If you could only take 10 supplements a day, what would they be?

The ITP is doing another round of studies on astaxanthin. The first study equated to about 3grams per day, and I think the new round is going to be equivalent to about 800mg per day (for humans). It seems they are not too hopeful about really low dosing that is really the only option due to cost right now (ie, under 100mg/day).

2 Likes

My astaxanthin capsules (NOW brand) are 4 mg. So I would need 200 to get to 800 mg. If such low doses are unrealistic for benefit, why the disconnect with what supplement makers are putting on the market?

1 Like

It was also my understanding that the ITP and Dr Miller consulated with supplement makers on what would be reasonable doses to test, so why would they test doses that are so different than what is on the market?

They choose the dosing to get the best possible result. Their goal is to find the most effective doses (and initially choose the dose that the experts feel is the most likely to result in a positive life extension).

1 Like

Since the ITP used synthetic astaxanthin and this article says that natural astaxanthin could be from 14-90 times more potent maybe the difference isn’t as great as it looks at first glance.

https://www.nutraingredients-asia.com/Article/2020/01/29/Naturally-good-Natural-astaxanthin-top-form-for-functionality-and-antioxidant-activity-Review

I would not put much value in that article… I believe it was written by a consultant (or a person who gets money from) the “natural astanxanthin” industry.

In fact there are many reasons to think the opposite may be true, that the synthetic is better than the natural. See this thread: Astaxanthin, Natural vs. Synthetic - Your Thoughts?

5 Likes

I do think aged garlic is better. I will say though that I’m sure the biggest drop in my blood pressure was a result of lifestyle changes (diet/weight loss and exercise). I started taking aged garlic to help reduce my blood pressure quicker than I could lose the weight. It did help some within the first week of taking it. I just keep taking it but I might trial without it in the near future. Especially since I started taking the nitric oxide product from Berkeley Life. It actually works and proven to work based a saliva test sticks unlike beet powder, citrulline or arginine. I might try to include my blueberries in my diet!

2 Likes

Thanks, just reviewed. Indeed it makes it difficult for us experimenters when it’s so hard to try out what the ITP did with astaxanthin or even know if it’s safe in humans. Any idea on what blood biomarkers would improve with astaxanthin?

Did you feel anything from taking 400 mg? Or notice changes in your blood tests?

1 Like

how does creatin help ? My dr suggested this I havent started yet

I think part of it is that they are perhaps more interested in uncovering pathways and understanding mechanisms that can modulate aging (that providing us biohackers a direct blue print ,)

With that knowledge new medicines that could be even more targeted and impactful could be developed.

It’s just curious to me how they decide to test that dose. “they consult with the experts and researchers”. But where are other studies that have used doses that high?

I’ve not looked, but usually there is a ton of smaller, unpublished efforts by researchers that guide decisions like this.

for example, the key endpoint in the recent rapamycin PEARL study, (reduction in visceral fat) was based on a small unpublished study that one of the key designers of the study had experience with.

2 Likes

Creatine has lots of benefits. Nothing directly to do with longevity, afaik.

I take it because I look slightly better in the mirror, compared to when I don’t.

1 Like

Top5 from this topic :

Glycine : 14
Magnesium : 13
Fish Oil-Omega 3 : 13
Taurine : 12
Vitamin D3 : 10

3 Likes

Rapamycin
Metformin
Acarbose
AKG
Fisetin
Lithium
NAD (NR)
Astaxanthin
Vitamin D3
Matter (from Elysium)

I’m currently taking these along with Altace (Ramipril), Lescol (Fluvastatin) CoQ10, Mg, Boron, Creatine and Taurine.

5 Likes

Antonio - I notice on your profile you responded:

Your Rapamycin Benefits?: repigmentation of hair

Can you share more about your results with your hair?

2 Likes

seems like the main thing is it builds your muscles?

1 Like

Vitamin D
Vitamin K
Fish Oil
Krill Oil
Astaxanthin & Lutein & Zeaxanthin
Creatine
Magnesium
Zinc
Vitamin C
Multi Vitamin

1 Like

It can lower homocysteine - especially in people who are meat protein restricted. And homocysteine might be bad for longevity.

2 Likes

Just for fyi- I started taking MSM couple days ago and boy is that thing really dangerous. It makes you so depressed it’s unreal (even if you are the most upbeat type this thing messed you up real well). Stay away from it, or at very least proceed with caution.

2 Likes