Impressive Biological Age Reductions with Rapamycin (anecdotal)

Phil wrote: Dude you don’t even look like the same person.

Hahaha… I get that a lot… only 6 years difference. One of the medical university students at the school gym tonight told me … you look 50 years … I will take it… I told him to come to this site. He seemed impressed.

TBH…I dont feel the same either… got my 30’s attitude, swagger and constant euphoria… must be on rapa ecstasy. Lol.

6 Likes

Where did you say you sourced your Rapamycin from again??? :wink:

1 Like

My rapamycin… actually generic sirolimus is a prescription by my General Practioner (GP) - my personal physician.

I check in with him every 3-4 months for a full blood work up literally almost every possible aspect of blood with CBC, testosterone, vitamins, cholesterol… etc…

All has been well the past 2 years and 4 months… just saw him 2 weeks ago… he ordered a DEXA bone density and body composition (muscle and fat) scan… I have it on Dec. 5th. My first scan of this type. Will post results.

My sirolimus pills come from Accredo Pharmacy.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Lol, the true answer might be me

1 Like

Where are your biomarkers/data/testing/documentation?

1 Like

HI Mike - lol, well yeah, I should have said having a bone density scan.

That said, Bone strength is determined by bone geometry, cortical thickness and porosity, trabecular bone morphology, and intrinsic properties of bony tissue. Bone strength is indirectly estimated by bone mineral density (BMD) using dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA).
Link: Important determinants of bone strength: beyond bone mineral density - PubMed.

Will see what they say. As you point out other tests could give more information on strength per the pubmed article.

I feel better about my epigenetic age test after watching Michael Lustgartens video below. He has the same problem I have. I no longer feel alone…

1 Like

Just an FYI - here is an example of a full TrueDiagnostic report I was sent recently, thought people might like to see it:

TruAge Report Oct 27 2022.pdf (3.8 MB)

4 Likes

After watching the video, Michael believes that the increase in biological age could be from increased fat intake specifically from nuts. He may have hit the nail on the head as I eat A LOT of almonds every day as my go to snack at work for energy. Michael will be doing a but test for his next epigenetic test.

But if eating a lot of nuts increases your epigenetic age by many years, does that really make sense? Does a high nut diet really take 5-7 years off your life???

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I think the Methylation ages are interesting, but not necessarily a good therapeutic target. The Buck video about reading age from the balance of T cells is quite a good video. Much that they argue their methylation clock is better I am not sure that this is the best way.

I am coming solidly down on the side of identifying functional tests and including in that biomarkers.
These can be used to predict mortality so they clear have some merit.

3 Likes

Has anyone noticed a significant change in DunedinPACE right after taking rapamycin? DunedinPACE supposedly measures “instantaneous rate of aging” (it takes current age out) and is the only clock responsive to the gold standard of calorie restriction (so far) so it presumably should be malleable to intervention? Yet it also has higher inter-test consistency than the other clocks, which (on that basis alone) is suggestive of it being slower to change in response to any intervention on short-timescales (maybe not necessarily on longer timescales).

After watching the video, Michael believes that the increase in biological age could be from increased fat intake specifically from nuts. He may have hit the nail on the head as I eat A LOT of almonds every day as my go to snack at work for energy. Michael will be doing a but test for his next epigenetic test.

But if eating a lot of nuts increases your epigenetic age by many years, does that really make sense? Does a high nut diet really take 5-7 years off your life???

He did not even eat that many more nuts in between test#2 and test#3. Certainly not as much as my occasional 2000+ calorie almond binges (I don’t do them as much now, especially b/c I know I can use beans+acarbose instead when hungry). It’s N=1 and his “epigenetic age acceleration” is well within the standard error of these tests so his changes between each test are not (yet) convincing of the effect size/direction of anything different he did between tests, esp b/c the interventions he’s willing to take are very modest compared to interventions others are willing to take.

3 Likes

Still another age test. (Hope no one has already posted this) This one does not rely on blood markers. It is rather different, but I like it because; A, I have a “non-accelerated aging rate”, B, because it shows my “Estimation of Anthropometric Age (AnthropoAge)” is 10 years younger than I am. It can also add factors that distinguish between males and females.

https://bellolab.shinyapps.io/anthropoage/

3 Likes

Hate it! I thought I was in pretty good shape and it gives me a lousy 2 years off my age.

1 Like

Hey mushroom farmer… i got a 10 year difference… which actual 10 to 15 years is typical in my biological blood and spit tests. And Levine test too.

Maybe I am greedy…but I am looking for a 20 year biological age difference with my addition of Acarbose (and a few other supplements touted in this site) and my adjusted rapamycin dose. Retest in 6 months.

2 Likes

Apart from the underlying problems with epigenetic age in that two samples from the same person taken at the same time can vary by 9 years I think there is perhaps a bigger issue.

As people know I have a hypothesis about aging in that it mainly occurs through a restriction in Acetyl-CoA in the nucleus and that there are two systems that cause this which are a lack of mitochondrial quality and a high level of senescent cells. Both of these are localised. The mitochondrial issue is localised to the cell and the effect of SASP from senescent cells is higher on cells closer to them.

Even if you don’t accept my hypothesis the evidence is clear that senescent cells are patchy and individual cells will be in a varying state.

Therefore any “biological age” will only be an average of the state of the body overall. This obviously cannot just be measured from the state of immune cells that are found in the saliva (which is how many of these tests work).

The other systems are helpful in themselves, but really to be tracking health the state of as many organs in the body as possible need to be considered - if you are to produce an aggregate biological age. Different sorts of functional tests and biomarkers can be used for this.

4 Likes

Another calculator

4 Likes

I was wondering since you seem to have health records for some time If you could go back to the time just before you started taking rapamycin and plug in the values you had then into the Levine age calculator spreadsheet.
Is your age on the spreadsheet better before you started taking rapamycin?

My epigenetic age on the spreadsheet was 17 years younger before I started taking rapamycin.

1 Like

Hey bud!
My pre-rapamycin Levine age score was 3 years older than my chronological age - damn. I was 61 years and it had me at 64 years.

After 2 1/2 years of rapamycin I put in my numbers again. I gained back those 3 years and nine more. At chronological age 64 it has me now at 52 years. So I guess there was a significant change.

3 Likes

Well, good for you! I am still in a quandary about why my epigenetic age increased after I started on rapamycin.
Were you in good shape before you started rapamycin and did you have a normal BMI?

2 Likes

I was actually in pretty good shape - more muscular build weight 196 pounds. Gym every other day previous 3 years. Now more toned 181 pounds.

1 Like