Inexpensive Serum Blood Test for Rapamycin

Shortly after discovering this thread, I started testing and have done 5 so far (2 results still pending).

I did first one 7 days after a 22mg dose (I usually do 7 mg weekly but happened to be playing with a much higher dose when I discovered test), and it came back with a reading of 1.3, below the reference range of 3.0-20.

The next one I did 90 min after taking a 10 mg dose and came back with only 11.2, followed by a reading of 4.3 from a test only 48 hours later, implying my personal metabolization half-life of only 17.8 hours!

I took one 48 hours after the 4.3 reading test that’s still pending but presumably low, and just took my 5th test an hour ago, 90 min after another 10 mg dose but this time with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, so we’ll see how that goes…

2 Likes

You wrote: Just took my 5th test an hour ago, 90 min after another 10 mg dose - you should be at the 30 ng/mL even at a conservative guess. If less than that - I might wonder about your rapamycin concentration. 10 mg and fresh GFJ - after 90 minutes - I would easily hit 60+ ng/mL.

We’ll see, I’ll let you know next week!

My rapa is legit US Rx from Dr. Green, so wouldn’t think that’s the problem.

Is there a difference between the generic small white 1 mg round pills and the larger triangle white branded (Rapamune I think?) in terms of absorption? Sometimes I get one from the pharmacy and sometimes the other…

these tests all on the generic.

1 Like

Yes – I think the triangular (beige red RD 54 number) - like mine have a very hard shell so get more absorption - past the stomach acids.

I crush my pills sometimes for a hair tonic and it is almost undisolvable even with DSMO. LOL
rapamycin

Mine is USA pharmacuetical.

got 4th report from 48 hours after 4.3 and down to 1.7, implied half-life of 36 hours from that starting level. Makes sense and consistent with chart posted above (or other thread?) that half-life longer from lower starting value.

I’m a little unclear what the ideal values for Tmax and trough level before next dose I should be aiming for. I’ll have to dig around in this thread and here to investigate. I prob saw some hints that didn’t sink in before I started my testing.

Or I suppose I can ask Dr. Green.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I also take CBD and Theracumin(Curcumin), and iirc the former should inhibit Rapa metabolization and the latter seems to increase it and greatly lower AUC: Turmeric Linked to Liver Damage, Decrease in Rapamycin Bioavailability. (Though confusingly I’ve seen it both ways, that Curcumin both inhibits and activates the relevant CYP pathway. I’ll post in the thread about that…)

[side note on CBD. I took it to help sleep, but it cured my Morton’s Neuroma (nerve pain in foot) immediately! I’d had annoying pain in the morning literally every single day for over a year, and a Dr rec’d CDB for sleep, so I gave it a try, and the next morning after being awake for a while I realized that my foot hadn’t hurt at all. So I’ve been taking it every since and the pain hasn’t returned. And it can’t be placebo, because I took it for sleep and it never occurred to me it would help with foot pain…]

1 Like

Yes - you should be a little unclear… nobody really knows for sure. On the Tmax level, in the NIA ITP mouse studies, generally the higher the dose, the better the lifespan increase. In one study ( of the 45+ studies of rapamycin in mice) they did finally find an upper dose of rapamycin that no longer increased lifespan in those female mice. It was an extremely high dose though.

On trough levels, people seem to target under 1ng/ML per here: How to get a Rapamycin (sirolimus) Blood Level Test but again, we don’t have absolute numbers here.

I should note that in mice there is a significant dose / response difference between male mice and female mice. This difference is not seen in humans.

Most of people currently using rapamycin seem to be (in mouse equivalent dosing) in the low levels tested (note: mice were dosed rapamycin in their food, daily, so that is another difference - vs. us using rapamycin dosed once weekly or so).

Here are the National Institutes on Aging Results from their rapamycin studies (these are the best rapamycin studies):

Sirolimus
Dose
mg/kg/day
Dose
Blood/Sirolimus
Level
Male Median LS Increase Female Median LS Increase
4.7ppm ∼2.24 3 to 4 ng/mL 3% 16%
14ppm ~6.67 9-16 ng/mL 13% 21%
42ppm ~20 23-80 ng/mL 23% 26%

Here are results from all the higher dose studies I could find:

Sirolimus
Dose
Mouse
mg/kg/day
Dose
Mouse:
Blood/Sirolimus
Level
Human
mg/kg/day
Dose
Dose for 60kg Human Daily Dose adjusted for longer half-life (/4)
4.7ppm ∼2.24 3 to 4 ng/mL 0.182 mg/kg 10.92 mg 2.73 mg
14ppm ~6.67 9-16 ng/mL 0.542 mg/kg 32.54 mg 8.135 mg
42ppm ~20 23-80 ng/mL 1.626 mg/kg 97.56 mg 24.39 mg
126ppm ~60 4.878 mg/kg 292.68 mg 73.17 mg
378ppm ~180 45 to 1800 ng/mL 14.634 mg/kg 878.04 mg 218 mg

Based on the FDA animal to human dosing conversion guide here.

