of the full paper.

Accumulation of senescent cells in tissue and organs leads to aging abnormalities. Rejuvenating senescent cells provides a strategy to ameliorate aging. We report here that low frequency ultrasound (LFU) rejuvenates senescent cells causing growth and loss of senescence markers. With fibroblasts and mesenchymal stem cells, LFU can enable increased cell expansion without altering phenotype. At a subcellular level, LFU causes mitochondrial fission and loss of lysosome staining that is enhanced by rapamycin or Rho kinase inhibition and blocked by Sirtuin1 inhibition, consistent with the hypothesis that LFU activates autophagy. In vivo, older mice are rejuvenated by LFU as measured by increased physical performance and decreased levels of senescent cells in kidney and pancreas measured by three markers. Thus, we suggest that LFU alone increases aged cell and whole animal performance.

The very term repeatedly used LFU (low frequency ultrasound) indicates that it is the frequency that is low, not the power. I concede that the first quote refers to power. But that may have been an erroneous usage. Between the many (times LFU was used), versus the one, the error seems to be clear.

Do we have any idea what the specs would need to be here? I’ve tried to read through this and somehow the details are eluding me.

ChatGPT helped me out with this:

Low-frequency ultrasound (LFUS) refers to ultrasound waves with frequencies typically in the range of 20-100 kHz. The power levels used for LFUS are usually in the milliwatt to watt range, and depend on the specific application and the depth of penetration required. The frequency and power levels used can also depend on the material being targeted (e.g., soft tissue vs bone), and the size and shape of the therapeutic or diagnostic device being used.

1 Like

Power is low, less than 7 watts at high level.

• Output Power:

• (L) 0.32W ± 20%
    • (M) 3.20W ± 20%
    • (H) 6.40W ± 20%

My problem is the frequency. They come in 1 or 3 mhz frequencies. Study does not indicate the frequency used.

As I look up more online, it seems that Low Frequency Ultrasound is used to refer to frequencies below 100khz, and the most common numbers seem to be 40khz and 20khz

1 Like

I actually have one of these here to make fog for my mushrooms:

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/2251832601370530.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Mine is 400 watts, 12 piezoelectric emitters and you just throw it into a tub of water and fog starts pouring off the top.

I was giving a tour of my “operation” to some 85 yr old women (friends of my daughter from church) and showed them the fog machine and one of them said “that’s just a diffuser” and I said yeah, it’s just a ultrasonic speaker under the water setting up a standing wave which is strong enough to liberate droplets at the surface. And she argued with me, claiming it was just a diffuser. Lol. What the hell is a diffuser?

Anyway, it came straight from China and I have no idea what the frequency is. The directions are gibberish, but it works like crazy.

Should I be bathing with this thing?

2 Likes

So according to this:

Ultrasonic humidifiers operate best at about 1MHz, which is a bit too high for us.

These guys do a great job of explaining piezoelectric transducers:

I think the fog pouring from the tub during a session would be a great little bonus, but it shouldn’t take much to make it work right. We just need good numbers on the power and frequency.

And someone to try it first.

1 Like