In Person Meetup Groups

Works for me (but am on BST :slight_smile: )

@John_Hemming, that sounds fantastic. Obviously I didn’t read this message in time for today but if this is a regular meeting I’d love to attend sometime.

1 Like

I’m happy to meet up in person in London.
Anyone else in London?

2 Likes

I’m in Los Angeles in case anyone else is around here.

3 Likes

Would love to do an in person meetup but looking at the replies I see how far flung we are. I’m in Connecticut. Looks like it would need to be virtual which is just not the same dynamic.

1 Like

I think, however, there is an appetite for some virtual meetups. My thoughts are to set a date and time a few days in advance and highlight that on this thread. We can then discuss how to take this forward. It may be worth a conversation once a month on a regular day of the week (like 3rd Thursday or something like that).

2 Likes

I agree. Maybe we should have an agenda building thread for topics, and a way to set an agenda for each meeting.

Brainstorming:

• 1 person volunteers to prepare and send out something for a single agenda item: a paper to discuss, the results of a personal experiment with supporting data, etc.?
  • Maybe only 1 or 2 items per meeting?
  • keep meetings short by doing almost everything asynchronously … meeting is for real time discussion?
  • have a way to record sessions for asynchronous consumption by people who couldn’t make the meeting?

@John_Hemming has experience with this. I nominate him to lead this effort.

2 Likes

What I suggest we do is provisionally start with 6pm BST which is 1pm Eastern Time on the third thursday each month (ie next Thursday to start). Aiming for an hour maximum.

Suggestions for a topic.

3 Likes

Please do say, however, if the day in the week is bad or the time should shift. It may be better to go for the 4th Thursday in the month. This will give more time for the first occasion which would help in terms of preparation.

Also @Joseph_Lavelle suggested it should be recorded. I am happy with this. Is everyone else?

2 Likes

People do not have to share real names or use video if confidentiality is a concern.

My availability midday and midweek will be limited. My schedule is better on weekends or evenings. I am eastern time zone (New York time in USA)

1 Like

I think i should do a poll on timing. I am ok with saturday. What i intend doing therefore is work out the best timing whilst also asking for an agenda. We should be able to decide both things simultaneously.

3 Likes

I freeze myself (cryotherapy) on Thursday evenings. I suspect this group will have many of these off beat conflicting appointments :joy:

4 Likes

In terms of time I think something in the range of 11am Eastern New York Time to 1pm New York Time which is 4pm to 6pm UK time is the target range. The earlier part of this may enable participation from Hong Kong as well as the West Coast of the USA.

Hence it is really a question of working out (for one event each month) what the workable days are. Hence I have a poll below where I ask people to indicate the day of the week that works for them (given that it has to be timed at a time when most people are normally awake, which will be the morning on the West Coast of the USA).

• Mondays
  • Tuesdays
  • Wednesdays
  • Thursdays
  • Fridays
  • Saturdays
  • Sundays

0 voters

Hi there! I’m in Orange County.

1 Like

The best day is varying, but we need also a subject or two.

1 Like

What was common for us in grad school was a “seminar” or research paper group: each of us would select a paper and then present it to the group. The person presenting the paper was expected to do actual homework and be prepared to substantially defend the work (or logically tear it to shreads, although the “positive” presentations are more useful unless the paper being trashed is a seminal work with a weak trial/assumptions/analysis/etc). Given the deep research base of this group and desire for direct knowledge, maybe a thought?

3 Likes

Realistically only a select few people are going to give presentations about their pet theories.

2 Likes

Ok people sign up for their paper, we “advertise” it on the forum, and whoever goes, goes. If they have an unpopular paper/topic and/or they are considered a closed-minded tribal argumentative jerk, no-one will sign up to listen. Alternatively, if people are interested in their perspective on an interesting/controversial paper, many people may sign up. Just like life.

3 Likes

I’d be up for in person or zoom! I’m a couple hours from SF.

I don’t mind giving a presentation about my pet theory (as I did to Hacking Aging), but I think it would be better if I am organising this to have a different subject for at least the first of these.

2 Likes