In Person Meetup Groups

At the moment there are two possible days that seem to suit people Tuesday and Friday (without any votes that they are impossible). On the voting for days Tuesday is one vote in front of Friday. It is probably best to be reasonably consistent with the day of the week. No one has voted that Friday or Tuesday are impossible. Monday is as popular as Tuesday, but is also equally in the lead in terms of days on which not to hold the events.

Taking everything into account (including the fact that we have a proposed guest and agenda for Friday May 10) I would therefore provisionally propose that we use the time of 1pm on Friday May 10th (Eastern Time - which is summer time) and if @Joseph_Lavelle can invite Vyvyane that would be good.

However, can anyone who thinks this is a bad idea please say so pretty quickly. If @Joseph_Lavelle can give Vyvyane my email address (or me hers) that would be helpful.

5 Likes

Dr Vyvyane Loh has asked for the details of her website to be posted in this forum:

https://vyvyanelohmd.com

If people have specific questions the would like her to be given notice of then please post them in this forum and I will email her before the event.

We are going for 1pm Eastern Summer TIme (6pm British Summer Time) on 10th May 2024.

4 Likes

Florida also, Naples

1 Like

Dr Loh was recently interviewed on STEM Talk. Do you know what topic she’d like to present?

I think local meetups are a great idea, if there are a sufficient number of members in an area. I’m in the Toronto area and will meet up with another member in May. If there is anyone else in the area that wants to join please message me.

2 Likes

She is going to do something similar to “Caveats on mTOR”

3 Likes

I have created an event on my zoom account and the link follows. I intend reposting this later. As it stands I am not trying to have a registration system. However, sometimes people try to sabotage online events and if that starts happening we will have to use a registration system.

John Hemming is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Rapamycin News Community Event
Time: May 10, 2024 06:00 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 857 0534 8525
Passcode: 832374

8 Likes

This interests me as well. Particularly 17-alpha-Estradiol.

3 Likes

Same here: in person or online.

Is there anyone from Australia :joy:

I thought I would give this a bump up. I will check with the speaker at some point, but this is planned for Friday 10th.

3 Likes

Thx for bumping and I plan to attend your zoom. Thx for setting it up. I probably can’t log on before 6:15pm your time. Looking forward…

1 Like

Can I assume this is still on for tomorrow ?

2 Likes

I checked with Dr Loh a couple of days ago and we are ready for takeoff.

4 Likes

Just for the rest of us in the US, I believe 6pm London time tomorrow translates to:
1pm NY Time
10am California time

5 Likes

A quick bounce for this topic.

1 Like

this has just started. join in!

1 Like

Thank you @John_Hemming!

1 Like

Yes - thanks for organizing the talk John.

Probably not a bad thing to have a reminder that rapamycin and mTORC1 is very complex and we still don’t have many answers in terms of details about its impact on people on varying dosing schedules and variations in nutrient inputs, etc., to say nothing of mTORC2. I took this as a cautionary effort by Dr. Loh, in essence to remind us to be careful as things are complex and we don’t fully understand the interactions in our own specific cases.

For many of us I suspect the technical depth was greater than we are used to. To maximize the benefits from these types of events for all involved it might be helpful in the future to characterize the anticipated technical knowledge of the participants, and to pre-identify some questions that we are generally interested in.

6 Likes

Thanks @John_Hemming for organizing that talk.

I found the talk was very interesting and I was pretty happy that it did go into much more depth than the usual talks.
BTW I would be interested in the references to the papers she mentioned.

2 Likes