Is methylene blue useful?

snake oil. did it for couple weeks and did nothing or felt nothing. It’s literally a dye, and it can kill warms if you suspect you have any lol. some of these so-called longevity substances are a joke.

1 Like

I love MB. It makes me feel great. It’s okay that not everybody likes it…more for me.

7 Likes

snake oil. did it for couple weeks and did nothing or felt nothing.

Determining whether a particular supplement has any effect is something that I’ve struggled with for a long time.

The only supplement with which I noticed an obvious effect without a blood test, to my recollection, is hyaluronic acid.

Often I’m too excited to try the latest promising new thing, or I change more than one variable/supplement at a time, or don’t do the blood tests that might give me some insight into whether there’s an effect.

I’m grateful to you others who are more disciplined. Thanks for sharing your data and experiences.

6 Likes

I feel something mostly positive (rarely negative) or nothing. There are a lot of supps that i take and do feel for sure something (positive) rapa, metformin, vitd, Vitc+Lysine, Carnosine, niacin, and probably 4-6 others can’t remember right now. I have literally 20 names i feel nothing and usually either take them rarely, or discontinue. I had couple with negative effects that i discontinued.

2 Likes

I mostly feel nothing from supplements. Exceptions include: MB, niacin (flushing), cacao, caffeine, nicotine, theanine, GABA

So I have to watch my blood markers for feedback.

5 Likes

MB seems interesting but it has some potential issues too.

Methylene blue is a heterocyclic aromatic molecule that blocks the nitric oxide synthase and soluble guanylate cyclase pathways, leading to the restoration of vascular tone and arterial pressure.

BTW It can be neurotoxic too depending on the dose so it’s probably better to stick to low doses.

2 Likes

Definitely low doses. I am trying it as part of my metabolic enhancement protocol. I don’t do this all the time and at the moment I am on a low metabolic enhancement phase, but my prior enhancement protocol has built up my metabolism (so that rhr and BP are higher). I don’t think that was MB, but I think MB does help to build the metabolism.

When I had metabolic enhancement in the gym I got my heart rate to 169 (which is high for someone aged 63). I will try this out again in the future, but for now I want to work my RHR and BP down.

1 Like

I accidentally came across an older (2020) YouTube video concerning:
“How an common anti-fungal drug could help stop brain disease”
The common antifungal drug is miconazole.

Interesting take on the possible role of fungus in our brain causing dementia, etc.

But he also suggests that methylene blue and photobiomodulation therapy may also help.

“MB has been tested in a human clinical trial in which patients with mild to moderate AD showed both cognitive and cerebral blood flow improvements after MB treatment.”

Here are some references. I mainly include references that use LED red light therapy and the brain, as I don’t think too many of us are using lasers. Sorry if some of these references have been posted before.

4 Likes

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-02419-3

This paper loves methylene blue. Here are the listed benefits:

1. MB is a more potent ROS scavenger than NAC, MitoQ, and mTEM
  2. MB reduces aging signs in old skin cells
  3. MB upregulates the expression of Nrf2 and its downstream antioxidant genes
  4. MB increases skin thickness and hydration
  5. MB treatment alters the expression of a subset of ECM proteins, including upregulation of elastin and collagen 2A1
  6. MB promotes wound healing in dermal fibroblasts
6 Likes

In vivo, N=1 here. Mixed with a moisturizer it works hella good when paired with a session in front of a
Red + near IR light panel. Makes me literally glow as if I just got a facial.

3 Likes

How do you avoid blue skin?

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. Great minds and all…

1 Like

This is the amazing thing. The blue just melts away. Something about its reaction with the photons of the right wavelength in red light neutralizes it within 15-20 min.

2 Likes

(Didn’t mean to reference myself)

Perhaps Methylene blue is a prophylactic against brain fungus, but it is a big leap with no significant research to back it up.
Still another reason to love methylene blue.

Methylene blue is one thing we can take to help avoid a fungal infection of the brain.
Still another plus for MB.

Symptoms:
Fever
Headache
Altered mental status
Focal neurological deficits
Seizures

Prevention:
Prompt treatment of fungal infections elsewhere in the body
Avoiding immunosuppression if possible

“Fungal infections of the brain are relatively uncommon overall, but they are an important cause of morbidity and mortality in certain high-risk groups. In immunocompromised patients, such as those with HIV/AIDS or cancer, the risk of developing a fungal brain infection is higher”

Not to scare anyone, but: "So while not extremely common, fungal brain infections are a serious concern for immunocompromised patients and require prompt diagnosis and treatment.
Fungi such as Candida albicans, Cryptococcus neoformans, and Aspergillus fumigatus often infect immunocompromised individuals, and can use several strategies to invade the central nervous system (CNS) by penetrating the blood-brain barrier.

5 Likes

As John McEnroe said: “You cannot be serious!” :rofl:

If you are taking so much MB that it colors your skin, you are taking way, way too much.
The prophylactic daily dose is 1mg derived from 1 ml of a 1 percent solution.
I have been taking MB for many months in combo with red light therapy and haven’t turned blue yet.

2 Likes

I bet if I rubbed some MB on my skin I’d get some blue coloring. But @medaura says the light neutralizes it.

1 Like

John, what are your thoughts on that one of the best things for our mitochondria is zone 2 training?

And that fasting can help generate new mitochondria?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t rub pure MB on my skin and bank on the red light to neutralize it. That shit is powerful as a dye. I’m talking 3-5 drops of MB in a big tub of moisturizer will turn the whole thing very blue. And at that dilution level red light does take care of it for me. Also I’m pretty sure that undiluted the research showed it to be toxic to skin cells.

2 Likes

So if you look like a Smurf, cut back on the dose.

4 Likes

I think there is a spectrum of challenges that affect cells. I did a post looking at the varying responses to hypoxia and the initial response is HIF 1 alpha then NRF 2 and then NF kappa B.

There are a number of ways of stimulating this sort of response. One is exercise another is fasting. There are others.

When it comes to exercise I think low levelish exercise such as reasonably rapid walking, zone 2 training and resistance exercise are helpful. Endurance exercise, however, is not as I see it that helpful it can go into NF kappa B territory.

HIIT probably fits with the good types of exercise.