Note: ½ life for sirolimus in mice is approx. 15 hours, vs. approx. 62 hours in humans. So, mice metabolize sirolimus approximately 4 times faster than humans.

4 Likes

Fantastic, thanks!

You just saved me countless hours I had intended to spend to collect and convert (after figuring out how to convert) that data!

2 Likes

Thats what the site is for… everyone shares the work they do do, and the data they gather, so that everyone doesn’t have to do it all themselves!

3 Likes

Well, just got my results back after 10mg + fresh grapefruit juice (and I ate pulp for good measure) + swig of olive oil: only 15.6

That’s compared to previous 10 mg dose on empty stomach which led to 11.2

Both after 90 minutes. Maybe I need to wait longer to test?

1 Like

I’m not sure waiting longer will make a difference I wait just an hour and a 1/2 and get 6 to 7 times the increase.

Everyone is different.

1 Like

But good for you for taking the measurements.

This is the only way that you’re going to know how your body is responding to GFJ and your dose of rapamycin.

Here’s my result. This is about 90 minutes after taking 2 1mg Biocon pills together with 2 1mg Zydus pills with half a small red grapefruit, 2Tbs of EVOO, washed down with a small amount of pasteurized red grapefruit juice. The test result also puts to rest the notion that the Indian product is fake or ineffective.

Sirolimus (Rapamune), Blood
Test Current Result
Sirolimus, Blood 31.8 ng/mL Reference interval 3.0-20.0

3 Likes

Is Marek Health still offering the sirolimus test? Link didn’t work for me

If not, who has the cheapest test?

The link works for me.

You’re right - doesn’t work on mobile for me, but works on PC

FWIW, there is a small check :heavy_check_mark: that is difficult to see that must be checked to process.

1 Like

They changed their website, so old direct link doesn’t work, but this one seems to:

If that doesn’t you can go to “Lab Builder” and search for test

1 Like

Ok, finally I got some proper absorption leading to solid peak blood level.

I think the relevant change was stopping my Theracumin/Curcumin for 10+ days. I also slightly altered two other things: this time I ate a grapefruit the night before AND and hour before, vs just 1 gf an hour before last time, and I took a much bigger swig or two of olive oil with the dose, as opposed to a smaller but still solid swing last time:

(I also upped the dose from 10 to 12, but that change is easy to account for.)

Oh, also for good measure I waited 3 hours to test rather than just over 1 hour the previous time, in case I was just a slow absorber. Figure I’d get closer to peak because making sure it was fully absorbed would overwhelm the little bit of metabolism I’d do in the 2 hours.

This time I hit 43.6, vs 15.6 last time. (Normalizing 12mg to 10 mg dose: 36.3 v 15.6):

Still seems like I absorb less than @Agetron, but I’ll take this result and will make this my new protocol, though I may play with the dose more. And at least I know the pills I’m taking are good.

Doing another test today (5 days later) to get another read-out on my half-life now that I eliminated Curcumin…stay tuned.

ps no noticeable side effects at this blood level for me…

2 Likes

Kind of shocking to get that warning… 8mg and a glass of GFJ - I hit 56.9 ng/mL – whoops - a 7x’s increase with the GFJ. And, had diarrhea for a few days. Just goes to show how we all aborb rapamycin differently.

Labcorp test July 18, 2022 56.9 ng/mL

Having Labcorp results… like me - you are better able to control the dose with GFJ. I will get my blood tested again in a month (April 2023) and do 2mg rapamycin and one Red Grapefuit squeezed for juice. If I am consistent - I should get a 12 ng/mL result which is what I am shooting for as my current dose.

I should have my TruDiagnositc results soon and can see if the reduced rapamycin from 36 ng/mL the 7 months to 12 ng/mL for the past 3 months has been better for my biological age.

4 Likes