Is methylene blue useful?

I see MB as one of a number of substances that temporarly improves mitochondrial function. It is not as good as actually improving the mitochondria, but it can make the ATP levels higher to enable other more complex mechanisms to function.

I am thinking of developing a cycle of mitochondrial enhancers so I take the levels up and down. AIUI MB increases glucose levels so it is not something I would want always in situ.

1 Like

I have not noticed any effect on glucose levels one way or another at the dose I am taking.

What is the timing of taking MB and the blood sample. MB has a short half life (4 hours).

I took my usual dose of methylene blue this morning on an empty stomach. I measured my blood glucose about two hours later and was a little below my normal. As for half-life, my urine still has a blue/green tint after 24 hrs.
Can’t really find much info on the effect of methylene blue on blood glucose levels, therefore, I conclude at this time, it isn’t a big deal.

It may protect you against Xrays:
“It may be considered that methylene blue greatly reduces the sensitivity of rats to X-rays, provided that methylene blue is given before the exposure”

“During the experimental days the levels of the blood glucose increased generally, methylene blue, however, caused delay in two phases”
https://kmbase.medric.or.kr/KMID/0364219680110020048

3 Likes

I have found this on Methylene Blue

He requires a subscription (but not necessarily payment) to get access to this.

I think his view can be summarised as MB being useful when you have impaired mitochondria, but not when your mitochondria are good.

I still intend experimenting with some low doses, but I thought it would be useful to link to someone who perhaps is more sceptical about MB.

Having had a longer read of his paper it is quite interesting in the details into which he goes into how the ETC works and the impact of MB.

What seems clear, however, is that daily doses of MB should be kept in the lower levels around a few milligrams or so. Not going above 50. It may be hormetic in its effects.

2 Likes

That movie was the exact information I was looking for, thank you so much! I am working hard at getting my NO levels up and just got my first order of methylene blue in the mail. I was worried that it might be working against my NO efforts but feel like I am 100% on the right track now. Out of interest, how do you stop it turning your mouth blue! LOL

Dissolving Meth Blue in a glass of water together with Vit C reduces the ‘blue mouth’. It does go away very quickly though.

4 Likes

I avoid the dreaded blue tongue by encapsulating the Methylene Blue just before taking it.

Your Methylene Blue comes with a calibrated dropper. You can use the markings rather than counting drops. You must use them immediately as they will become very soft after a couple of minutes.

This is not as inconvenient as it sounds. I keep the capsules in a drawer near my medicine cabinet where I keep my Methylene Blue and I put a dose in and take it. Methylene Blue is far from a permanent dye, so if you spill some of it will clean up easily. You can use a little hydrogen peroxide if any stain is left. So far I have not managed to spill any while filling a capsule.

I buy empty-size 000 gelatin capsules from Amazon. I also use them for some other supplements that I buy in powder form.

Or, you can do what I do with some of my nastier powders that I don’t want to ruin a good smoothie with. I have some 3 oz paper cups from Amazon that I put about 1 or 2 ounces of water in along with whatever. Then I toss the mixture into the back of my throat like a shot of tequila. Yeah, we really don’t want to taste that nasty crap. The capsules are cheaper.

They conveniently hold the recommended dose of ~20 drops = 1.0 mL.

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Empty-Gelatin-Capsules-Capsuline/dp/B01I5TQ3TE/ref=sr_1_1

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Turbo+Bee+600+Pack+3+oz+Disposable+Paper+Cups%2CHot%2FCold&crid=2TVG5VI6ICFGS&sprefix=turbo+bee+600+pack+3+oz+disposable+paper+cups%2Chot%2Fcold%2Caps%2C789&ref=nb_sb_noss

(I have no affiliation with Amazon or any of their products)

3 Likes

I took MB last week at 20 drops per day, and it felt it was doing something good taken in general. Main thing was, I could notice better skin complexion. However, I thought that it slowed down food digestion a bit also, as such I dropped it. I don’t know if anyone else might have had similar experience.

I was thinking to do it again on days that I fast and see how I feel then?

It’s been really good for my skin. That’s about it and I don’t take it orally now that I’m pregnant.

Thankyou! This is a great idea. I have some empty capsules and so will start this immediately :slight_smile:

I am very excited about starting on MB. Even though it is spring here I will keep using my IR heater over my bed in the mornings as it seems they work well together.

This has been my concern with MB. MB is a NO inhibitor yet most of us think NO is good and trying to increase NO. Seems like MB and NO supplementation would sort of cancel each other out in that regard. I tried to watch the part of the video that discussed it but he kinda glossed over the discussion of NO compared to everything else he had to say about MB. He talks about NO and MB briefly at 2:04:36.

I tried MB for about a month awhile back. I really liked the way it made me feel. I would not say euphoric. But I just would often say to myself “I really feel good today”. I felt rested, clear minded, sense of well being. However it seemed I quickly grew a tolerance after a few weeks of daily use. I’d like to bring back MB on some sort of cycle but my concern has always been the NO inhibition. Thoughts?

I felt some of same positive affects you mention, plus my face complexion was clearer to the point that you can easily see it (very few things have that effect). The problem I had (could be just me) was that it made my metabolism slow down, and that is bad for me (since I do have a bit of an issue with metabolism to start with). I wonder that fact that it inhibits NO might be the culprit of slowing down digestion/metabolism?

I have decided to do it in my fasting days which is about 2-4 days monthly. What I also got from it is, that I don’t think it can be something you need/could/should do daily forever. I put it in the category of doing it let say every month or every couple month for one week in doses of 20 drops to 30. Because as you rightly point out your body seems to adjust/get used to it and the benefits subside/stop at that point (if you it for prolonged periods).

2 Likes

Yes, it does. I am still looking for a paper that describes dose vs NO suppression, but the papers I have looked at so far only involve huge doses compared to what I am taking.

Below is a good paper on methylene blue. I don’t worry about the inhibition of NO from the amount I am taking (10mg). The doses they mention 1.5 - 2mg/Kg of body weight are much larger than the dose I am taking (10mg) and it is given IV. There are some other papers where even higher are given to children

The most noticeable result from taking MB, if it significantly affects NO would be an increase in blood pressure. I have not seen this.

There are several supplements that increase NO. Just take some L-arginine and/or L-citrulline supplements with your MB. I don’t even worry about it.

“Methylene blue, an inhibitor of nitric oxide synthase and guanylate cyclase has many uses in medicine. It has been found to improve the hypotension associated with various clinical states.1 It also improves hypoxia and hyper dynamic circulation in cirrhosis of liver and severe hepatopulmonary syndrome”

Methylene Blue: Revisited - PMC.

2 Likes

I am wondering if you watched the same movie? The one I watched was a woman not a man. She explained how MB shuts down inos which upregulates Nitric Oxide production to a dangerous degree. This is what happens in some toxic reactions and why MB is used in these cases. Down regulating inos means that the normal nos pathways (enos and another I cannot recall) are reactivated. Hence MB does not inhibit NO production but actually regulates it. Part of this is also making the production of ATP and NO more efficient.

Other movies from this channel also explain how protien aminos like l arginine are not a good means of upping NO production as this pathway is often not working so well when we are older and taking a bunch of l- arginine can actually just produce a lot of destructive downstream pollution. Eating nitrates, infra red radiation and MB are better options. This is a different pathway that MB actually assists. I am taking beet powder and MB and have always be big on Infra Red, so I will keep you posted. So far so good. My thinking is incredibly clear today and my energy is good.

4 Likes

As a quick update - this combination I mentioned above of beet powder, MB and IR sauna is going extremely well for me. I have followed it three days in a row.

Yesterday was my rapa day when I also start protein fasting. My energy levels and drive was so high that I wished I had a horse and bull whip and some cattle to round up, LOL, truth is I haven’t ridden a horse in 40 years!

I grabbed my husband at dinner time and said let’s go play some basketball before the rain comes instead of eating. There was a huge storm front moving in and we were out shooting hoops like we were kids (he is taking the beet powder, turmeric, MB and saunas too). We got in the car 10 minutes before the rain came and remembered to race home and batten everything down and then raced off again and sat on the ridge in the car laughing and talking watching the storm come in. He was so happy. He kept thanking me and saying he would never forget the day.

My lungs are clearer than I remember them ever having been and my sleep scores were great last night.

I have been doing some other new posture exercises I love and will share soon that are helping too - but the MB, beet powder and sauna combo is quite remarkable, to the point where I kind of feel (in a positive way) like what is coming next?

7 Likes

I should add that I am also using a two part spray first with water and a bit of vinegar (PH about 4) and the second part with water and sodium nitrate before going in the sun every day at midday for 20 - 40 minutes. As skin is our largest organ I am sure this is also contributing to my NO levels generally.

1 Like
2 Likes

A performance coach I follow recommends taking nicotine together with methylene blue for mental performance. Unfortunately I only found 1 paper about the combo;

https://thoraxchirurgie.meduniwien.ac.at/fileadmin/content/OE/thoraxchirurgie/bilder/applied-immunology/akad_arbeiten/diplom/martin_direder-diploma_thesis.pdf

Gone try out the combo in the weekend

3 Likes

I happened upon this article which seems pertinent to this discussion. I didn’t see it already posted with a quick scan.

4 Likes